Lonely October Flood Grass

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

Black Clouser

Lonely October Flood Grass

Post by Black Clouser » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Hit the flood grass close to home today and actually had some nice conditions. The wind was manageable, no rain and although it did flood too high for my liking, it was nothing like my last few outings. Had the place all to myself and only saw one flats boat way down from where I was. Poled a bunch of flats I haven't been to in a while and saw one hard tailer and quite a few that went down real fast....Got several small reds all on the Dupre Spoon and missed a few slurpers with the slurpee gurgler. What a way to spend a Lonely October Sunday afternoon :D .
BC

Kudzu

Re: Lonely October Flood Grass

Post by Kudzu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:17 pm

Nice. I saw 6 but only put a fly on 2. Literally on one. It bounced off his head. The other shook the hook. Ran into Rich out there also.

Definitely had too much water for my liking also. Empty-handed but I had a good day.
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

Black Clouser

Post by Black Clouser » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Kudzu wrote:Nice. I saw 6 but only put a fly on 2. Literally on one. It bounced off his head. The other shook the hook. Ran into Rich out there also.

Definitely had too much water for my liking also. Empty-handed but I had a good day.

TY Cary, It goes without saying but the one thing you don't want to do with a tailing red is hit him in the head. I hear many fly guys say that they are too accurate and hit him in the head like it's a bullseye target....... but it's the worst cast you can make. A perfect cast to me is about a 3 foot radius around the fish (depending on what the fish is doing and where he's heading) and then strip it by him slowly. If the fish is moving my perfect cast is 3 feet in front of him. If he's hard tailing in one spot it's 3 feet past him and slightly to one side or the other. It can be hard to to judge distance out there especially for a novice or if it is very windy. If your unsure make a cast way off to the side of the fish to judge distance then fine tune your cast at your 3 foot radius.
BC

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, I didn't plan on hitting him. :D I know it's going to happen. I use the same rule (3-4'). It just wasn't meant to be. Next time. ;)
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

keastman

Post by keastman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:03 pm

All my casts are planned like that, just not many turn out that way, especially if it is windy. Scott I do enjoy those lonely flats.