My dam problem

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

LBOIV001

My dam problem

Post by LBOIV001 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Does anyone know if there is a schedule for when the Guana dam releases fresh water into the salt? Every time it does it ruins the fishing and crabbing.

I don't want to waste a trip getting geared up to go out there for nothing..... how can I find out when the dam sluices are opened?

LBOIV001

Re: My dam problem

Post by LBOIV001 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:33 pm

No help on this?

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Hey LBOIV001.....I am not certain what you are asking....but I will try!!
The headwaters for Guana Lake comes from the NORTH up as far as JTB and Ponte Vedra.
The northern end of Guana Lake is therefore more freshwater than the south end of the Lake at the dam...so it gets more salty as it (slowly) flows south to the Dam.

The dam can open the "wickets"...you called them sluices which is also a good name for them.
The Guana River is SOUTH of the dam and is tidal, so the lake water can flow South into the River, or North into the Lake depending on the tides and the wind.
The Guana River slows SOUTH from the dam down to the ICW.

I answered some similar, but slightly different, questions on another thread which I will try to SEARCH for and post on here now.
Good Luck....JohnYaksJax

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 pm

This was a similar question to the one that you asked, so hope it helps....good advice from several people who fish down there!! It was from my post about March 9th!!
JYJ

topic42910.html?hilit=Guana Lake

LBOIV001

Post by LBOIV001 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Maybe it IS a tidal issue, but I remember going there and the water was crystal clear for many yards out into the river and there was not a single crab or fish in sight. When the water is murky, they are everywher...I was wondering if the release of the dam had anything to do with that clear water status...the clear water means a wasted trip.

keastman

Post by keastman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:15 pm

If I recal, when water is being released into the lake the fishing is usually turned on

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:20 am

The dam only controls the amount of saltwater coming into the lake -- not freshwater. About the only thing that controls freshwater is the amount of rain.

I don't know about down by the dam, but the crabs are in crazy amounts and big up at Six Mile Landing. I went out yesterday and all I caught (on a rather fast retrieved paddletail) was several crabs and a 3' alligator (the reptile -- not the gar). And I saw crabs EVERYWHERE in the water, too. I know you can't crab very well in the bottomless muck in the northern half of the lake, but the water is clear up there and the crabs seem to be thriving.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123