New to Kayak Fishing - What to buy?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

GatorFish

New to Kayak Fishing - What to buy?

Post by GatorFish » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 am

Hey guys, I'm a longtime lurker and I think I'll be purchasing my first kayak soon! I've never owned a boat or kayak of any sort but I feel pretty limited in the water I can cover with just wading, plus there just aren't many places to wade in our area, so I think it's time for me to step up to the next level. I have a roughly two years before I go off to school again so I want to maximize my time on the water while I work!

I've only looked into buying a used kayak for budget reasons and I'm unsure on which route I should go. From my standpoint, I have 2 options. Option 1 is to spend about $500-700 and get a regular kayak that comes with accessories and all rigged up ready to go. Option 2 is to get a Hobie in the price range of $1000-1200 but it might be an older model and probably comes with less accessories. I'm leaning towards getting the Hobie since I'll likely want to upgrade later on anyways but I know the convenience and efficiency is a luxury not necessity. If I decide to buy a used Hobie, is there anything I should look out for when examining it?

I'd appreciate any tips on all of this because I'm a complete newbie! I look forward to my time here :)

JohnYaksJax

Re: New to Kayak Fishing - What to buy?

Post by JohnYaksJax » Wed May 29, 2019 2:11 pm

MY favorite recommendation is to set YOUR CRITERIA, narrow it down to 2-3 of the ones that fit your criteria, test paddle them if at all possible, and buy the best one for YOU!!

Consider the criteria of:
-Storage and security of the kayak
-Transporting it to your fishing spots and road trips
-Storage in the kayak for gear such as rod holders, stake out poles, anchoring systems, storage of coolers and bait buckets and tackle boxes and cast nets and stuff
-Weight of the kayak and what you can carry and lift
-Your physical size and weight (and possibly gender) and what "fits" you
-Kayak Weight Capacity
-The kinds of fishing you want to do and water you will be covering.
-PRICE!!! (and this actually might be the first Criteria!!)
Set YOUR CRITERIA....and make a decision that is best for YOU!!!

I have been working P/Time at Black Creek Outfitters for over 6 years and they sell many popular and reliable brands including the Hobie products which are outstanding...and I have a Hobie Revolution 11 that I might be interested in selling, but only to the right person!! I would suggest heading there to "test drive" any of their products on the 22 acre spring fed lake just 12 steps out the back door!!
Let's go fishing!!
JohnYaksJax

GatorFish

Re: New to Kayak Fishing - What to buy?

Post by GatorFish » Wed May 29, 2019 6:11 pm

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:11 pm
MY favorite recommendation is to set YOUR CRITERIA, narrow it down to 2-3 of the ones that fit your criteria, test paddle them if at all possible, and buy the best one for YOU!!

Consider the criteria of:
-Storage and security of the kayak
-Transporting it to your fishing spots and road trips
-Storage in the kayak for gear such as rod holders, stake out poles, anchoring systems, storage of coolers and bait buckets and tackle boxes and cast nets and stuff
-Weight of the kayak and what you can carry and lift
-Your physical size and weight (and possibly gender) and what "fits" you
-Kayak Weight Capacity
-The kinds of fishing you want to do and water you will be covering.
-PRICE!!! (and this actually might be the first Criteria!!)
Set YOUR CRITERIA....and make a decision that is best for YOU!!!

I have been working P/Time at Black Creek Outfitters for over 6 years and they sell many popular and reliable brands including the Hobie products which are outstanding...and I have a Hobie Revolution 11 that I might be interested in selling, but only to the right person!! I would suggest heading there to "test drive" any of their products on the 22 acre spring fed lake just 12 steps out the back door!!
Let's go fishing!!
JohnYaksJax
Thank you John! I've heard of Black Creek and I may stop by there this weekend when I'm in town. I'm interested in that Hobie Revo if you are selling it though!