Flounder Gigging - how to build your own light

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Nakamoto2

Flounder Gigging - how to build your own light

Post by Nakamoto2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Hello everyone, I am now in NC and really haven't had much time for fishing do to graduate school and work. I have gone out gigging a few times with no luck, a lot of small flounder but nothing close to being in slot. I wanted to share some things with you all from one of my courses that I am in right now. In one of my classes I was required to develop some information to share with others using what they call web 2.0 tools, so I chose the topic of flounder gigging. I had built my own lights and when I moved I got out of the builds but some people had asked me how to build one on their own. The below links are three things I put together to share for the class. The first one I created from scratch but the other two are really collections from information and videos I found online. I hope it is useful and feel free to share the links or make comments. Part of my class is tracking how the information is shared and to get other peoples input and comments so please share the links as you see fit. I hope you find it useful and good luck!

Thanks
Ron

1. Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Build Your Own Gigging Light (PDF can be downloaded)
http://www.slideshare.net/ronnakamoto1/ ... nder-light
2. How to go gigging (Items needed, where to go and when to go)
http://www.slideshare.net/ronnakamoto1/flounder-gigging
3. How to prepare your flounder for dinner (cleaning and fileting the flounder)
http://www.slideshare.net/ronnakamoto1/ ... r-now-what
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

yaktom

Re: Flounder Gigging - how to build your own light

Post by yaktom » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Thank you very much!

hoss6823

Post by hoss6823 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 am

Good to see you posting again Thanks for the links.
Dont worry there will still be plenty of fish when you get done with grad school. :D
Hoss

Sea Ghost 130
Caster 12.5

ChippyDiesel

Post by ChippyDiesel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:59 am

Great write up and thanks for the links. I tried to build a light one time but bought a bulb from home depot that I couldn't get to work on a 12v battery. I ended up returning everything but would love to give it another shot. Went gigging for my first time the other night with no success using a flashlight. lol

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:59 am

Ya the flashlight is hard, especially if there is any wind that disrupts the water. I went out the other night with my buddy and he forgot to charge his batteries. Since it was his first time out I gave him mine and used a strong LED flashlight and even though it was better (1200 lumens) it did not do the same as an underwater light.
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:03 am

Slideshow 2 says it was suspended because it violated terms of service.

Any chance you could re-post it?

Thanks

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:05 am

Not sure why slideshare took it down but I reposted it. Hopefully it stays. http://www.slideshare.net/mobile/ronnak ... g-50662189
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

TexasDave

Post by TexasDave » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Hey, I just wanted to give a shoutout to Nakamoto for this flounder light build. I basically combined this design with another from a different site to build mine. I've been out twice now with this light and picked up 5 flounder so far. Very cool and thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Previously, i just went the HD spotlight with a 12v bulb route and did not have the water penetration needed to see them with our murky water. The green LED cuts right through the particles easy greasy.

G8trwood

Post by G8trwood » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Just started gluing one up today :cheers: 2coolfishing.com has a 79 page gigging/light thread also containing similar links. Originally tried two 20watt heads, but too heavy for wading, so I cut it apart to downsize! Still scrubing the purple primer off my hands...
Jackson Big Tuna, Slow speed high drag...
Solo Skiff, old man yaking at its best :)

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks TexasDave. Man I am in down here in NC now and it's a totally different ball game. I haven't waded yet that I was able to get a keeper. Most folks here boat gig and man they are everywhere, every night. They have commercial giggers here and hey also allow gill netting which I think is doing some damage.
Ron
"Semper Paratus"