For Canoe Folks -- Rigging a Canoe for Fishing (Done Cheap!)

Kayak fishing equipment and rigging discussion.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

5loaves2fish

Re: For Canoe Folks -- Rigging a Canoe for Fishing (Done Che

Post by 5loaves2fish » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Chris I am considering adding a trolling motor to my Mad River Canoe to allow my son and I to try new locations. What motor did you go with and did you have and problems in the saltwater with it? I am trying to get all of my paperwork straight to get it registered and I think I am going simply get the freshwater Minn Kota Endura C2 30" but any input from experience you have would also be appreciated.
Mad River Passage 14
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Hobie Outback

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:37 pm

I went with the Watersnake 54-lb thrust motor with the 42" stainless steel shaft. Just quickly off the top of my head:

Pros:
- $100 cheaper than the comparable Minn Kota
- Heavy duty stainless steel shaft rather than composite
- Heavy duty all-metal mount (again rather than composite)
- 3-blade prop

Cons:
- You're going to want to cut down the shaft from 42" to somewhere around 30" -- stainless steel is fairly easy to cut, but is a B#$%@ to drill the new mount holes. I tried, failed, and ended up taking it to a machine shop to drill the holes.
- With everything being made out of metal, it's a little heavy at the launch. That's actually a pro for stabilizing the canoe, but a bear for lugging around.
- The mount has you pushing a button for tilting the motor up and down out of the water -- the Minn Kota design has you pulling a lever, which I think is a better design and easier to do.

After a year of (significant) saltwater abuse, the paint on my motor is starting to bubble and rust a little in a couple of very small areas. I'm going to grind down those areas and repaint it. Other than that, it seems to be doing well. I soak it in a bucket of fresh water after ever trip out while I clean up the rest of my gear, dry it, and lube it up with some WD40. Trolling motors don't usually have an incredible long life anyway, so if it lasts me 2-3 years, I'd be pretty happy with it.

If I was buying a trolling motor right now? I would get the Watersnake Venom SWET54-42 Trolling Motor for $200. No, that's not a typo and yes, it is a 54-lb thrust saltwater motor. The shaft is not stainless steel, so it would be a lot easier to shorten compared to my current Watersnake motor. I imagine the saltwater design would be of benefit. This model of Watersnake wasn't available when I bought my freshwater model or for $20 more I would've gotten it instead.

Whether or not the 30-lb thrust will do for you depends on where you fish, how far you travel, whether or not you're going to be fighting currents, tides, wind (or all three). I know there have been some times on the ICW where the current and wind were working against me and my 54-lb thrust motor was barely making any headway. I've also easily passed some other canoes with smaller trolling motors with both of us running at full throttle. You will get some people telling you there isn't a difference and that a 55-lb thrust isn't going to move the same boat any faster than 30-lb thrust. There may very well be some scientific theory behind that, but I haven't found that applies in the real world. Whether or not you NEED something more than 30-lb thrusts is entirely dependent on what you're going to be doing with it, but I can guarantee you that the 54-55-lb thrust models will move you faster than a 30-lb thrust.

I have to say, though -- your $89 motor is hard price to beat! That's almost disposable prices!
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

Studsted

Post by Studsted » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for this posting! My two boys, 3 and 6, have really gotten into fishing this summer. I also remembered why I don't like bank fishing as its been a while for me. I was looking at Jon boats but not happy with what I saw and the weight. Then I found your post and remembered I had an old Coleman 15 foot canoe. I am now in the process of making outriggers, rob holders, enhancing my seat, and adding one for the boys. My old 15 foot only had 2 seats. I will post some picks as I get it built. Thanks again for the motivation.

Jwray

Post by Jwray » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Internet, where did you buy the water snake trolling motor?

