Kayak fly fishing

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Endaon

Kayak fly fishing

Post by Endaon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 am

Wanted to get some feedback from the kayak fishermen here. I am very interested right now in kayak fishing and wanted to get some honest opinions (good or bad). I live in an area that offers a lot of warm water fishing. At least 3 major rivers and one lake within 20 minutes. I probably would mostly use it for river fishing for smallies. I can wade fish some parts of these rivers but a lot of good water warrants some type of water craft. So my questions are....was obtaining a kayak a gamechanger for you? What elements of kayak fishing are challenging? Tips or tricks to smooth those challenges out and then you're overall pros to kayak fishing. I have my eye on several models right now that are geared toward fly fishing (i.e. smooth deck for casting and minimal snag points).

And one more we bit of help i am going to reproof my jacket ( scierra) like here https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-heated-jackets/ and bib n brace (snowbee) any recomendations on the best stuff to buy or the best method to use.
Last edited by Endaon on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jwray

Re: Kayak fly fishing

Post by Jwray » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:44 am

To be able to get off the bank in any vessel is a game changer. The places you can get into and even paddle to and get out on a different bank. I have a boat, canoe, and several kayaks. I spend most of my time in the kayak. My advice for kayak fishing is to keep it simple. Don’t bring tons of crap that you don’t need.