Last couple weeks, boat n yak mix report.

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

guanagator

Last couple weeks, boat n yak mix report.

Post by guanagator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:33 pm

April 11-24

Fishing lots of artificial out of the boat, red bite is strong on all tides if you follow the water. Mostly lower slots with a few rats and midsize ones. The big one got away last week, sight casted a red out of the high tide grass in chicopit that looked more like a tarpon it was so big. Only weedless set up I had was on a ultralight but I didn't wanna change over and miss the chance, tossed it out and she inhaled the slayer SSB and started pulling drag, after 5mins or so got her close then she saw the boat took off towards wonderwood with a vengeance. Never heard a 1000 sing like that. Meanwhile my buddy has caught 2 trout while I'm fighting this pig, I'd guess it was around 15 minutes in and 300 yards down current when the leader snapped. I had just told my friend to put down his rod and start the motor to chase it. Looked like she had the bait deep and it had been rubbing the whole time. I was so disappointed, had been fishing 3 hrs and that was my only hook up. The ultralight now has 30lb leader like the rest of them.

Took advantage of a break in the wind and splashed the Yak for a short fly rod trip at high tide in the harbor and couldn't find anyone cooperative in the flat I choose that day. Soon... About to break down and bring a spinning rod but still trying to take my first fish on the PA on fly.

Fished the valley a few times this past couple weeks, pre fishing once then for the Wednesday night tourney. Haven't put much time in so it's never been my comfort zone was fun to explore new areas. All artificial mostly working the docks on mid tides and natural structure on West side closer to the bridge and just south at high tide to mid low, some nice sized reds, a couple of flounder and a few smaller trout first couple trips then Saturday night my buddy put the first N Fla snook on my boat! I was able to follow it up with a smaller one on a super spook.

Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

gumby

Re: Last couple weeks, boat n yak mix report.

Post by gumby » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Great work.
How are you fishing those artificial shrimp?
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Twitching and pausing for a few seconds, very similar to a slow jerk bait. Never know what's going to munch on them, sight casted this guy pushing mullet around skinny, thought I had redzilla on the first run. The jack attack in full swing right now if your fishing near the river.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Nice fishing reports and pix, Guanagator!!
Good variety of species and plenty of neat fish pix.....
You love that Super Spook, and for good reason....was that first pic an ambitious mangrove snapper with one in its mouth?? Looks like it was close to or just over the minimum...was it? I have NEVER caught a legal one...always 1/4 or 1/2" short....dang!!

Nice overslot red you buddy caught, and sever others too.
Nice sized snookies both of you got...impressive!!
Alexis got that nice flattie...what brand/color is that artificial shrimp...maybe a VooDoo??
Sure looks real!!
Thx....JohnYaksJax

jmdesignz2

Post by jmdesignz2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Tagging for bait info. WTG!!!

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:58 pm

JohnYaksJax wrote:Nice fishing reports and pix, Guanagator!!
Good variety of species and plenty of neat fish pix.....
You love that Super Spook, and for good reason....was that first pic an ambitious mangrove snapper with one in its mouth?? Looks like it was close to or just over the minimum...was it? I have NEVER caught a legal one...always 1/4 or 1/2" short....dang!!

Nice overslot red you buddy caught, and sever others too.
Nice sized snookies both of you got...impressive!!
Alexis got that nice flattie...what brand/color is that artificial shrimp...maybe a VooDoo??
Sure looks real!!
Thx....JohnYaksJax
It was just over but I let him swim, ambitious little guy that was during the last Wednesday night tournament. Think I got my friend fully hooked on fishing, he had been going quite a bit the last few months and catching lots of shorts. Saturday changed that, first red was his biggest fish yet, went 5/6 on bulls and was asking for a break with sore arms, he hooked the snook later that day to round out a pretty epic trip.

The shrimp that jack hit was a vudu and the flounder was on a different brand that's fully weedless not sure what it was but bought at strikezone.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:40 pm

great report.

Clark

Post by Clark » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:41 pm

The next time you are going fast in your Panga through the small creeks, take a quick look behind you at your wake as it slams into the shoreline. Now imagine if a kayak fisherman was staked out along that shoreline. Just saying.
Thanks for taking me fishing Dad

jbond352

Post by jbond352 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:32 pm

I always like reading your reports. I am planning on trying the artificial game on Friday morning....your post has inspired me!
Bic Ace Tec Wing 12'6"

Starboard 14' All Star AST

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Clark wrote:The next time you are going fast in your Panga through the small creeks, take a quick look behind you at your wake as it slams into the shoreline. Now imagine if a kayak fisherman was staked out along that shoreline. Just saying.
Really sorry if I got you Clark, I try to idle by everybody fishing kayak or boat. I've been on the other side of that equation many times and don't want to toss wake at anyone especially a kayaker.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:37 pm

jbond352 wrote:I always like reading your reports. I am planning on trying the artificial game on Friday morning....your post has inspired me!
Glad to hear that! Good luck!
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

Ainhmidh

Post by Ainhmidh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:35 pm

I didn't know there were snook in florida, I really wanna hook into one day. Juvenile Tarpon is my top target though I really wanna catch one.
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught on a hook, I swore that worm was just for me, reeled in on a rod. Lifted to the skies and see, I'm just a trophy; mounted on a wooden plaque because I got taken home, down the road, stuffed with fluff and full of foam.

MrTopWater

Post by MrTopWater » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am

Great Report Chris!

Nice work on multiple species.
Kevin

Native Mariner 12.5
Diablo Paddlesports Adios

Lindengrad47

Post by Lindengrad47 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:43 am

How do you work the top water luers? I mean I'm sure you walk the dog with em but how long do you wait between twitches?