Solo Skiff Rigging

Kayak fishing equipment and rigging discussion.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

islandspeed2001

Re: Solo Skiff Rigging

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:02 am

NCF12 wrote:
islandspeed2001 wrote:...Lets PM possible dates as we don't want to completely bore everyone else...
I'm afraid it's already too late for that concern.
I have already deleted one of your comments. Stay off this thread if you don't want to read it. You have been warned before about your comments.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

keastman

Post by keastman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Update on the stake out pole holder. I got a chance to try it out last night. Jerry, it wasn't really a problem putting the pole in or out. I think I may need to make the restrainer a bit wider since it's a pretty tight fit for the pole and it binds a bit when muddy. Also it rotated a bit from pressure of the current, but held fast. I fished a flat I"ve never been to because it's too long of a paddle for a quick trip. I got in near low tide but was very cautious because I didn't know if it would get so low I couldn't get off and low was at sun set. It was amazing, the wind was blowing about 10-15 and the boat poled real well against the wind or broad side to it. I also crossed some areas that were only 3-4" deep and didn't even stir up the mud. I'm pretty sure this thing will float in spit. I finally bailed out of the flat as I could see I'd soon be stranded if I stayed any longer. Fun trip.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Good to hear Kevin :thumbleft: Went out myself back in the grass. Didn't pole but did use the stand up paddle. Worked great. Several reds swam right by the skiff :roll:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Sheepherder

Post by Sheepherder » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:08 pm

K-man , Sounds like you had a good trip, now K-man you know very well that there are those out there that do not like posts about you Soloist fellars.... Now you know who that there rightly might ah be, and HELL bells it surely ain't me, no Siree not me, HELL I can't wait to see one of you fellars out putting around and about in your Skiffs, geeez not me :D BUT! I reiterate BUT! There are those folks out yonder in places. So I just thought I'd send you a friendly reminder, cause lord knows that I would never, ever like to :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: stuff up. No Siree, nope not the sheepherder, I love all and speacially my Solo Skiffing buddies.

I certainly hope that IS2K1 understands that I'm just being nice :D and trying to keep up the Holiday cheer, for all and to include such nimrods as ***12.
Love ya All here!
JR :smoke:

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:19 pm

I was all set on getting a Power Pole Micro, but was scared of the aft mount/ pivot on the stern.

Recently, with a north wind, fishing docks south of San Marco , the waves were "flooding" the solo. I was sitting on the seat/box and every "big wave" would flood the sole/cockpit. I was drifting, and letting the north wind push me down a line of docks I like. Stern to the tide/wind

After that, I'd either recommend mounting the Power Pole up on the deck, or going Wang Anchor. The mid ship mount lets it pivot, and bow into the waves.

By the way, I've got 110% confidence in my Solo skiff to get me through the nasty-ness. I've "jumped" the solo over head high waves (sport fish wakes, by the Fuller Warren, on a strong tide - PWC style). The solo definitely has my vote for big sea ability. Not recommended for anyone. Just don't exceed your skill level. #bigcojones

keastman

Post by keastman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Sheepherder, others being put off by postings about the Solo here doesn't even enter my thought process when I post. It only comes to mind when I see a negative response, but only in an amusing almost pitying sort of way to think someone could be so petty. I'm one of the originals on this board, nothing surprises or bothers me, I'll usually just have fun with negative comments or egg them on if I'm in the mood.

Pontiac, I can see how that mount position will let you "hang out with your wang out" and prove better for some wind/current situations. Does that location interfere with paddling at all for you? I'm wondering if a small sea anchor off the bow would have allowed you to drift bow to the waves or would the tide not allow that? After taking some big wake waves with mine under power, I can see how some hand holds mounted to the seat area could help you stay in the boat when it gets hairy. I got to experience the "squirrely handling at higher speeds and chop that is talked about yesterday, that was interesting but easily controlled by backing off the throttle. Lastly, how does that glass boat still look new?

IS, I also had on large red right next to the boat yesterday and never spooked it. Of course I never caught it either! The flat was a bit frustrating, couldn't see 3" in the water and lots of reds but none too interested in my offerings for the brief time I was there exploring.
Last edited by keastman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:57 pm

keastman wrote: Does that location interfere with paddling at all for you? I'm wondering if a small sea anchor off the bow would have allowed you to drift bow to the waves or would the tide not allow that? After taking some big wake waves with mine under power, I can see how some hand holds mounted to the seat area could help you stay in the boat when it gets hairy.
Not while paddling, the stake out pole doesn't stay in the "up" position. I've got deck clips to keep it on the gunnels. Admittedly, its a PIA to stake out while holding a rod that's hooked up.

A mushroom anchor would do the trick, for me at least, I'd have to go belly down to reach/pull it up. Con.

Hand mounts: Yeah, I see some "Jeep Grab Handles" in my future.

keastman

Post by keastman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Oh, I didn't think you stored the wang in the up position in the mount, just wondering if that mouint sticking out away from the boat gets in the way while you are paddling around?

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:37 pm

As regards the micro the jury is still out. I do find that the rear of the boat sits lower in the water and will also list to one side. I was initially concerned about the power unit being submerged when loading or launching the skiff. The unit would go into the water about half way. The tech at Power Pro assured me that the unit was waterproof and I had nothing to worry about.

I have to agree with you that there can be substantial amount of water that comes into the cockpit if you have ways pushing at you from behind or while unloading or loading the skiff.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 pm

As a newbie solo owner, i am not staking anything out. Was concerned about, the same as you guys mentioned, flooding the solo while staked in reverse. I did add a no drill anchor trolley and a 3.5# anchor. For the most part, it seems to hold well. I have had it fail a few times, but usually works. I used a spare extension cord storage deal for the anchor rope. I will probably switch over to a dive reel. But in agreeance with you other guys. It is quite interesting to see how shallow it really goes. Hard to say because ive been in an inch or so and started to get stuck. I just shifted to the rear of the boat and it floated out... I like the flexibility of being able to stand up whenever i want and stretch my back. Word of wisdom to the solo owners who have not done this, i trim the eninge all the way up, set my vest on engine as cushion, the. Use my square throw flot as a cushion on set, on the corner. Its a full meal deal recliner. And you can still paddle. Totally relaxing!!!
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

Reel Rebel

Post by Reel Rebel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:41 am

Solo Skiff Seat Installation

The seat bolts are SS 5/16 x 2, I think?? The length I don't remember because I got it wrong about 3 times! :evil: The cutting board is mounted with SS #12 x 1.5" which I countersunk. The cutting board is .5" thick purchased at BPS. Seat from Academy $25 (very comfortable) and swivel mount from BPS $20 (very light but durable). I trimmed the cutting board and use the extra to brace from below (last pic).

After 1 trip with seat mounted, I can say it's a great addition for me. It makes the tiller steering much more accessible either RH or LH, although hatch access becomes a bit more clumsy. Obviously, you lose the ability to stand on top of hatch and pole or sight fish, but not a big deal in LA waters. At 6-0 230lbs, I can say this installation feels very solid under me.
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (106.79 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
IMG_0005 (1).jpg
IMG_0005 (1).jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Solo Skiff Rotomold (light gray) w/Suzuki 6hp

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!"

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:02 am

Interesting seat addition. Ive been using a throw cushion bungeed to the hatch. It allows me to move around on it and still use it for emergencies, but offers no back support... My back is spent by the end of a fishing day... Your seat rig is a good idea.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:07 am

Think you have done good with the backing on the center hatch cover. Yes, it is hollow and requires such :thumbleft:

Being able to swivel the seat should be a plus when starting the motor or having to access the motor.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

keastman

Post by keastman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Reel Rebel, I've been thinking I'd do the same mount as you have done. With that BPS swivel, it's is a quick release, so I guess you could remove the seat and store it behind the hatch and still pole from the platform location. I saw almost the exact same set up as yours on another site and liked it with the same seat type and starboard backing and mount on the hatch.

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Now that i look at it, you could always cut out the square where the swivel part is on the starboard piece. This way, when you remove seat to possibly stand and pole on the hatch, it wont have a raised part as a trip hazard, and should still have clearance for the seat to swivel.