Fishing Low tides that aren’t very low

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Bugelingkayaker

Fishing Low tides that aren’t very low

Post by Bugelingkayaker » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Well up until my last couple outings I had been hugely improving my confidence and success rates out in the marsh by palms fish camp. I’ve been primarily fishingn eddies outside of narrow creek mouths and steep sided oyster beds adjacent to deep water during the last couple hours of falling tide. Have been having lots of success boating tons of trout, multiple 30+ inch reds, and an occasional flounder. However last few days (like today) I went out and the lowest low tide was almost a foot higher than it had been previously, and none of the reliable creek mouths or oyster beds were producing fish. I’m assuming the higher water level meant baitfish weren’t being concentrated as well as before which probably impacted activity. Does anyone have different strategies for how you fish these conditions vs more normal falling tide conditions? Do you try different parts of the creeks or avoid the creeks all together and go deep?
Today was the first day this year out of numerous outings that I got totally skunked, and I’m trying to figure out what I can learn from this.
Thanks in advance for any help!

tadpole

Re: Fishing Low tides that aren’t very low

Post by tadpole » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:38 am

We all get skunked every once in a while - me more than most! I could write a book about it, but I don't think it would sell....

Seriously, the record you claim is pretty darn good, and I have no reason to doubt you. What you have accomplished hasn't been all luck. It came from somewhere. Take joy from the discovery, rather than the result.

Or, you could commit to eating your leftover bait for dinner if you don't bring home any fish. That's why I always use shrimp. Mud minnows are NOT good. :pukeright:

Now that I'm finished messing with you - I have no idea what to tell you. Good luck, and many tight lines! ;)
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

JohnYaksJax

Re: Fishing Low tides that aren’t very low

Post by JohnYaksJax » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Hello Bugelingkayaker and Welcome to JKF!!

I am almost always a "last of the outgoing tide and first of the incoming tide" which makes me a Low Tide Fisherman also. Congrats on your success so far....
I think you have that method figured out pretty well, but you may need to adjust it a little bit for either "low tides" that are not the normal lows and the same for low tides that are higher than normal.
There are many variables that change the "low tide" predictions.

BTW...I get the local weekly rag..."The Beaches Leader" and opened it to the fishing reports page and the title of the article is: "Use this weekend's negative low tide to look for new fishing sports"....Honest!!
It looks to be very interesting info, so check it out..only costs $1.00 per week or $0.67 if you subscribe for a year....GOOD LUCK!!
JohnYaksJax