Quick GA Trip

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

Kudzu

Quick GA Trip

Post by Kudzu » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 pm

I don't get out to fish much but I took advantage of a trip to Charlotte for a conference. Once the conference wrapped up I headed west to Helen, GA where I'd booked a half-day guided trip with Unicoi Outfitters. I had a great guide and a great time.

Redeye Bass

Some Awesome Trout
This guy was a great runner and jumper.

My personal best at 21".

Can't wait to schedule another trip north.

I also had to replace my Sage reel while I was there. Seems to have some sort of internal wackiness going on so it's going back. My new primary reel is the Orvis Hydros SL.

Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

TexasDave

Re: Quick GA Trip

Post by TexasDave » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:38 am

Those are some beautiful fish. Well done and thanks for sharing.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:15 am

Unicoi is a great fly shop and guide service.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:50 pm

TexasDave wrote:Those are some beautiful fish. Well done and thanks for sharing.
My pleasure.
islandspeed2001 wrote:Unicoi is a great fly shop and guide service.
Absolutely.
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

keastman

Post by keastman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Wow, I need to do some fresh water fishing up north. Great fish, did you need any help with that Bass, looks like it likely was a quite a skirmish to get him in.

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Nice fish! Private water? I endorse the Hydros SL but like and use equally my Hardy Ultralite 4000 DD. I can't choose between them :)

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:34 pm

keastman wrote:Wow, I need to do some fresh water fishing up north. Great fish, did you need any help with that Bass, looks like it likely was a quite a skirmish to get him in.
He was a little fighter for sure. Never caught one before but I'd be happy to do so again. :cool:
jptrout wrote:Nice fish! Private water? I endorse the Hydros SL but like and use equally my Hardy Ultralite 4000 DD. I can't choose between them :)
Yes, private. It seems like 90% if not more of the water up there is. :( Heck, even when I was headed to the forest for the public water I had to pass by a lot of no trespassing signs and my guide warned me not to stop until I'm sure I've passed the USFS sign. Really sucks. Last time I was up there I fished the extremely small public section of the Soque River. It's really unnerving not really knowing where you're at and if some angry landowner is going to come after you.
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 am

That's crazy you have to pay to fish. Do landowners also own bottom of the stream?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am

shallowrunner123, private water is becoming more the norm in many places. And, there are states where the land owner owns the stream bed. One may float some of those areas but may not set foot on solid ground of any sort without trespassing.
The good thing is that the streams are being preserved. Fish are stocked and fed and grow to prodigious proportions and offer and angler a shot at a truly "trophy" size fish. The Soque in GA, Spruce Creek in PA are just 2 well known such places with many more out West.
The bad part is that there increasingly limited public access and it will cost you a minimum of $200 to access this fishing. The "best" fishing is becoming more and more the domain of the well healed angler. Check the cost to any Canadian Salmon or Brook trout camp!

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Let me just clarify from the beginning that I have nothing against the idea of people fishing in places where trout are fed with corn and grow to some amazing sizes but that's a choice.I was contacted once by a fly shop in Georgia where for extra fee I was offered to catch local 30 inch trout and take a picture with it which I respectfully declined. I just feel we are walking a fine line between fishing and not sure what to call it . Many great guys spend years pursuing trophy trout but they mean wild trout. I yes I get it that few waters are left etc. But you can still travel to Montana , Wyoming and catch pretty wild fish. Please Kudzu don't take it personally I mean this conversation to be more about conservation and well....fly fishing. ... My friend told me once that 5000 bucks will get you and ocean run tarpon. I'm still fish less :-)

In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm

shallowrunner123, Oh, I fully understand! I am ambivalent myself about these "fish farms". I haven't the time or money yet to fish the big West. But that is why I frequent rivers and streams like the Letort, Big Spring Creek, the Davidson River...because I, too, prefer the wild fish over the planted. If they can be also large, like on the East Branch, so much the better. And I like other public but awesome fisheries like the East & West Branches of the Delaware, Little Juniata, Spring Creek, Colorado's Frying Pan and South Platte and on and on. Something for everyone, to each his own.

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Jp easy way to cut your cost: delta Amex has sign on bonus 60k till 7th. That should get u free flight to Bozman and some left ;-/

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm

shallowrunner123, please translate "delta Amex has sign on bonus 60k" for this old fat guy!

shallowrunner123

Quick GA Trip

Post by shallowrunner123 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Pm send jp

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:12 am

Been busy with work so I'm just checking back. No offense taken.

To be honest I don't think I was really at a "fish farm" per se. There are both native and stocked fish all over GA and NC (and I'm sure all over period). As it was described to me, a lot of the people that own the sections treat the fish as pets and have feeders out for them so they get really bent if you harass their babies. I do agree that it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to be spending the money to stock streams and building an ecosystem just for the sake of putting fish in the water if we can't all enjoy them. From a conservation perspective I presume there are many that are inclined to take as much as they can rather than catch and release.

As for paying, I think you should pay for a guide, not the right to fish. I fished the section I did because I could actually go unguided. I chose a guide, though, because I'd never fished it before and absolutely suck at trout fishing. :D Now I'd feel confident going back on my own. Unfortunately, that's the only section they offer where it's an option. Every other area requires a guide and I presume it's based on the land ownership and access to the water.

I really don't care what I'm catching as long as I'm catching. Big, small, native, stocked.
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5