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:21 pm

Studsted wrote:Thanks for this posting! My two boys, 3 and 6, have really gotten into fishing this summer. I also remembered why I don't like bank fishing as its been a while for me. I was looking at Jon boats but not happy with what I saw and the weight. Then I found your post and remembered I had an old Coleman 15 foot canoe. I am now in the process of making outriggers, rob holders, enhancing my seat, and adding one for the boys. My old 15 foot only had 2 seats. I will post some picks as I get it built. Thanks again for the motivation.
No problem -- glad to motivate! This site motivated me to get back into fishing and I ended up doing so with my two younger kids, too, so if this thread motivates anyone to do the same, I consider it my way of giving back to the site. Be sure to come back and post pics of your work!
Jwray wrote:Internet, where did you buy the water snake trolling motor?
I bought it from Walmart.com. It was free shipping to the house, and think it saved me almost $100 over the Minn Kota It's been a nice motor and still doing well.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

keastman

Post by keastman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Here's another thought, keep your eyes open for a used 2 hp outboard 2stroke. You can sometimes find them for about $200. They push you along well, allow a longer range if you bring a small bottle of gas and are a lot lighter than a trolling motor, battery set up. I use one one my kayak sometimes to get to farther spots and will even troll with it. Disadvantage is that it's noisier than an electric trolling motor. I get some strange looks when I pass people with it.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:26 pm

The strange looks are folks looking at that Wave you ride around in :smoke:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

keastman

Post by keastman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 pm

that too, but I get even more looks with the motor on back

Studsted

Post by Studsted » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Hey, I just got my Scotty poll holders in. The 1 inch pipe has about a 1/2 inch of play when in the holder. Not sure if you had this issue or Scotty made their holders bigger. I am looking at putting a bigger size pipe around it to fill the gap.

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Studsted wrote:Hey, I just got my Scotty poll holders in. The 1 inch pipe has about a 1/2 inch of play when in the holder. Not sure if you had this issue or Scotty made their holders bigger. I am looking at putting a bigger size pipe around it to fill the gap.
Mine have some play in them but not .5". I may have used 1.25" PVC. :scratch:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

Studsted

Post by Studsted » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:43 pm

I just picked up some schedule 80 1.25 inch pipe. It fits very nicely and there is very little play. Soon as I get those glued up and put together this weekend I will load some pics.

Studsted

Post by Studsted » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Ok, so I got some time to get it, mostly put together. I pretty much followed your plans only I made mine so that I did not have to drill holes in the canoe. If it works and I like the setup then I can make something more permanent. I had to add a third seat as my canoe didn't have one. It works better anyway as the two boys can sit side by side and lower in the canoe. I put in some poll holders, a basket for gear, a better seat, and motor mount. I ended up using 1 1/4 pipe for the outriggers as it fit better in the Scotty poll holders. I also used a carriage bolt and wing-nut for a more permanent mount. I wrapped the 1 1/4 pipes with about 4 wraps of Gorilla tape as well to make them sit tighter in the poll holder.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5JrAGb ... sp=sharing
Basket and poll holders

Motor mount before painting

I used eye-bolts that I cut with a dermal tool to clamp it down

The outriggers

My seat and finished motor mount

The almost finished product.

Going to get it in the water this weekend and see how it floats. *sorry, for whatever reason, I can not post pictures directly to my post.*

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am

Looking great, man! The cut eyebolts are pure genius for attaching your motor mount. I noticed the L-bracket brace(s?) you added to motor mount to stop it from twisting. Very nice, but still allows you to easily remove the mount and leaves no holes in the boat. Nice, simple middle seat, too. I like that your outriggers have shorter arms, but I bet provide about the same stability.

Looks great! Love that you finalized everything with paint to keep things looking pretty. You now have a fishing machine -- you're gonna love it! The ability to stand up and/or take the kids out with zero worries allows you to focus entirely on fishing. Even though I now have a kayak I still find it nice to take the Scanoe out solo. It's like fishing from a dock that moves around.
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5

jaxbonedoc

Post by jaxbonedoc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:31 pm

I may have missed it but what do you typically use for a ballast (other than children) with so much aft weight? I have an Old Town Sportsman that I usually put a cooler or something up front. It almost seems like using a collapsible water jug and a bilge pump would be helpful, almost like a water sofa on a wakeboard stink pot.

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:49 pm

My kids are pretty big now -- combined they're pretty close to 200lbs. Then I have the battery up behind the front seat.

When I'm by myself in my Scanoe, I put the battery all the way at the bow, and then put a cooler and all my gear right behind the front seat, leaving just me and the motor at the stern, which balances things out fairly well.

You could always go the "perfect rock" route. I actually have two of those, but have never needed to use them for ballast so I've kept them for dry bags.

http://www.redrockstore.com/solopaddling/
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Striker 11.5