For Canoe Folks -- Rigging a Canoe for Fishing (Done Cheap!)

Kayak fishing equipment and rigging discussion.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Jim McC

Re: For Canoe Folks -- Rigging a Canoe for Fishing (Done Che

Post by Jim McC » Tue May 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks again. I also noticed the Scanoe is no longer on Dick's website. One other difference between the Scanoe and the square stern Saranac is the Scanoe has a flat bottom, and the Saranac does not. It has a "shallow arch" bottom. The heavier Saranac doesn't bother me because if I bought it, I would use a trailer.

Which one do you think would be more stable?

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Tue May 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Having only experience with the Coleman Scanoe I can't really say for certain, but I suspect that the heavier boat would be more stable. Not that I've ever had a problem with stability in the Coleman, even without the stabilizers, but I think that has a lot to do with me weighing it down quite a bit with me, a rather heavy trolling motor, and a very heavy marine battery, and thus making it a heavier boat.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Alright, it's been a while since I did any more rigging on my Scanoe, but I'm still stuck on finding a good seat solution.

My problem with the seat is that with my Scanoe there really isn't a way to attach something to the stock bench seat, like a stadium chair, etc. I've also always had problems with the seats being up to high (for stability -- I don't always want to use my stabilizers), and it also has to be a very portable/easily removable solution because I haul the Scanoe upside down on a trailer or on the roof of my Sequoia.

This is about the best solution I've found so far. I've been ignoring these jon boat seat clamp mounts for a while, thinking that there's no way that design is even going to work in a jon boat, so it definitely won't work on my Scanoe's plastic bench seats. WRONG! It works great! The clamp is really easy to install (and remove), and I actually tried to get it to come off and couldn't. Now, the clamps aren't exactly cheap at $29 themselves (they can be found for as cheap as $19), but they're work well and they definitely seem to be the best portable thing going for installing a really nice seat in Scanoe. I did install a swivel between the mount and the seat, but honestly since the seat is so wide and yet sits so low below the gunwale, it doesn't actually swivel very much. Not putting a swivel on would also lower it about an inch which would help even more with stability. That seat is pretty pricey at $120, but I decided to give it a try when I saw it on sale at Academy for $89. The seat is actually incredibly comfortable, and the plastic frame is much lighter but sturdier than the typical metal frame. It's all-around a big improvement on the standard boat seats, and the high back on it's really nice.

I figured that I can buy 3 of the jon boat seat clamp mounts for $20 each (if I shop around), use the fancy schmancy seat for this old man's posterior, and then buy two $20 boat seats for the two boys, and then we would be comfortably set for a longer fishing day for not a terribly outrageous price.

Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

Sonoma

Post by Sonoma » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:21 am

internetpilot wrote:jon boat seat clamp mounts
Neat idea. Thank you for posting the pictures and your ideas.

Nobody Knows

Post by Nobody Knows » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Internetpilot ... you're a genius and I THANK YOU! I'm hoping you're still "active" on this thread so you know of my appreciation! I just picked up the exact same scanoe and hope to do (nearly) everything you've done (if i can hide it from the wife) and the stabilizers are 1st on the list. My goal is to get my two (3 & 4 year old) Daughters on the water while I can (while they still like me ;-}~ ). I see you posted the make / model of the Scotty Rod Holders (for the stabilizers) but can you elaborate a little more as to how you mounted the thwart (if this info is in the thread and I missed it I apologize)? It looks as if you merely used two screws horizontally? Again, thank you for all that you've done here and especially the time you've put into recording this for all of us!

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Nobody Knows wrote:Internetpilot ... you're a genius and I THANK YOU! I'm hoping you're still "active" on this thread so you know of my appreciation! I just picked up the exact same scanoe and hope to do (nearly) everything you've done (if i can hide it from the wife) and the stabilizers are 1st on the list. My goal is to get my two (3 & 4 year old) Daughters on the water while I can (while they still like me ;-}~ ). I see you posted the make / model of the Scotty Rod Holders (for the stabilizers) but can you elaborate a little more as to how you mounted the thwart (if this info is in the thread and I missed it I apologize)? It looks as if you merely used two screws horizontally? Again, thank you for all that you've done here and especially the time you've put into recording this for all of us!
I'm still around! Not as much as I use to be since my move to Fairfax, VA, but I'm keeping the house down in Ponte Vedra, too, and using it as the vacation home for the next 4 or 5 years until we eventually move back. I still have the Scanoe and the kayak at the Ponte Vedra house, so I'm going to try to fish every time I'm down there.

I used two stainless bolts on each side of the thwart, and it's very sturdy. I can actually pick the Scanoe up only by the thwart, and as you probably know by now, for a lump of plastic the Scanoe is rather hefty!

if you have any other specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. Again, I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but I at least try to stop in a couple times a week. Even though my two boys aren't really interested much in fishing out of the Scanoe, I still love it and don't regret buying it and fixing it up. Not only did it give me a couple of years of good times fishing with the boys, but it's also just a great all around fishing vessel even just for me. I can actually stay out longer in it than I can in my kayak, I can stand up and fish, and it's still a manageable size/weight for me. If you're like me, you're going to have as much fun rigging it up as you do fishing out of it.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

captkenroy

Post by captkenroy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 pm

That sucker is almost too pretty to use. I love it.
Capt. Ken

Troyh

Post by Troyh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:54 am

I just bought the same canoe. Going to make the same kind of stablizer, but I have one question? How long did you make the pvc pipe that goes from the floats to the rod holders? And how far away from the canoe are the stablizers?

Thanks Troy

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:09 pm

I had to let the lowest angle that the Scotty rod holders would go dictate the length of PVC pipe and how far out from the canoe they ended up.

How I did it was since there's a backstop pin on the "bottom" of the Scotty rod holders, I simple pulled that out so the PVC pipe would stick out of the bottom of the rod holder. I then sat the canoe on the ground, slid the assembled stabilizers into rod holders letting them rest on the ground like the canoe, and then marked the PVC pipe where it came out of the bottom of the rod holders. I cut the pipe at the mark, reinstalled the backstop pin in the rod holders, and then drilled hole through the pipe and rod holder and installed a round lock pin bolt to keep everything in place. I'm up in Virginia now and the stabilizers are down in Florida, but I would guess the length to be about 3 feet or so.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

Torumekian

Post by Torumekian » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:06 pm

i have a similar coleman canoe i was making kinda like yours. i dont have the square back so i had to make a mount for my trolling motor that hangs off one side, its a little off center but it work just fine. after toting it around a couple times i admit it totally sucks being so heavy and ive resorted to removing everything heavy to make it easier. you mention you made your own portage cart. given you have a similar size canoe, motor battery, etc, like i do, i was curious what your portage cart looked like. most of what i see online is PVC and with the substantial weight of the canoe i was unsure if it would be adequate weight wise. i thought about going the wooden route, but figured it cant hurt to ask since your was likely made to accommodate the weight.

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:57 pm

The motor mount on the Scanoe isn't that great of a feature anyway, because it's really far back and difficult to reach the tiller. I've often thought of just getting a side motor mount and using it.

Hmmm...I can't believe I didn't post a pic of my PVC canoe cart. Maybe it was out of embarrassment because the first time I tried to use it on the fully rigged Scanoe was rather disastrous...haha. I still used the same design, though, and just shortened the risers to make it stronger. I also started carrying the battery separately.

Anyway, here's a couple pics:

This is the original design. The pipe pieces were too long all over, and the whole thing was too tall, which caused a lot of stress on parts of it, and...well...as you can see. Haha.
Original Canoe Cart.jpg
Original Canoe Cart.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
I then shortened all the pipe and it works a lot better now. The axle is an aluminum rod that goes all the way across, so that helps carry the weight of a rigged canoe where just using bolts on each wheel would probably have failed before the pipe did.
Improved Canoe Cart.jpg
Improved Canoe Cart.jpg (53.49 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
I also now carry the battery separately from the rest of the canoe. It's just too heavy. Forget about being too heavy for the cart, it's too heavy for me to lift the canoe while the other end is on the cart! When I've had to portage over any significant distances, I just used a folding luggage dolly or even a collapsible wagon to carry the battery.

Keep in mind that my portaging is pretty much limited to crossing a parking lot, or at the most a grassy park to get to water. Whenever possible, I just try to use a ramp and launch the Scanoe from the utility trailer I haul it on. The utility trailer is setup to haul the canoe upside down, but I made it so that I can also flip the canoe rightside up and completely rig it on the trailer (with the exception of the battery), and then just slide it off the utility trailer at the water's edge on the ramp (which helps me to not hog the ramp so long).

Hope this helps. I know it might not if you're doing any significant portaging down trails to more remote launch points.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

Torumekian

Post by Torumekian » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:36 pm

ok, i had seen some designs for some like that i considered trying make one heavier duty out of conduit, but havent started the project as i havent used it since last summer. i made my side mount motor mount from a pair of 2x4s and i made rod holders from a pair of small c-clamps. a short 2x4 and some 1" pvc fittings. they are durable, but not adjustable as i didnt think it was neccessary at the time, but would admittedly like it now. for the outriggers i ordered the same attwood ones you listed. i got 2 of those, 3 of the danielson crab floats, and the 2 locking pins from walmart for $65 shipped, i made sure the danielson model number matched what was listed in the link you posted farther back. i had also made a pvc fish finder holder, but it wasnt quite as stable as yours, after trolling an hour or so, it would twist a little bit and be aiming behind me. at the time i fixed it by tying some twine to the shaft and to the fron rod holders, but it looked pretty jenky. ill fix that this time around. ill snap some photos when i work on it this weekend.

Nobody Knows

Post by Nobody Knows » Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 pm

internetpilot wrote:
Nobody Knows wrote:Internetpilot ... you're a genius and I THANK YOU! I'm hoping you're still "active" on this thread so you know of my appreciation! I just picked up the exact same scanoe and hope to do (nearly) everything you've done (if i can hide it from the wife) and the stabilizers are 1st on the list. My goal is to get my two (3 & 4 year old) Daughters on the water while I can (while they still like me ;-}~ ). I see you posted the make / model of the Scotty Rod Holders (for the stabilizers) but can you elaborate a little more as to how you mounted the thwart (if this info is in the thread and I missed it I apologize)? It looks as if you merely used two screws horizontally? Again, thank you for all that you've done here and especially the time you've put into recording this for all of us!
I'm still around! Not as much as I use to be since my move to Fairfax, VA, but I'm keeping the house down in Ponte Vedra, too, and using it as the vacation home for the next 4 or 5 years until we eventually move back. I still have the Scanoe and the kayak at the Ponte Vedra house, so I'm going to try to fish every time I'm down there.

I used two stainless bolts on each side of the thwart, and it's very sturdy. I can actually pick the Scanoe up only by the thwart, and as you probably know by now, for a lump of plastic the Scanoe is rather hefty!

if you have any other specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. Again, I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but I at least try to stop in a couple times a week. Even though my two boys aren't really interested much in fishing out of the Scanoe, I still love it and don't regret buying it and fixing it up. Not only did it give me a couple of years of good times fishing with the boys, but it's also just a great all around fishing vessel even just for me. I can actually stay out longer in it than I can in my kayak, I can stand up and fish, and it's still a manageable size/weight for me. If you're like me, you're going to have as much fun rigging it up as you do fishing out of it.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey Internetpilot - nice to see this thread again, and I still marvel at your DIY skills and ingenuity...especially working with PVC...LOL!!!

Good to hear that you still get back to PV occasionally and might be fun to get together down at Guana Lake or River....just give me a little lead time!!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: This is pretty much one weekend that I do not go near PV dues to the TPC Tourney and the traffic down there.... :drunken:

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Sat May 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Hey, JYJ! Yep, I still check in here from time to time. I'm currently trying to get the hang of freshwater fishing up here in Virginia, but the nearest, most convenient lake is rather lacking in fish. I'm planning on hitting the Occuquan Reservoir or even the shallow/narrower areas of the Potomac when better weather and a weekend coincides. Lately it's been 50° and raining most days! And they call this Spring??? Haha.

I ended up getting a Perception Striker 11.5 kayak for fishing up here. It's an el cheapo kayak (which seem to be my specialty...haha), and as usual I've rigged the heck out of it, carrying on the tradition of using PVC for some of it, too. I'll have to post a rigging thread for it here sometime soon.

I am planning on doing some more significant modifications to the Scanoe while down in Florida for the summer. I'm looking to get a 2.5-3.5hp outboard for it and move the trolling motor up front. I'm also looking to remove all the stock bench seats and fabricating my own single seat solution. Y'know, for those days when I'm too lazy to paddle around or when I need to keep up with friends in pedal kayaks. I'll, of course, update the thread. Almost 69,000 views on this thread??? That's just crazy.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5