Jacksonville Redfishing with kayak

Kayak fly fishing discussion, fly tying, and fly tackle.

Moderators: Rich.FlyFishJaX, dherna

JDLedcke

Jacksonville Redfishing with kayak

Post by JDLedcke » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:37 pm

I am coming to Jacksonville to work for a month or two starting next week and love Red fishing. Wanted to get some suggestions for where to go to red fish with my kayak using a fly rod and or spinner rod? Any Fly suggestions on where to go would be greatly appreciated!

JohnYaksJax

Re: Jacksonville Redfishing with kayak

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Hello JDLedcke and Welcome to JKF!!
Your post said:
"I am coming to Jacksonville to work for a month or two starting next week and love Red fishing. Wanted to get some suggestions for where to go to red fish with my kayak using a fly rod and or spinner rod? Any Fly suggestions on where to go would be greatly appreciated!"

I have a few questions for you before I try to give you some good answers:
Where are you coming here from?
Where will you be staying while in Jax?? Less driving means more fishing!!
What size flyrod and reel to you have?
Do you mostly fish fresh or saltwater? We have some pretty high tides depending on the moon, weather, and wind so they will determine where many of us fish.

A good contact for flyfishing is Andrew Mizell, who is the General Manager at Black Fly Outfitters on Beach Blvd not too far from the beach. He is a great young man who knows what is biting what currently.
Do you fish lures only or also live and dead bait?
That's enuff to start with...LOL!!

First, look up at the top of any page and you should see the FISHING SPOTS forum link and also the FORUM link and you should spend some time in there. Obviously, you can check out the Fishing Reports daily to get an idea where people are catching fish.

I just left a message for Andrew, who is also a Captain, so hopefully I can hook you two up....take care and hope to hear from you.
JohnYaksJax also known as John Stewart

JohnYaksJax

Re: Jacksonville Redfishing with kayak

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:56 am

Forgot to add that there is a separate FORUM dedicated to flyfishing, and then I noticed that is where you posted your first post!! LOL!!
Nice to meet someone who knows how and where to post comments and questions!!

I wondered if you saw a specific thread for Fishing for Redfish...with a flyrod obviously!!
Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax