Post by Captron » Mon May 27, 2019 7:21 am

Just in case anybody is wondering...
Attachments
20190526_10374c.jpg
20190526_10374c.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

AUFish

Re: SML

Post by AUFish » Tue May 28, 2019 8:11 am

I saw that on Saturday morning...this is my first year to live in Jax area. Does anyone have an idea when they will bring the water levels back up?

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 pm

The powers that be usually raise the water back up from the spring draw-down when someone finally remembers that Guana Lake is supposed to be a LAKE...y'know, like with water in it. :roll: Unfortunately, it can sometimes take a while for them to come to that realization.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

RLend

Post by RLend » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm

I am convinced that the lake is managed to benefit the hunters and not the fisherman.
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Gotta agree with Chris and Ron...above!!
The management of the SML end of the Lake is terrible!! The upper end is managed by the Guana Management and the Lower end is managed by the FL Dept. of Natural Resources and the FFWCC and all three seem to have vested interests!! :angryfire:

The "repairs" to the dam further added to the "cluster" by management even tho it was done by a contracted construction group!!

Also, Ron hit on another topic....except the duck hunting on the upper has actually been "controlled" by FFWCC and DPN who have lowered the number of hunters allowed daily!!
So, the whole thing is screwed up!!
JYJ
PS: Guess that is why I prefer to fish BELOW the dam in Guana River...which is actually tidal and gets refreshed twice daily and flows down to the ICW. Just learn the tides below the dam or be prepared to be "stuck in the much"....

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:09 am

RLend wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm
I am convinced that the lake is managed to benefit the hunters and not the fisherman.
I'm not sure what it benefits when they do something like this. If they really want the grass to recover, then maybe this creek should've never been dammed to create a lake in the first place? The fact is the dam is there, and they just spent a lot of taxpayer $ to repair/upgrade it. For better or worse, it's now (and has been for quite a while) a lake. Manage it like a lake, please. This isn't good for waterfowl, fish, alligators, etc.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:15 am

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:49 pm
Gotta agree with Chris and Ron...above!!
The management of the SML end of the Lake is terrible!! The upper end is managed by the Guana Management and the Lower end is managed by the FL Dept. of Natural Resources and the FFWCC and all three seem to have vested interests!! :angryfire:

The "repairs" to the dam further added to the "cluster" by management even tho it was done by a contracted construction group!!

Also, Ron hit on another topic....except the duck hunting on the upper has actually been "controlled" by FFWCC and DPN who have lowered the number of hunters allowed daily!!
So, the whole thing is screwed up!!
JYJ
PS: Guess that is why I prefer to fish BELOW the dam in Guana River...which is actually tidal and gets refreshed twice daily and flows down to the ICW. Just learn the tides below the dam or be prepared to be "stuck in the much"....
That's me too lately, John. Although I just fish Palm Valley instead to avoid the whole debacle that Guana Lake has become. I was a big fan of Guana Lake and used to only fish there! I even now own the GuanaLakeFishing.com website for like 7 years now, but I haven't done anything with the domain because it's difficult to bring up a new fishing site when there isn't any water in the frickin' lake it's named after most of the time. :?
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

Smoke2joints

Post by Smoke2joints » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am

This is my favorite time to fish 6 mile u just gotta scoot over the mud and there's redfish everywhere if u can find water deeper than a foot the big trout ar there too

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:25 pm

internetpilot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:09 am
RLend wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm
I'm not sure what it benefits when they do something like this. If they really want the grass to recover, then maybe this creek should've never been dammed to create a lake in the first place? The fact is the dam is there, and they just spent a lot of taxpayer $ to repair/upgrade it. For better or worse, it's now (and has been for quite a while) a lake. Manage it like a lake, please. This isn't good for waterfowl, fish, alligators, etc.
I agreed with internetpilot . This isn't good for waterfowl , fish , and etc . As a hunter , with wildfowl being at the top . Even the hunters have been hurted , plus I loved fishing in that lake for years . Made so many trips from Orange Park as much as possible . Before they started all of this mess . Personally , I think they want the lake used less on the North end . The builders , that are pushing hard to build on that end . More tax dollars into the pockets is more concerned for them , IMO . If that is allowed down the road . The lake will have issues . Yard chem's will make it's way into there , I will bet . Sad it see such a beautiful place I love , come to that . Lol internetpilot , never thought you see the day we've agreed on the lake .

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:48 am

That's true, Dogyak! So, if nothing else, all this "fickery" has caused the two of us to come together. Now they're in trouble! :lol:

We'll be moving from Fairfax, VA back to the Nocatee hacienda in a short 9 months, and I'm really hoping all this nonsense will have settled down by then so I can enjoy the lake full-time again. It would also be nice to start up the GuanaLakeFishing.com website then since I'll be back in the area full-time and can provide more content. I'd really like to work with the Tolomato folks with putting several cameras (one at SML and two at the dam) with a little weather station at the dam, all that can be accessed/viewed online. It would be great for folks to be able to check out the current conditions before driving all the way there, but again, there's not much point to going to all that trouble/expense/sponsorship(s)/etc. if the lake is going to be mostly mud through the ideal fishing "season".
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5