“P & P” works for me

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

olcaptain

“P & P” works for me

Post by olcaptain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 am

“P & P” works for me

I’ve had a lot on my mind lately and since my mind doesn’t hold all that much I sometimes get a stomach ache. I have found when that happens it helps me to have some “P & P” time. P & P is short for Paddle and Pretend.

This method of therapy is not for everyone, but it is relatively inexpensive. On my way home from town this morning I stopped in Kroger for my supplies. When I left, I had purchased ½ lb of Shrimp, two Lunchables and a couple of rolls of Tums. Before boarding I would also add a bottle of water and a Coke Zero.

Something magical happens when I settle into the seat of my canoe. After two or three pulls on the paddle I find my rhythm and almost instantly, my mind begins to clear.

I always check the wind before venturing out onto the Sea of Sinclair and today I knew that all would be well. I can judge the air temperature by simply watching Maximus Relaximus. If he stays below I know I’ll be adding another layer once we anchor. If the Bow stays in the bow, I know warmer weather is at hand.

Today I wanted to be Hemingway’s Santiago. He too, was an old man who often fished alone. He too, went many days sometimes before catching a fish but most of all, he too, loved the sea. It had been a couple of trips since I had caught a fish at the bridge and I hoped today would be the day.

It takes me 40-45 minutes to paddle out to the bridge and then another 10-15 to anchor and get set up. I anchored, put three lines out baited with the shrimp and then checked the time.

There have been a few times that I’d have a fish on before you could say, “Bob’s me Uncle.” But after a few fruitless minutes I somehow knew today was not one of those days. I normally stay in one spot but today I fished three places before returning to my original “Honey Hole.” By then it was after 4:00 PM.

I had my brace of Garcia’s out, but I was hoping to see my old Penn pull down today. I had recently added some backing to the braid and had put it on an old Ugly Stik and in keeping with Santiago’s patched up sail and clothes, the tip on this rod has long been gone so I had just cut the rod off at the next eye down.

I read a while and pondered a while. I looked at Max and I can’t help but think he too was dreaming. Perhaps he was dreaming of being one of the African lions that ran up and down the beach that Santiago told the boy about. Either way, I knew he was clearing his mechanism as well.

The time began catching up on us and I knew we needed to get back to the dock. About that time, I had a phone call on my Flip Phone from my daughter, Lauren. Phone calls often bring me luck and as we were talking the Old Penn took a bow! Now folks, I didn’t have to tie it along side nor did I have to deal with Sharks but it was a decent Blue Cat and a pretty good return for my $ and the time was well spent.

As I paddled away I hoped that much like the Swallows that nest under the bridge, we would be returning soon.

I’m not sure how you clear your head when life gets busy but from time to time, “P & P” works for me.

Ol Captain
"Be Ye Fishers of men. You catch 'em and He will clean 'em"

SuaSponte

Re: “P & P” works for me

Post by SuaSponte » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Cap thanks for the story. I check in frequently just to check for your new story. :)
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:41 pm

SuaSponte wrote:Cap thanks for the story. I check in frequently just to check for your new story. :)
Kind words. If you are ever near Lake Sinclair............. drop in!
Ol Captain

Clark

Post by Clark » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm

It works for me too. Nothing better to take my mind off of problems, than a calm relaxing day on the water, waiting for a bite.
Attachments
IMG_0103aaa.jpg
IMG_0103aaa.jpg (108.39 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Thanks for taking me fishing Dad

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Clark wrote:It works for me too. Nothing better to take my mind off of problems, than a calm relaxing day on the water, waiting for a bite.
I'd like to put my canoe in some salt one day :)
Ol Captain

Clark

Post by Clark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 am

olcaptain wrote:
Clark wrote:It works for me too. Nothing better to take my mind off of problems, than a calm relaxing day on the water, waiting for a bite.
I'd like to put my canoe in some salt one day :)

Come on down :thumbright:
Thanks for taking me fishing Dad