Fly Fishing Rookie

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

mcrewsz71

Fly Fishing Rookie

Post by mcrewsz71 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:14 am

I was given money to buy my first fly combo for Christmas and I'm going to go pick it up from Black Fly this weekend.

Any advice or pointers y'all can offer someone who has never fly fished a day in his life?
-Matt

keastman

Re: Fly Fishing Rookie

Post by keastman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:28 pm

If you don't already have a good profanity vocabulary, pick up a reference book. If that fails, book a time block with Rich Santos on this site and he'll give you a great jump start on casting and a bunch of other tips.

WoodyHuband

Post by WoodyHuband » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:15 pm

It's one of those things that is not intuitive even though you think it would be. Take a lesson. It will save you hours of frustration and the subsequent loss of dollars after you list your "hardly ever used" fly outfit on Craigslist :)

Black Clouser

Post by Black Clouser » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 pm

WoodyHuband wrote:It's one of those things that is not intuitive even though you think it would be. Take a lesson. It will save you hours of frustration and the subsequent loss of dollars after you list your "hardly ever used" fly outfit on Craigslist :)
Well put Woody :thumbright: .
BC

Bud

Post by Bud » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Woody and Keastman are exactly right.. It analogous to learning a golf swing, you can really groove a bad casting technique pretty quick. Lots of good instructions on line. The guys at Black Fly and Rick Santos are good choices
Curt
Ocean Kayak Prowler
2016 Maverick Mirage HPX

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Being a fly fisherman for almost 30 years, I feel comfortable in saying that tossing perfect loops are over-rated. It's all in the presentation :thumbleft:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 am

keastman wrote:If you don't already have a good profanity vocabulary, pick up a reference book. If that fails, book a time block with Rich Santos on this site and he'll give you a great jump start on casting and a bunch of other tips.
I definitely see this as a two-pronged approach.

Rich is a Master Certified Casting Instructor.
I am a Master Certified Cursing Instructor.

I highly recommend taking lessons from each of us. I honed my skills in the Navy and maintain Continuing Education credits.

Not sure how much money you have to work with but the TFO rods are nice for <$300 rods. I have the BVK and Mangrove. I'm hard on fly rods and their customer service is great and very fast. Sage has some nice reels that won't break the bank and the new Redington Behemoth looks really nice and gets good reviews. Here's a quote from Field & Stream:
Despite the entry-level price, the Behemoth is not an entry-level fly reel. It's a beast. It's a tank. It kicks serious butt, whether you're a seasoned butt-kicker of false albacore, or looking to whupp your first steelhead. And if you still have reservations, consider the Behemoth comes with a lifetime warranty.
Might as well prepare to start making trips to the ATM. It's like crack only worse. I can't believe the amount of gear I've accumulated over a short period of time. :shock:

The guys at BFO will guide you young padawan. Just avoid James. He'll use the Force and suck the money right out of your wallet. The next thing you know you've sold a kidney but you have a really nice fishing setup. :cool:
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

mcrewsz71

Post by mcrewsz71 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I've been looking at the Redington Path 9wt. Any input on that model?
-Matt

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:50 pm

No personal experience but I have the Pursuit and it's not a bad rod. I took it out the last time I went fishing. No real complaints.
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

Bud

Post by Bud » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:52 pm

So that's a long conversation. Everyone will have a different opinion. Around here I use an 8 and a 6 wt. 8 if it's windy, 6 if I'm doing a lot of blind casting. One solution would be to go to BFO and try as many as you can. good luck. It's a blast.
Curt
Ocean Kayak Prowler
2016 Maverick Mirage HPX

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer

mcrewsz71

Post by mcrewsz71 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm

I'll buy it and see what happens, I'm sure it will turn out like Kudzu says and I'll invest a lot of money just like my other rods and reels!
-Matt

austin

Post by austin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Picked up the Path 8wt last year. Use it in the surf and in the grass here. Also took it up north this fall for the trout and salmon runs. Casts everything from large saltwater patterns to wollybuggers fantastic. Can't complain about Redington either. I broke one of the fly line guides and they fixed me up within 2 weeks only paid shipping costs.

Here is my setup:

Redington Path 8wt rod. Path 7/8/9 fly reel
One spool with WF8F saltwater line
2nd spool with 250 grain sinking line

mcrewsz71

Post by mcrewsz71 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:13 am

Went and picked up the Redington Path 9wt combo. Can't wait to get some practice in!
-Matt

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:08 am

It is a common misconception that you need to spend tons of money to fly fish. You don't need 500 bucks reel or 700 rod. YouTube if full of videos covering every possible cast . One fly ( woolly bugger) will catch every fish with slight modifications. Just take care of your equipment salt water will destroy it fast if you don't clean it after each use.
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

Black Clouser

Post by Black Clouser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:12 pm

shallowrunner123 wrote:It is a common misconception that you need to spend tons of money to fly fish. You don't need 500 bucks reel or 700 rod. YouTube if full of videos covering every possible cast . One fly ( woolly bugger) will catch every fish with slight modifications. Just take care of your equipment salt water will destroy it fast if you don't clean it after each use.
When I moved down here 25 plus years ago all I had was my trout stuff from up north....I actually caught my first red with a cone head Wooly Bugger :thumbright: .
BC