Quick GA Trip

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

shallowrunner123

Re: Quick GA Trip

Post by shallowrunner123 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:42 am

There is an ongoing debate regarding stocked trout in general . Especially steelhead I. NW part of the country. Studies seem to suggest that their brains are smaller and quality of fish is inferior due to part of their life spent in the tanks. From my experience I say wild steel fights like a train.stoked ones ( clipped adipose fin) just kind of roll in place. Colors on wild trout are different for sure. Anyway it sounds like you had fun and I agree a good trout guide it's worth the money. Maybe we should set up trip with jp and compare notes on trout fishing :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:18 pm

That sounds like plan! :cool:
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:12 am

With the number of fishermen these days, many of our favorite trout streams simply would not be without the support of hatcheries. Many states are in the fore front of of trout biology and the quality does seem to have improved greatly. I have visited the Raven Fork in Cherokee which is stocked with trout from the Reservation hatchery and they do a remarkable job. Once when I was there, I saw a fish rising and just making a tiny dimple in the surface film. I can't resist rising fish so I put on a #18 tan elk hair caddis and dropped it in front of the rise. Fly disappeared, I set the hook and this monster of a rainbow was 3 feet straight up! That fish was instantly all over the pool, into my backing twice and jumped 7 times. There was nothing wrong with that hatchery fish's genetics!

So I am not totally against pay to fish areas which manage the population on a daily basis. Since I am so poor, it bothers me that I will never get to fish some of the more legendary, now private, places out West either on foot or floating with a guide but at least they will be preserved!

Steelhead seem to be a special case regarding wild vs hatchery raised with a couple comprehensive articles recently.

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:28 pm

I have seen videos of that Cherokee stream . Seems like is well managed. Is it worth taking a trip there?
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:40 pm

It probably is. For one thing, the fish are there for certain but it is not easy since the bug life is not over whelming on the stream. The fish know what some bugs are but a lot of it is egg flies, squiggly wiggly's, San Juan worms etc. The better stretches can also be crowded at certain times. The C&R stretch is 2.2 miles so it can be explored in a day or 2 and the fish seem to be pretty well distributed. You need a Tribal Pass @$10/day or $17 for 2-day, $27 for 3-day, $47 for 5-day. Also needed is a Catch-and-Release Special Use Permit for Trophy Waters — $25 for a 1-3 day permit, or $75 per year. So, for a shot at a big fish or 2, the cost is reasonable and there is a nice camp ground right at the head of the C&R stretch! (Cash only campground)

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Stumbled across an interesting John Gierach quote regarding pay to fish...

...if there were small, quiet, uncrowded steams around here with hook-jawed torpedoes in them instead of the usual 8 to 12 inchers, those are the ones I'd be fishing. But there aren't, unless you count the odd private club or pay-to-fish joint. Those can be okay now and then, but they're still not the same as the free public water that you sniff out on your own. I mean, buying good fishing isn't exactly like paying for sex, as some claim, but it's not entirely unlike it, either."

He did not expand on his views of the latter. ;)

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:45 am

Haha good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk