Oak Harbor and Points North Thursday 4/7/2016

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

TheWarrant

Oak Harbor and Points North Thursday 4/7/2016

Post by TheWarrant » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:24 pm

Every now and then we have a fishing trip that's 'less than optimum'. I had one of those yesterday. I put in at Oak Harbor around 9:30 A.M. Paddled out of the turning basin and started out the westward channel into a strong wind. With the water at or near high tide, I was expecting to make around 4 mph over ground with the Propel. I made around 2.5 mph due to the wind.
I made the turn north on the eastern most channel that's east of the main ICW and pedaled up to the Wonderwood bridge where I had to stop and let my legs stop aching. :O
I tied off to a post by one of the bridge pillar mounts and tossed my lines in - I did a gold spinner for some fun and let another bounce a live shrimp off the bottom. Nothing.
Pedaled up to a favorite creek that goes into the right and went in about an 1/8th of a mile where I tried to set up shop by anchoring at the first big turn. I quickly discovered (I'm relatively new at this folks) that when there's a STRONG west wind coming down that east-west running channel, with an easterly (outbound) current and your anchored at a large turn, between the wind and the current, you're lines and kayak are going to do all sorts of strange things. I ended up rotating around about a 270 degree arc on the anchor line - this caused the lines to get crossed etc. I paddled (lower tide and water) back a little to get out of the wind. I discovered that it appears the channel has been recently dredged because several of the oyster beds are gone, there's MUCH shallower water in some areas and there appears to be a deeper channel on one side of the creek area. An outcrop I used to anchor to is no longer there. I went back down the west/east channel section and thought it just 'felt' and 'looked' different.

Long story short, I caught a crab and nothing else. I mean, I didn't even lose my bait. No nibbles, no bites, no fish - Nothing.

I fished topwater Mirro's, popping cork with live shrimp, and shrimp on a jig head on the bottom. Nothing.

I left the channel area and pedaled farther north and then down another wide area that went to a bridge and some construction areas. The east side of the two-lane bridge had a barrier with "United States Government Property - Do Not Enter" written on it. I'm thinking I was near the A1A bridge north of the Wonderwood bridge that goes to the Ferry. Anyone know???

I fished that area for about an hour and a half - same story - nothing. OH WAIT - I DID get something - about a million flies..... Lord!!! So I pulled my lines in and pedaled back to the Oak Harbor ramp where I found it a LOW tide - as in so low, I couldn't use my Propel drive to get into the small channel before the basin. I paddled around there a little bit checking my depth finder and 'looking' at the bottom contours (Lowrance Elite Chirp 4 unit) and it was SHALLOW there. Honestly, I don't see how anyone with a boat could put in or get out at the -1.3 tide yesterday.

I got the yak out and was packing up with the wind still whipping around and to end my perfect day, a guy in a plumbing truck pulls up and gets a bucket (big bucket) full of human waste material and takes it to the ramp area and dumps it and rinses the bucket out. I just stood there looking at him and when he looked at me I just said "Really? Did you do what I just think you did??" He told me to get over it and walked off. I took pictures of the waste still bobbing around, his truck and license number off the side. I called the city this morning and sent them via email all the information. The ramp stunk like you just cannot imagine. Perfect end to a day that was almost 7-hours on the water.

I'm looking for any suggestions on different places to fish. The last two times I've been out (in the last 2 weeks) it's been WINDY, and I haven't gotten as much as a bite on live shrimp or mud minnows. I read these fishing reports and am getting really discouraged. I know that everyone says 'it'll come' but I've got a tackle box full of artificials and I'm also throwing live bait. I thought I'd just get 'lucky' at least once. In the year and over dozen times I've gone fishing, I've brought home two slot reds. I've caught 2 undersized flounder and a couple of tiny trout. I try and fish the outgoing tides and will always try to stick around through the low-tide / incoming cycle. It makes for a long day. I DO enjoy getting out. I learn something new each time - more than I wanted to yesterday about anchoring and using a stake out pole in strong winds - but I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or not doing right to get a fish on the line. My fiance' ALWAYS has dinner ready when I get home now - she knows I'm most likely not going to be filleting a fish!! Hahahaha
Retired U.S. Navy
Retired Gainesville Regional Utilities
Retired!!!

"If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough!"

Jwray

Re: Oak Harbor and Points North Thursday 4/7/2016

Post by Jwray » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Windy for me , means going to smaller creeks. No open basins. Simpsons creek and many of the smaller creeks off Hecksher are good for this. Also cedar creek off cedar point road is good with this west wind.

gumby

Post by gumby » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Ive had days like this, they are not fun.

Glad you reported the dude for dropping stuff into the water....bad juju right there.
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

jman82

Post by jman82 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Sounds like you got the right tides down for how I like to fish. I normally fish the outgoing thru the incoming and usually get a few keepers or more. I like to keep moving and look for oyster bars and just watch for baitfish getting blown up on or reds pushing in the shallows. Once you find a few oyster bars that hold fish, you can generally count on it for future fishing trips. I try not to spend too much time in a single area unless I'm getting hits or fish. If you keep moving and keep looking for anything fishy the fish will come. I try to make a dozen casts at each spot, switching up baits / lures to cover all my bases. Hope this helps. Good luck.
2015 Slayer Propel 13

TheWarrant

Post by TheWarrant » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks guys - definitely windy and I'm going to start working Sisters, Browns, etc. I'm starting to get a negative attitude with Oak Harbor and Dutton Island area. I haven't fished the west side of the ICW from those two locales. Will try points of Hecksher next. Thanks again!!
Retired U.S. Navy
Retired!!!

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:22 pm

If you are able to, work your way into chicopit. I used to hammer that place in my boat. It is accessable from sherman creek and is loaded with fish. Ive been fishing browns a lot lately and cant say its the best, but there are fish here and there. If you are looking at a map of cedar point, which forms a cover up to hecksure, the left side is far deeper than the right. The right side will be super shallow, but has lots of oysters. Its another place i used to fish in my boat. It is accessable by kayak as well. I used popping cork and doa shrimp there and brought any visitor from out of town there and they had a blast. Im no expert and continually get frustrated out there, but hope this little helps. Best of luck out there. If ive given anyones spots away, find new spots... Theres a million out there.
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

TheWarrant

Post by TheWarrant » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:54 pm

67197mlk - Thanks got that information. I'll put this on the list of places to check out. I appreciate your divulging information to help me get on some fish. I'm not looking for a free lunch or an 'easy' approach to fishing. I just like to go out and have some fun and catch a few fish in the process. Again / Thank You very much.
Retired U.S. Navy
Retired!!!

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:32 am

I've fished east chicopit 3x this week and it's full of bluefish, you may get lucky on a red back there but that school has been hammered and is spread thin. The winds we have been experiencing make fishing tough, boat or yak.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 am

No problem dude. Good update guanagator, because thats the area i was talking about. Around the bigger island with the two towers. Fish east side of that, there is a small cove. Ive done well there in the past. Fishing along the big peninsula where theres a solid north wind was always good for me and made for an awesome wind break. Ive gone out there and seen a few boats stacked up... There are a lot of good people on this site and have tons of good info. I utilize their help ALL the time.
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

gregmozart

Post by gregmozart » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:01 pm

The bridge (with construction nearby) and the floating barrier is Sherman Creek and A1A. I think the fishing has been slow for most people for the past 7 days since the wind and cooler weather started. I fished Wednesday 4/6/16 (Cradle Creek), Friday (Sherman and Boathouse Creeks), Saturday 4/9/16 (Palm Valley Bridge), and Sunday (Dutton Island area creeks). I had 3 undersize trout and 2 reds total after 8 or 9 hours of fishing. Sunday at dawn was the best time.
By the way the Palm Valley Bridge/ Nocatee Kayak Launch was very nice and easy.
Wilderness Systems Sealution 2
Lifetime Hydros 85 Angler kayak
PortaBote 10 with 5 HP Nissan