fly rod report Redington cpx 8wt

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators:Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

keastman
fly rod report Redington cpx 8wt

Post by keastman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:13 pm

I recently had a mishap with my 9wt Redington CPS fly rod It broke at the ferrule because it had loosened up while casting and I didn't notice that it had. I sent it back to Redington. I assumed they may replace rather than repair it since I don't think the CPS is in production anymore. I also asked for an 8 wt if it were replaced. A week or so later a brand spanking new 8wt 9' CPX arrived at my house with a note that said happy fishing.

I've played with it out in the road in dead calm air and it casts great there. Last night I got a chance to try it out in some not so nice conditions. I did some wade fishing under the lights in the ICW. The wind was pretty nasty when I got there but I decided to wade out and give it a go anyhow to see how the rod would handle the wind. The wind was probably in the 15mph + range as some white caps were forming on a few waves. I was casting about 45 degrees to the right of the wind direction. It was pretty dark so a little hard to see the line and loops well. The line was the same I had on my 9 wt which is a WF sink tip so the rod was over weighted line wise. I was pretty surprised with the results. I think the CPX actually busted into the wind better than the old CPS which handled wind well. The rod has some flex at the tip and stiffens up a lot as you travel towards the butt. I only had one fish that challenged the rod at all but the fish got off. I think it was a big blue. I caught a bunch of trout and blues but most were under 15" so not a real good assessment of the fighting capacity of the rod. I was impressed with the ability to cast into wind, though I didn't try casting directly into the wind. Now I need to get a big red on the other end and see how the rod works with a good bend in it. So far I'm a happy caster.

islandspeed2001

Re: fly rod report Redington cpx 8wt

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Glad to hear your repair turned into an exchange :cheers: I recently got my 6 wt out and thought I would give it a try on all the trout that are in the creeks. Actually got excited about using it. Just before leaving the house, I thought I would go ahead and run the line through the guides so it would be ready when I hit the water. To my disappointment I discovered that the reel must have gotten bent as it would not turn. Just sent it off to Orvis for repairs today.

Keep us posted on your success with the new rod :thumbleft:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Wiel

Re: fly rod report Redington cpx 8wt

Post by Wiel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:29 am

Hello. I had a similar situation. The tip broke when I was fishing for trout. I'm looking for a new fishing rod and found a list of the best fishing rods read more here about the Redington Classic trout rod review. What would you advise me to do? What is the best fishing rod in your opinion? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgyGcBfbvM