Gulf Trip On A Windy Saturday

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

SRAces

Gulf Trip On A Windy Saturday

Post by SRAces » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:31 pm

I don't post a fishing report often here but I do fish every weekend in the Gulf as it's closer to where I live and usually do well when I go. Seems like I do a lot better than my Jax trips, but I'm sure that comes with frequency and knowing what works where you fish. I just don't fish the Jax area enough to get proficient...lol!

I met my friend Dave who just bought a new 2017 PA14 and had gotten skunked on his first two trips. I took him with me Saturday morning and told him he would catch fish. He did! Christened the new PA and all is well. I managed to catch 8 trout, 8 reds 1 Spanish (that flipped off the ruler, then my leg, then over the railing and in the water) and way too many ladyfish to count. It was probably my best trip for redfish quality. I did have one huge red break off the line. The leader broke where the braid was tied. All caught and released. Artificial bait only.

Here are the fish that met my picture length requirement and a shot of Dave with a 20 inch plus red hooked up.

Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

JohnYaksJax

Re: Gulf Trip On A Windy Saturday

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon May 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Steve....a nice report and great pix of your most recent Gulf trip!!
Loved the pix and they sure look bigger than on my cell phone...LOL!!
Glad that Dave was able to slime his new PA/14....and good of you to help him get on some fish....WTG!! :salute:
John

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Mon May 01, 2017 4:00 pm

JohnYaksJax wrote:Steve....a nice report and great pix of your most recent Gulf trip!!
Loved the pix and they sure look bigger than on my cell phone...LOL!!
Glad that Dave was able to slime his new PA/14....and good of you to help him get on some fish....WTG!! :salute:
John
Thanks John!

It was windy even on the Gulf starting around 10:00am and it didn't start to die down until about 1:30pm. Dave had to leave at 1:00pm as he had an engagement to attend. We started at first light. I left my house at 4:20am to meet Dave about 20 minutes from the launch...lol! I knew where the reds would be right before high tide, so I decided to stay longer and not leave when Dave did. Caught the last 5 reds within 30 minutes and hardly moved the PA. I finally got off the water at 3:00pm and was home before 5:00pm. :D
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

Mudfish

Post by Mudfish » Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm

Great report. Nice catches.
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13 ~ 2012 Native Mariner Propel 12.5