Win some, lose some!

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

jptrout

Win some, lose some!

Post by jptrout » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:07 pm

The good news is we had high water both days this weekend south of St. Augustine. Bad news is that on Saturday I only saw 1 tail and my !st cast was behind it. Good news...next cast in front and it ate it. Then wrapped me around a bunch of weeds and the hook pulled. Then the water got TOO high...again!
Sunday good water, no fish. Then I find an area where it was wall to wall tails! And they would not eat the Flood Bug! They would look at it, swim around it and if I moved it, they freaked! I could line them, slap down the line and fly, get real close...didn't bother them. But pop that bug even a twitch and you think it was the end of the world the way they would take off! Tried a spoon fly too and no luck. VERY frustrating to have so many right there but fly skittish! Note to self...If there is big surf for a few days, chances are there will be good water over the grass!

Kudzu

Re: Win some, lose some!

Post by Kudzu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:51 pm

I feel your pain. I saw more today than yesterday, though. At least you got to put a fly on 'em. I was hoping to hear some slurpers when the water got too high but it didn't happen.

Unfortunately I'm booked next weekend so I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. Don't let me down! ;)
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS