Dutton Island 8/18

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Jiggle

Dutton Island 8/18

Post by Jiggle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Went out this morning with the intention of getting a couple hours in before the rain started. Six hours later, I was sunburnt and still hadn’t seen a drop of rain.

Caught several barely-too-small reds, a couple very small ones, and a 22” one that went in the cooler. Also caught a lady fish and a small jack.

Overall a fun day, though I was disappointed to go home without any flounder.

With my limited experience kayak fishing, Dutton Island has quickly become my favorite place to fish. No boat traffic, and there’s usually pretty girls on paddle boards on weekend mornings. I highly recommend it to anybody trying to get comfortable in a kayak without fighting crowds.

JohnYaksJax

Re: Dutton Island 8/18

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Hello Jiggle and thanks for the fishing report, and Congrats on getting a good redfish for supper!!

I also like Dutton Island since I live in Neptune Beach and can get there in about 10 minutes...IF I AM PACKED AND THE YAK IS LOADED!! I do better at other "kayak friendly" launches, but the paddleboard scenery is certainly very good...... :cool: :roll:

I also like both the docks for launching and fishing, depending on how many people are around, and the lack of powerboats is a blessing if you only fish weekends.....Good Luck and Tight Lines!!
JohnYaksJax

SlotEnthusiast

Post by SlotEnthusiast » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Jiggle wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Went out this morning with the intention of getting a couple hours in before the rain started. Six hours later, I was sunburnt and still hadn’t seen a drop of rain.

Caught several barely-too-small reds, a couple very small ones, and a 22” one that went in the cooler. Also caught a lady fish and a small jack.

With my limited experience kayak fishing, Dutton Island has quickly become my favorite place to fish. No boat traffic, and there’s usually pretty girls on paddle boards on weekend mornings. I highly recommend it to anybody trying to get comfortable in a kayak without fighting crowds.

I do agree about the nice looking "scenery" at dutty! I have gotten a dirty look from my gf more than once while fishing there :lol:
Conrgrats on the success though! I usually catch so many flounder there that it is hard to move spots, because I don't want to move and not catch anything lol! Next time I go I want to check out the channel under the bridge (when driving in) or at least those oyster beds near there to see if i can grab a few reds.

The flounder usually crush the mud minnows and gulp shrimp dragging across the bottom, hope that helps!

Jiggle

Post by Jiggle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 pm

SlotEnthusiast wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 pm
Jiggle wrote:

I do agree about the nice looking "scenery" at dutty! I have gotten a dirty look from my gf more than once while fishing there :lol:
Conrgrats on the success though! I usually catch so many flounder there that it is hard to move spots, because I don't want to move and not catch anything lol! Next time I go I want to check out the channel under the bridge (when driving in) or at least those oyster beds near there to see if i can grab a few reds.

The flounder usually crush the mud minnows and gulp shrimp dragging across the bottom, hope that helps!

I only use muds, as my fingers have some kind of allergic reaction to shrimp. I have caught a number of keeper flounder, and nearly as many keeper reds there, all on muds. I have a spot nearby that has been very productive for reds that I’d be willing to share if you want to meet up there sometime. I’ll probably be there again a week from Sunday (Saturdays are now off limits due to college football!).

SlotEnthusiast

Post by SlotEnthusiast » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 am

Jiggle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 pm
SlotEnthusiast wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 pm
Jiggle wrote:

I only use muds, as my fingers have some kind of allergic reaction to shrimp. I have caught a number of keeper flounder, and nearly as many keeper reds there, all on muds. I have a spot nearby that has been very productive for reds that I’d be willing to share if you want to meet up there sometime. I’ll probably be there again a week from Sunday (Saturdays are now off limits due to college football!).
So a week from Sunday I will be traveling back from Indianapolis and probably wont be back in time to get out there, however, if you are free the following Sunday I can join you during the morning. My Sundays are all about the Bucs starting 9/8 but after checking their schedule, I see that they don't play until 4:05 so I would be free until about 330!

Id love to go out with you though! Shoot me a DM and we can plan it