Chad-March 29

Keep it clean!

Moderators: HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

olcaptain

Chad-March 29

Post by olcaptain » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:53 am

Chad-March 29

Most of you know but for those of you who aren’t on Facebook, Chad has a huge ulcer in his stomach that was caused by an error in his liver radiation treatment a while back. He hasn’t eaten in 6 weeks and as of last Thursday he had lost 51 lbs.

He was admitted to Wellstar Douglas on Thursday and hooked up to "Parenteral nutrition, also known as intravenous feeding, is a method of getting nutrition into the body through the veins. While it is most commonly referred to as total parenteral nutrition(TPN), some patients need to get only certain types of nutrients intravenously."

He was dismissed yesterday (Monday) and will receive Home Health Care that will bring him his bags of fluid that he will be hooking up to his port 12-14 hours a day. He will be on this program for 2-3 months to allow his stomach time to rest and hopefully heal. He will not be allowed to eat at all for a month and after that he may begin with some soft food depending on his progress.

As we sat in the hospital this week and reflected over this past year and a half, Chad did something that he rarely if ever, does. He put pen to paper and wrote the following note:

“To be honest, I do not even know where to begin. The words "thank you" seem so small in comparison to the big things that have taken place over the past few days. Don't get me wrong, I hate cancer, I hate radiation, I hate the ulcers and the sickness they have caused, but I am and have been amazed to watch God's people at work.
I am thankful that the doctor's have put me on a plan and that my body will get the rest and nutrients it needs. I will be setting up my own feeds, and they will last 14 hours a day. I follow up in a month to check my progress.
I am also thankful for my family, and for the many friends who came to visit. I cannot begin to tell you what an encouragement it has been. You took time out of your busy schedules to either come, message, text, pray, give, or a combination of these things. I am very humbled by your kindness and find myself struggling to find the appropriate words, if such words exist.
I am not going to lie, some days are long, lonely, and depressing. Sickness has a way of getting to you and killing your spirit, but God. He never leaves or forsakes. He never fails. And He has used each of you in ways you will never know. Thank you again.
I will keep you posted of progress and would appreciate your continued prayers. May God bless you for being such a blessing to me, and to my family.”
……
We believe that God is Sovereign. We read in the Scriptures that “His ways are not our ways” but still we often question Him and want to know why things are happening to us. He has His reasons and has His purpose and we simply have to trust Him in the good times as well as the bad. I am no stranger to a “pen” and I could write a book about my personal lessons learned on this journey. But the human side of me hasn’t slept a full night in over a year or spent a waking moment without my precious son coming to my mind.

We have been blessed. Chad’s workplace and his insurance have both been phenomenal. Many of you have helped in many ways especially through your prayers. God has been glorified and many lessons have been learned. We will not quit nor will we ever give up and we ask the same of you. We love you all and when we say that, we mean it!
Ol Captain
"Be Ye Fishers of men. You catch 'em and He will clean 'em"

gumby

Re: Chad-March 29

Post by gumby » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 am

Wow. Chad is in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope he heals up soon.
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

RLend

Re: Chad-March 29

Post by RLend » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 am

Chad's faith and strength continue to be an inspiration. What an example for us all.....so impressive. Continued prayers for further progress and healing coming his way.
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback