H.O.W. Article in Times Union on 8/11/14

Activities related to the Northeast Florida chapter of HeroesOnTheWater.org

Moderator: Tmdfam

Stiff Necky

H.O.W. Article in Times Union on 8/11/14

Post by Stiff Necky » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:25 am

Here is a good story on H.O.W. in this morning's Times Union: http://members.jacksonville.com/news/me ... ak-fishing . An Awesome job volunteers! :salute:

SRAces

Re: H.O.W. Article in Times Union on 8/11/14

Post by SRAces » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 pm

Great article! Congrats to the entire Ganoe family on the awards. Well deserved! :salute:
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

bobo65

Post by bobo65 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:54 pm

well for years all of us on the forum knew all about how you guys went above and beyond for the HOW program. Now are lil secret is out and in my opinion is not only very much deserved but long over due. The one good thing the article didn't tell was about the great cupcakes so at least the forum can keep one secret lol. Congrats to all of you. please keep up the great work

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm

I can remember when HOW start-up was just on the discussion process. You have come a long way!
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

YakGroupie

Post by YakGroupie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks everyone. I wish everyone could have been at the event to see our awesome new trailer wrap and hear the story of how it came to be -- a 2 year process.

HOW is possible through the dedicated volunteers, many on this very site. I like to brag that we have the best HOW guides in the nation. Not only are they superb anglers but they have hearts of gold. In the end, no one will remember who won what tournament but these guys and gals will always hold a special place in the hearts of the veterans and families that they have taken fishing. When it's all said and done, it's the time spent that lets the veterans know that you care.

Amongst those awesome volunteers, is our wonderful Leadership Team:

Craig Van Brocklin - (best dang) Treasurer (ever!). Not only does Craig handle our finances by the book with every penny accounted for, he also coordinates food for every event as well as guides. He wears many hats.

Tim Stouder - Community Outreach Coordinator. Have you read the Coastal Angler Magazine lately? Tim is the guy who writes those monthly articles as well as coordinates our community outreach at boat shows, etc. If you've missed Tim's seminars, either at a HOW night out or one of his many other gigs, well, you've missed out on some great fishing instruction. And he guides.

Jason Zug - Assistant Equipment Coordinator. No sooner do words leave my mouth than Jason is making it happen. If we were picking teams, he'd be a top choice every time! And he guides.

Katie Blunk - Special Projects Coordinator. No job is too big for Katie! You see that awesome trailer -- she coordinated the majority of that project. She's my go-to secret weapon. Love her! And she guides.

Charles Ganoe - Equipment Coordinator - That cute little pink Energizer bunny has nothing on Charlie. He and Jason keep up with our fleet. You think cleaning and prepping your own equipment is a chore, multiply that by 27 and then add grills, tables, chairs, banners, rod/reels, jigs ... Their event day lasts 2 days. Charlie is also one of our high demand guides, vet couples love him.

Tim Johnson - Assistant Event Coordinator - When you need to get 80 kayaks launched in a short amount of time, this is the guy for you. Tim handles getting enough equipment for our events and then getting them staged on event mornings. He also helps Charlie and Jason on prep day - they are a fine oiled machine. I think they actually read each other minds these days. And he guides.

Kevin Lairsey - Safety Coordinator - Kevin gives our safety brief in the morning and he and Jason coordinate the launch. Kevin is responsible for making sure each guest has safety instruction and is wearing their PFD properly. You'll see them in the water at the launch making sure everyone launches safely -- even in January -- BRRR!!

Add to that our awesome sponsors, like Mike Kogan and the Jax Classic. We would not have the equipment or the food to feed everyone if it weren't for the generosity of businesses and individuals in our community who support our veterans.

It takes a village to put on these events and I'm proud to be included.
Melita
MELITA'S CUPCAKE PRO STAFF!