Kayak Seats and Life Jackets

Kayak fishing equipment and rigging discussion.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

RLHnTX

Kayak Seats and Life Jackets

Post by RLHnTX » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:56 am

I'm hoping y'all can help with this situation. I have two kayaks, both Wilderness System Ride 135, a 2008 and a 2009 model. I didn't find the seats particularly comfortable, so I replaced them with the "Feelfree Kingfisher" high back seat. I find the Kingfisher to very comfortable, but I'm running into a problem with high back of the seat interfering with the flotation material in the back of the life jacket. Without the life jacket, there is no problem. But with the life jacket, it's as though you're riding in a car with a towel folded up behind your shoulder blades.

I've looked for life jackets that don't contain padding in the back, but I've only been able to locate the inflatable type of life jackets that can get a little expensive if they get wet.

Has anyone found either a good seat that doesn't interfere with the back of the life jacket or a non-inflating life jacket with no padding in the back?

Any help is appreciated.

captmallyboog

Re: Kayak Seats and Life Jackets

Post by captmallyboog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 am

I use a self inflating life jacket.
It doesn't have padding in the back and gives me more mobility than a regular jacket.
Malibu X Factor
Malibu Mini X

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Check out Academy Sports. I bought two auto inflates from them without back padding. CO2 refills are not that bad if I remember correctly. Less than $20 if I remember right. I'd also look into auto inflate belts. Might be the right thing for you.
DMC

RLHnTX

Post by RLHnTX » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Thank you for the reply. I've looked at the auto inflaters, but was hoping to avoid them. I'm just surprised that no one makes a pfd with out flotation material in the back. You want the flotation material on your chest so you float face up. Case in point, the inflatables have their flotation material in the front once triggered. Thank you again for your help.

RamblinWreck

Post by RamblinWreck » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:36 pm

I like a PFD with lots of pockets. If I ever capsize and cannot get back to my kayak (for whatever reason) I want to have my cell phone, car keys, etc with me. That is why I chose an Extrasport Osprey. It isn't perfect as far as the back goes but may work for you. I have a Pro Angler 12 and ALWAYS wear my PFD. It works OK with the seat but isn't perfect. The back has 2 pieces of foam. The top is thicker and is about 9" high. The bottom piece is about 7" high and is thinner.
Pro Angler 12

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Interesting timing, since I just got a call from Black Creek Outfitters here in JAX where I work P/T, and my brand new Astral Ronny arrived today...I wanted a color that we normally do not stock, so I got one directly from them....

The Astral people listened to people like you...AND ME....who complained about the 1/2 thick back on most PFDs and when you sat with it on, it rode up behind your neck!! UGH!! Also, as mentioned above, I want most of my flotation in front so that I float face up....and NOT face down!! :scratch:

The Astral "Ronny" is designed for mostly men, and the lady's model is called the "Linda" and it is "anatomically designed" for ladies...with depressions in the front to fit ladies better....and the colors of the Linda are liked by women too!!

If you like more pockets and attachment points, check out the "Astral Ronny Fisher" which is made with fishermen who like plenty of storage where they can reach it. The Fisher model also has a nice greenish/yellow nylon hoodie built into the vest.
Check out the pockets and features in the video link on the Fisher models at the link below.

All three models are shown on this link:
https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/paddlesports

I have been selling these 3 models for a couple of years now, and they are my favorites, and I have sold MANY of them...with no complaints!! Check 'em out....
JohnYaksJax

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:39 pm

I went to BCO about an hour ago to pick up the Astral Ronny PFD that I had "special ordered"....size, color, model, etc, etc.

Good news is that BCO has a FULL rack of Astral PFDs in various colors, sizes, models, and men/women models.....nice to see that, and I really like the Ronny that I picked up today!!
JYJ

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Looked at the AstraldDesigns site. Congrats to them for calling them Life Jackets, NOT pfd's. :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

papanfisher

Post by papanfisher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 pm

One off them Ronny Fishers will be mine as soon as I get some use out of the one that I got for my birthday last month. They sure look good!!

Native Ultimate 12