BKC or Other Suggestion?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Useeverycolor

BKC or Other Suggestion?

Post by Useeverycolor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:20 am

Hey guys. I haven't posted in years because I wasn't kayaking much. I just sold my 20' motor boat and am shopping for a pedal drive yak to replace it. I am leaning towards the Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC PK13 due to price and reviews. Do any of you have one and can tell me what you think of it? Any other suggestions for a pedal drive kayak right around or under $2,000?

Chris17

Re: BKC or Other Suggestion?

Post by Chris17 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:51 pm

From what I can tell the BKC yaks are most likely imported from China and customer service doesn't seem great. In addition I've never been able to find anything out about their pedal drive (gear ratio, materials, etc.)

If you're interested in going cheap then the Riot Mako 10 or 12 looks decent. Probably made in China, but looks to be of better quality.

Lightning Kayaks has a fin driven kayak - the Strike HD, for right around $1,750. Made in America (including the drive). The Vibe Shearwater is another fin driven option that's coming out this year that would fit your budget.

Here's a list of all the pedal kayaks currently available in the US.

Hope this helps!

RLend

Re: BKC or Other Suggestion?

Post by RLend » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Look at the Old Town Topwater 106 PDL. You can get one new in your price range and it has a nice pedal drive. I have one and I am very pleased with it.
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback