Please pray for Chad

Keep it clean!

Moderators: HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

olcaptain

Please pray for Chad

Post by olcaptain » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:46 am

Chad has hit a very low spot in the road. Many of you have been praying and it means so much to our family. Lauren (Our Daughter and Chad's sister ) posted this last night:

Please say a prayer...

Do you ever have days you want to quit? What about when those days turn into weeks and those turn into months and then years? Have you ever been so over it that you say irrational things and cry when normally you can keep it together? They say cancer wears on a person. And what's worse is what the treatment can, for some people, do to your body and eventually your mind. Sickness is all encompassing...it's mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual. When one of these is off, it effects the other three. When all four are off, your whole life is out of balance. Disaster is knocking at your door...every single day.

All of this said, my brother needs your continued prayers. For his physical healing, yes, but tonight we are asking prayers for his emotional state. He's beyond discouraged. He continues to be sick from the ulcers...throwing up, nauseated, tired, and to be honest, just never feels good. He's been back to work on light duty, but has to leave more than he stays.

If you know him like we know him, you know he's one of the strongest and hardest working men God has ever created. He's not a perfect man, and doesn't claim to be, but that's not the point of this post. The point is, he is over it. He's down, discouraged, low, and it's heart wrenching. When he's like this, he has a tendency to push people away. He wants space and he wants quiet. So while we can't gather to pray in his living room, we can gather in ours. And in our churches. And in our cars, at work, wherever you are and you think of him, please pray for God to move on his heart and in his life. We are praying for miraculous things over him.

He needs us to believe, because right now, he doesn't and he can't.

Thank you, and may God bless you for loving my brother and our family like you do.

olcaptain

Re: Please pray for Chad

Post by olcaptain » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Written by our daughter Lauren this afternoon:

***Update on Chad***

Chad was admitted to the hospital yesterday due to terrible pain and continued nausea and sickness. The GI team and oncology team were called in to come up with a plan.

Step 1 was to scope his stomach and get a better idea of what was going on. It showed that the bottom portion of his stomach was "dead" with no blood flow. This is also the portion that is covered with the ulcers and causing him so much pain.

Step 2 was to develop a plan. For the surgeon at Wellstar Douglas to get with Chad's previous surgeon to figure out the best course of action.

Step 3 will be surgery. It is tomorrow (Thursday) at 2:30 at Wellstar Douglas. It will be performed by Dr. Tony Griffith. The idea is to go in and remove the dead portion of Chad's stomach (about 50% of it) and then reattach it. As with every surgery there are risks, so please pray specifically that the pancreas will not be affected and that there will be no leaks. The surgery will take about 3 hours and he'll be at the hospital until at least Monday or Tuesday.

Steps 4 and beyond...we are not sure. There are no guarantees. For Chad it seems there is always something going on. There is constantly something he has to work through, deal with, and recover from. So many times during times of struggle we ask why? Why God? Well...the Bible tells us why!

In Romans 3:3-5 it says "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

See...hope isn't free. Not living hope. This is NOT hope like "I hope he's gonna be ok", this is living hope like "No matter what...God is still God. We believe He has a plan. We trust Him and praise Him in the wins and in the losses." According to Romans suffering ultimately produces hope. Living hope. We will choose to take God at His word and claim it as truth. We can hope because we have hope and because He IS hope.

I don't have to tell you how much I love my brother. How special he is to our family. How badly we want him to get well, eat food, beat cancer, and live the rest of his life seeking and serving the Lord. That is our prayer. That every day count and that you all see a little bit of Jesus in us along the way.

Thank you for your continued prayers. We so appreciate you being a part of his story!
Ol Captain
"Be Ye Fishers of men. You catch 'em and He will clean 'em"

RLend

Post by RLend » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Sincere prayers and best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery. He is blessed to have such a loving family supporting him. We will keep you all in our prayers.
Last edited by RLend on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 pm

***UPDATE ON CHAD***

He is out of surgery and Dr. Griffin was positive and full of good news. He said Chad had a perforated ulcer pushing into his pancreas, and he had no doubt this is where the pain was coming from. He had to remove 2/3 of his stomach because of all of the damage and lack of blood supply.

He also inserted a stomach tube (not sure of technical term) that will allow him to come off of TPN feedings. This will eventually allow him to begin chemo sooner than expected.

Bottom line. He should feel better and find some relief IMMEDIATELY upon waking up. He will possibly begin liquids tomorrow and then go from there. It's a "wait and see" type of plan. One which Chad is very accustomed to.

Please pray that he will not get pancreatitis. Doc is hopeful he won't, but let's join together and pray! Please also continue to pray for his healing...body, soul, mind, and spirit.

Our cups runneth over. Our God is faithful...and tonight we are praising Him for answered prayer and for GOOD NEWS!!!!
Ol Captain

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:43 pm

Chad has been on the move and looking great. He's walked around the block a few times a lot straighter and a lot faster than they anticipated him moving. We even got a surprise visit from his boss. They have just started him on his first feeding through his new tube, which will last for the next 24 hours. Things are progressing well and his body is responding as they hoped.

Ol Captain

f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Lifting the whole family up to God

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:05 am

Good Morning!

Many of you are keeping up with Chad’s Journey on Facebook while others are not. My intention is to simply keep you updated so that you will know what his status is in order to know how to pray for him. If you feel overwhelmed or saturated with our updates and would like to be removed from my list I completely understand. Just let me know and I will drop you like a red hot scalpel.

These two tidbits were shared yesterday along with the photo of Meredith, Chad and me……

“Progress seems slow at times but God is so faithful! Chad is getting better each day! Please continue your prayers! We love you all and thank you for your concern!!!!”

And then last night’s news…………………….

“Great Report from the Hospital tonight!!!
Chad's Consonants are waking up.............and so are his Bowels!!!!”

As always, we thank you all for your love and prayers. Hopefully, Chad will come home soon!
Ol Captain

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Horace....Thanks for keeping us informed and know that there have been some updates since this...and I hope Chad's new procedures have worked in his favor!!!
Personally, I am still praying for his full and rapid recovery and appreciate the updates...Thx...John

weimed

Post by weimed » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Please continue posting. This is a true testament that most other problems (not health related) are not that serious.

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:06 pm

After being in the hospital this time for over three weeks my wife Ramona writes……

Look who has no NG tube and is waiting on his first tray of clear liquids to take by MOUTH!!!!!! We are praising God for His Mighty Hand of Healing, Love, Grace, Mercy and Faithfulness!!! Thank you all for standing by us, praying for and with us and your true friendship!! You played a gigantic part in this part of our victory!! We love you and appreciate all you have done for us!!

Ol Captain

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 pm

I knew Chad was feeling better when he walked out of the hospital yesterday with a nurse on each arm: ;)

Thanks to all of you for your prayers. Please continue as the journey against Cancer continues.......

Ol Captain

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm

I was asked earlier today for a "State of the Unions" address so I will copy and paste it here:

Chad is doing better. At 228 lbs he is down a bit from his normal 290-295. He has half a liver, 1/3 of a stomach and a portion less of his intestines since we started this journey 2 yrs ago. He remarried his ex wife this past Sunday afternoon.

Their daughter started college at Ga Southern this year. Their son is married and has a 10 month old daughter which makes Chad a 40 year old grandfather and me an almost 64 year old great granddad.

He still has a small cancer spot on his liver and they are going to begin chemo again on Sept 2 through his port. He will have a treatment every other week for a while and then reevaluated.

Today is my 43rd Wedding Anniversary:

8/25/73

8/25/16

That's where we are. And you??
Ol Captain

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:22 am

10/10/16

Update on Chad written by our daughter Lauren and of course, posted with Chad's permission:

Sometimes no news is good news, and sometimes no news is simply when a person finds herself struggling to find the words to share.

Many of you have asked how Chad is doing. Your love and prayers have never ceased while still (and understandably) your heart and mind wonder how his recovery is going. When there will be an update. What's next for this man who has fought so hard.

An ongoing joke in my house is how when someone asks "how are you" and we then robotically reply "fine, how are you?" Chris jokes and says one day he hopes someone will just be honest and say...terrible. And you? However...we really do this out of respect for the other person. We know they don't reeeeeaaaally want to hear the ins and outs of our horrible day. Week. Month. Life. We usually just tell them what they want to hear. We also do this because we don't want to disappoint the ones who are asking. We feel like we always have to have a good report, it's just easier for the other person to digest. We don't want to say anything that may dampen someone's faith, or worse, their hope.

To be honest, physically, my brother isn't fine. He's sick. They aren't sure at this point what exactly is going on. **Side note: His stomach is feeling good and he is able to eat though!!!** They say it could possibly be his current chemo regimen that is contributing to him not feeling well. While his doctors are currently working together to find the best care for him, they are all confident of one thing...he will be on chemo indefinitely. It's contained in his liver as far as we know, but unless there is a miracle, his cancer is here to stay.

But God...right? I would be remiss if I stopped with the above post, so I won't! As much as I (along with so many others) prayed for Chad's physical healing, for me (and our family) it went deeper than that. So much deeper. We wanted a miracle of miracles. Here is what I told God...and probably even several of you...I just want Bubu to get it. To see in himself what I see. To see past himself. To see and become the man God wants him to be. To find a church home. To desire the things of God. I want him to love and be loved. I want someone who will give until she has nothing left, and for him to want to do the same for her. I want him to care...about things that matter. About other people. About making a difference. Yes...we prayed for a spiritual, emotional, and mental miracle to take place in Chad's life, and you know what? It did. God delivered. And big. I watched it unfold. Step by step...day by week by month. Through set backs. Through wanting to quit. Through being done...God performed this miracle. He healed his heart, his marriage, and his family. He showed him who HE was and who he could be. And what's more? He's not done.

I wrote a post several years ago about cancer picking the wrong guy on this one...well it's the truth. We got some very realistic news that we didn't want. He's experiencing some sickness that he didn't expect. Cancer has taken him on a ride he never signed up for. But God. He does not change. Nor does our view of Him or love for Him change. His wife...she won't quit. His kids...they won't quit. His parents...they won't quit. His sister and her family...we won't quit. We are asking you, our FB family to do the same. Don't quit. Keep praying. Keep asking. Keep loving. Keep encouraging. Keep on keeping on. You are difference makers. Know that to be true. This ride has been like a roller coaster...but one thing remains...God has not and will not leave or forsake. There is grace upon grace and we are believing God for a miracle...well...another miracle. We will keep you posted in the coming weeks on his progress. As always, thank you for standing in the gap.
Ol Captain

RLend

Post by RLend » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Continuing to send prayers your way for healing and blessings. Stay strong and stay faithful!
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback

tomppalaine

Post by tomppalaine » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:32 am

Iäm sending prayers to Chad, I hope he makes a full recovery. turvalliset renkaat