Is it all over after the hook up?

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

keastman

Is it all over after the hook up?

Post by keastman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Thought I'd throw this out there for discussion. This mostly pertains to sight cast fishing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the whole experience but for me the attraction of it all is in the process of stalking them, getting close enough for a good shot, and then being able to place a fly that you have tied well enough and present it so that the fish is tricked into eating it. To me, the solid hook up is the peak of the experience. I enjoy the fight and landing the fish, but it's more about the hook up for me and the fight is just the icing on the cake. I'm disappointed if the fish comes unbuttoned in the fight but it's still the hook up that does it for me.

shallowrunner123

Re: Is it all over after the hook up?

Post by shallowrunner123 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:45 pm

For me its the whole process of trying to figure out what is working that particular day. Is it the top water, subsurface, how fast do you need to twitch it to elicit strike etc. Catching fish is just a confirmation that you got it this time. Makes me smile when I see somebody getting upset because they didnt catch anything that day. If its the meat you want you be better of soaking a chunk of mullet on the bottom- thats a sure way to go. So yes I definitely enjoy a good fight but being there and brainstorming is what makes me go back all the time.
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

Black Clouser

Post by Black Clouser » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Got to agree with Kevin on this one :thumbright: . What makes flood tide grass fishing so special for me is the hunt and finding these fish in their elements. I just love scouting them out whether it be searching for a tail tip or staring at moving blades of grass. That's probably why I'm just as happy with a push pole in my hands guiding someone as with a fly rod in hand chasing them myself.
BC

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Your fishing experience is like your experience with women. Good to hook them but you don't care if they get away :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:30 am

For me it's the thrill of getting close enough to delicately present the stick of dynamite while not being too close to feel the effects. :D
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

BenPaddlin

Post by BenPaddlin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:19 am

I'm with Black Clouser, I enjoy poling around scouting for them whether I'm poling or casting. The only frustrating part about poling is when someone misses their cast you're thinking you could have made it!!! :banghead:
OK Trident 13
OK Drifter 12
Northeast Outfitters Canoe 14

TexasDave

Post by TexasDave » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:43 am

keastman wrote:...I enjoy the whole experience but for me the attraction of it all is in the process of stalking them, getting close enough for a good shot, and then being able to place a fly that you have tied well enough and present it so that the fish is tricked into eating it. To me, the solid hook up is the peak of the experience. I enjoy the fight and landing the fish, but it's more about the hook up for me and the fight is just the icing on the cake. I'm disappointed if the fish comes unbuttoned in the fight but it's still the hook up that does it for me.
Absolutely. For me, its the strike. If they come unbuttoned, well thats life. Enticing a fish into eating my hand tied fly is the reward. Its also why I prefer Topwater with my regular fishing. I just love the strike!

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 pm

I agree. Searching them out, putting one of your own bugs out there and having them eat it is what the game is. With the 8 wt rods I've been using, once they are hooked, it's really over. Will be switching to a 6 wt soon if it ever comes in. Since I am a die hard dry fly fisher in freshwater, the grass fishing has become even more exciting and appealing with the advent of topwater flies this year!