2nd Kayak

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Traveller

2nd Kayak

Post by Traveller » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 pm

Good evening, all! My wife and I have Hobie Outbacks - she "inherited" my 2015 when I bought a 2019. We bought a Rack-n Rolls trailer to haul them around. We love those kayaks, but I am thinking about getting a lighter SOT kayak that I could put in the bed of my pickup truck and fish anyplace I want to go without hitching up the trailer and dealing with the weight of the Hobie.

I'd like to get a kayak under 60 pounds if possible. Stable, safe, and a good seat are important. I don't think I can match the Outback for comfortable seating, but I really don't want to sit on a hard, molded plastic seat.

Any recommendations?

RLend

Re: 2nd Kayak

Post by RLend » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Based on what your requirements are I would recommend a Native Slayer 10. It comes in at around 60lbs unrigged and is a pedal drive option that is lighter. Something to consider at least.
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback

Chris17

Post by Chris17 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 pm

Second on the Native Slayer Propel 10; I don't think you can find a lighter pedal kayak if that's what you're after. There are some other good options for lighter fishing yaks here:

https://yaklogic.com/lightweight-fishing-kayaks/

Native also has a 12' version that's extra light, the Slayer Propel 12 LT, 63 lbs without chair and drive.

BrandonMllr

Post by BrandonMllr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:52 pm

RLend wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:49 pm
Based on what your requirements are I would recommend a Native Slayer 10. It comes in at around 60lbs unrigged and is a pedal drive option that is lighter. Something to consider at least.
I also have Native Slayer 10. From personal experience I will tell you with confidence that it is really good!

Slasher

Post by Slasher » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 pm

I have a crescent kayak ultra-lite

55# comfy seat
But it’s a river boat here in ga
It’s pretty sporty yet tracks very well!!!

Austin Kayak I know carry’s them
They’re made in the USA and a steal at $699

Or call James direct

He’ll ship to your house

peterd

Post by peterd » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 am

Traveller wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:06 pm
Good evening, all! My wife and I have Hobie Outbacks - she "inherited" my 2015 when I bought a 2019. We bought a Rack-n Rolls trailer to haul them around. We love those kayaks, but I am thinking about getting a lighter SOT kayak that I could put in the bed of my pickup truck and fish anyplace I want to go without hitching up the trailer and dealing with the weight of the Hobie.

I'd like to get a kayak under 60 pounds if possible. Stable, safe, and a good seat are important. I don't think I can match the Outback for comfortable seating, but I really don't want to sit on a hard, molded plastic seat.

Any recommendations?
Just passing by, but just in case - seats are pretty easy to replace.
But if you're still choosing, my wife is pretty happy with Vibe Skipjack, it's 42 lbs, so maybe it'll suit your needs as well. Need to warn you, the capacity is low. But it's very maneuverable.
As another option, in our local club when my daughter is training they use kayaks from Perception, not sure which model exactly, but these are lightweight as well and about 12" length.

Good hunting!