Fl Laws fishing near docks/marinas

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

nofanspatton

Fl Laws fishing near docks/marinas

Post by nofanspatton » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Hey all, its been a while since I've been out fishing but talking with a buddy who's son was recently runoff by marina staff for fishing "too close" to someones dock from a kayak. I know I've had a few instances with unhappy dock owners asking me to fish elsewhere. Every time it's happened to me I usually say "sure, have a great day" and move on down the creek because I'm there for fun, not a confrontation. But this conversation got me wondering, what does the law say about this? It sounds crazy to think someone can own a waterway but maybe they can? Anyone have an feedback or links to the law in florida? Thanks for any feedback.

dogyak

Re: Fl Laws fishing near docks/marinas

Post by dogyak » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:28 pm

There are no restrictions , in the state of Florida . On public waterways . As long as you don't step on their property or dock . You are legal . It is in the Florida Statue . I carry it with me , when I'm duck hunting on public waterways , like blackcreek . Actually , the marine staff , could have been arrested . If the boy's father wanted to pushed charges . The FWC officer would have charged them with harassment . Reason why I carry it with me , because local law enforcement officers . Some of them don't know the statue , concerning sportmans rights .

Jwray

Post by Jwray » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Like dogyak said, there are statutes that protect fishermen and hunters from being harassed. Do like dogyak and print them and keep them with you.

TRW

Post by TRW » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am

The state owns the waterway and river bottom but gives a person permission to put their dock in a specific location. The dock belongs to the one that applied for the permits to build it but that is it.

My grandparents lived on the river and owned a dock with an enclosed boathouse. There was always a concern that someone would take something while fishing and it raised our eyebrows when we saw someone fishing by our boathouse. We never said anything to anyone but if you are near their boat I understand their concern.

Then of all things, I have a friend that has a house on Lake Jewel, Interlachen. If you caught her pet bass she's been feeding she would be pissed.

nofanspatton

Post by nofanspatton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 pm

thanks for the replies everyone! Very helpful and interesting to learn this. anyone happen to have a link to said florida laws mentioned? IF not, I'll look it up and if i find it I'll link it back here.

nofanspatton

Post by nofanspatton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:24 pm

A little searching and poof, here is link.

http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forum ... ocks.8510/