Surf Fishing Info Requested

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Mudfish

Surf Fishing Info Requested

Post by Mudfish » Sat May 04, 2019 11:54 am

Seeking some beach driving info for surf fishing.

I traded in my 2WD truck for a 4WD. I haven't had a 4WD in quite a few years. I'm planning on doing some more surf fishing now, and though I have a nice fishing cart, it would also be nice to park the truck right on the beach sometimes.

Years ago when I had Jeeps we could drive on many of our beaches, but which beaches can you still drive on that would be decent for surf fishing?

We tried Crescent Beach, but it is one-way only, and even though we got there very early, the swimmers and surfers were relentless. They kept pouring onto the beach, parked right on top of us, and went out right into our lines. It got very crowded and impossible to fish. So, scratch that beach off the list.

We tried Huguenot Park, but got there at high tide and the entrance onto the beach was clogged with stuck cars trying to flee the rising water. It was total chaos and I didn't want to get stuck behind that mess, so we just turned around and left. It was a long line of vehicles departing and it took a long time to exit the park. I'll try it again some other time.

While up at Fernandina Beach recently, we checked out a couple of beach access ramps, but parking space on the beach was very limited. Beach driving was limited to a very short stretch.

On the way home from Fernandina we attempted to enter American Beach, but just as I was approaching the beach access ramp, a Jeep came blasting up the ramp with water splashing up from the tires, so I decided to skip that spot.

Also, any concerns about getting stuck or cut off from the entrance on any of the beaches at high tide? Can you (legally) drive up close to the dunes to avoid getting into any salt water? I have a full size GMC Sierra Denali Crew Cab with BFG All Terrains, which seems to be very capable in 4WD, but it's not lifted.

Thanks.
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13 ~ 2012 Native Mariner Propel 12.5

JohnYaksJax

Re: Surf Fishing Info Requested

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat May 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Hey Mudfish....Sounds like you pretty much covered the bases, and at least tried some spots!!
I dunno if Mickler's Landing is open for driving cars/trucks on the beach...might be a possibility??

I do not think that the Guana area is open to vehicles either..kinda doubt it and never saw any access spots to drive onto those beaches....

I will try to listen to the 2 hour radio show..."Gone Fishin'Show" next Friday...Noon to 2 PM and their call in # is 904-831-1023...and they have some call in support during that show.
Sorry my friend....and I dunno yet about the weather tomorrow (Sunday) so will let you know later..OK??
John aka JYJ

Jtgavigan

Post by Jtgavigan » Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 am

Guana and Mickler's dont allow beach driving. Vilano is closed. Here is the latest status in Saint John's county beaches from the twitter handle @sjcbeaches:

4WD recommended at A St., Ocean Trace, Dondanville, Matanzas Avenue, Mary St., Crescent and Porpoise Point ramps. Vilano and Fort Matanzas ramps remain temporarily closed.

Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle » Sun May 05, 2019 1:27 pm

You pretty much described every weekend at every public beach access in north east Florida. I try to chase the pompano this time of year and I do a lot of surf fishing during the mullet run late summer. I use my truck and have a beach cart for places with no vehicle access.

All that said,if you're looking for a drive on beach that you basically have alone that doesn't really exist. I drove in at dondeville last Tuesday shortly before 8am and only saw 3 other vehicles the 3 hours I was there. During the summer and on weekends its going to be packed from open to close.

You can try Nassau sound. You can get in on the north side of the bridge and drive down the inlet and can then drive onto Amelia island. I know a few guys that go there and they say it isn't always packed.

Mudfish

Post by Mudfish » Sun May 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks all. I guess my beach cart is still the best option, and it's pretty easy.

John,
I'll try to listen to the Gone Fishin' Show this Friday. I won't be able to call in, but maybe they'll have some info on this topic.

Fishinguy21

Post by Fishinguy21 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Porpoise point drive in Vilano still has a 4WD beach You pay a few bucks to get on you can’t get to the jetties but you can fish the backside of the inlet out of the back of your truck I was just out there last week lots of pompano being caught but they bite for Like 30 minutes on the rising and falling I caught 2 and a nice 20 inch black drum on shrimp. Hope you get your pompano!

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sun May 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Hey Mudfish....The "Gone Fishin" radio talk show is on FM 102.3 from Noon till 2:00.
Sorry...forgot to post that in my previous post above...DUH!!
JYJ

Mudfish

Post by Mudfish » Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks, Fishinguy21 and John!

Red_drum

Post by Red_drum » Thu May 23, 2019 1:32 am

If you feel comfortable going through a strong current and choppy water, you can launch your kayak at Vilano boat ramp and paddle/pedal to north or south end of St. Augustine inlet. There are no swimmer, guaranteed! lol That is why I like kayak fishing. You can go there on outgoing tide and return back to the ramp on incoming tide.