Solo Skiff Rigging

Kayak fishing equipment and rigging discussion.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

islandspeed2001

Solo Skiff Rigging

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:09 pm

One of the things about the new Solo Skiff is that it can be fished several ways. It can be poled, paddled or motored. This allows you more options in the way you fish. After doing much research on the rigging I have come to the conclusion there is no right way to rig one of these. Each time you take it out you will want it rigged differently.

The answer to flexible rigging seems to be the Yak Attack gear tracs. This will allow you to to change out your rigging options without drilling a bunch of holes or wishing you had mounted something in a different place.

Keep the plain clean lines of the bow can only enhance your fishing experience. This would be especially true fo fly fishermen!
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

67197mlk

Re: Solo Skiff Rigging

Post by 67197mlk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:20 pm

Ideas. Im diggin it. See guys, solo skiff is the wave of the future.
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 pm

I put a marine mat (seadek) seat pad on mine

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Like the pad idea for the seat. I may add a pad myself when I'm not using the Jackson Elite seat. I can see using only the pad when you make a quick run to a flat where you will pole your craft around.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Well said Jerry. I had Kayak Dr. Clark add a track to the front of the boat right before the cooler to mount whatever I make my mind up to live there. It's in addition to the two he mounted on the sides similar to yours. The versatility of the tracks makes the options more than plentiful. I just keep it clutter free. In the kayak, I'm pretty much dialed in and have a place for everything within reasonable reach, but with the Solo I am up a lot more and have began to accessorize my fishing vest a lot more. I carry my fish grips in one pocket and my pliers in another. Rather than tethering them to the boat, I keep them on me. Rod storage is pretty much self explanatory for two of them in the gunnel holders, but I can carry two more easily with the Scotty rod holders in the tracks. I just bought a Fly rod holder today at Strike Zone because I'm determined to start Fly fishing again in addition to spinner casting.
DMC
P.S. Matthew, welcome to the club!

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:43 pm

Guess I will announce that Keastman is also a proud owner! Sorry Kevin but it took you 3 years to do this.

Do I forsee a Solo Skiff Rally coming up soon?
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:56 pm

i emailed a guy on cl about a motor. ill get boat registered next week. hopefully i can get a solid water test soon. thanks doug. im digging this solo club going. glad you guys are out there to bounce ideas off of. doug, post a few pictures if you got them. i like the seadek idea. its such a clean and basic little craft!!
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:16 am

Hahaha! I texted Keastman about the sale. Hey man if you're reading this I totally approve you blaming the purchase on me. I'm just glad we got two new members! Matthew, I'll post some pictures of mine soon but chances are you'll see it in person first. Let me know how your schedule goes this week and what's up with the motor.
I second the rally idea,
DMC

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:57 am

I chuckled when I saw his name on the one outside the store yesterday. :-)

DMC, thumbs up on the return to fly!
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

EIGHTWGT

Post by EIGHTWGT » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:47 am

Did Someone say Jax Solo Skiff Rally ? I know someone who has a Solo I can borrow lol :lol:
SOLOSKIFF.COM

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 am

EIGHTWGT wrote:Did Someone say Jax Solo Skiff Rally ? I know someone who has a Solo I can borrow lol :lol:
You are responsible for bringing the cold beer :D
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

EIGHTWGT

Post by EIGHTWGT » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:53 am

islandspeed2001 wrote:
EIGHTWGT wrote:Did Someone say Jax Solo Skiff Rally ? I know someone who has a Solo I can borrow lol :lol:
You are responsible for bringing the cold beer :D
:salute:
SOLOSKIFF.COM

keastman

Post by keastman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I still don't even know where I'm going to put the darn thing but I was starting to feel left out and got pushed over the edge by Doug's text yesterday. Yes, we'll have to form a snobby little Solo Fleet. Maybe have Solo rallies with drag racing, slalom courses, and free style runs!

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I finished wiring the new lights for my trailer a little while ago. I was about to put the motor back on but remembered that I have to replace a light on one of my work trailers too. It was no match for the brick planter in my front yard that snuck up on it while backing it into the shop.
Once I get that squared away I'll probably fab up the retention cord for the motor. Kayak Doctor Clark installed a stainless steel eyelet on the transom for me and I just bought a couple of feet of plastic coated steel wire to secure the motor to the transom. Next HH, somebody remind me to tell the story about my dad and I fishing out of a Gheenoe in Clapboard and loosing the motor. No text can do it justice.
DMC

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:24 pm

DougyMillCove wrote:Once I get that squared away I'll probably fab up the retention cord for the motor. Kayak Doctor Clark installed a stainless steel eyelet on the transom for me and I just bought a couple of feet of plastic coated steel wire to secure the motor to the transom. Next HH, somebody remind me to tell the story about my dad and I fishing out of a Gheenoe in Clapboard and loosing the motor. No text can do it justice.
DMC
Thank god for this post. Years of embarrassment just evaporated realizing I'm not the only one who's sank an outboard. What's the old saying, misery loves company?