another hard earned fish

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

keastman

another hard earned fish

Post by keastman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:01 am

Finally a day that I had time to get out and the tides were not so high that you couldn't find fish. I fished twice last week and had all but given up on this flood due to the winds, too high tides and lack of tailing fish. I was going to bag it today but decided to give it one last try on this flood period. I got there a bit late, less than an hour before high but at least the water wasn't as high as it had been last week. I spooked a large fish on my way in but then saw none after poling quite a distance. I didn't even spook any more fish in my travels. The day was nice and the wind wasn't too bad so I just kept pushing on into areas that normally don't flood. Finally I saw one fish tailing but moving. I got a few shots at it but eventually spooked it. It didn't go too far and popped back up. After a couple of failed attempts I finally tricked him and got some good tugging. The fish was only 25" but I thought it was going to be over slot the way it was fighting. I guess the cooler water is giving them a bit more spunk.
That was it for the day but at least I didn't get blanked this flood.

I also ran into JP cruising and had a nice conversation with him on the way back to the launch.

Last edited by keastman on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Clouser

Re: another hard earned fish

Post by Black Clouser » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:34 am

Hey Kevin, That's what makes flood grass fishing so special....you have to work and earn your fish, everything has to go right and when it does it's a true accomplishment......Well done and a nice size grass red :thumbright: .
BC

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 am

Excellent fish!
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 am

Kevin, congrats on the redfish :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

jptrout

Post by jptrout » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:48 pm

I hesitated, before, mentioning my visit on the water with Kevin since I was uncertain if he wanted it to be known that he associates with riffraff such as myself; that sort being those what fish from canoes instead of stylish kayaks! :)

arunram

Post by arunram » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Nice one Kevin!!
Fishing isn’t a matter of life and death. It’s much more important!