Boat report for the last week or so 3/22-3/28

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

guanagator

Boat report for the last week or so 3/22-3/28

Post by guanagator » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Fish have been chewing hard this last week, been getting out every afternoon that I can. Bait is everywhere in the creeks and it's not very hot yet great time to fish.

It's Alexis's birthday this week so we went out for a jetty session with Steve and had an amazing time! He put us on the fish, first hook up was a ray that came off a few yards from the boat, good warm up for the next taker a nice sized sandbar shark. First time I've seen a shark caught on a crab, Alexis had fun fighting it glad she got to see it for a second before it dove again and broke the line. After weeding through a few monster toadfish we finally got the real subtle tap Steve was looking for, glad he was cause I didn't notice anything then he tightened up and drag squeeled, drum on!! Alexis landed the first one, her biggest fish yet! She caught the nice looking one too, mine was def the "big ugly"!! I wrenched up the next couple slime balls and then we decided to give the arms a break and move inshore, found a few trout and reds to close out the trip.

At the marina the next boat over had put a hurting on some sheepshead so I decided to drop my boat in and round up some convicts. Buddy met me at the oak harbor ramp and we managed to put a few in the cooler for fish tacos.

Since then been targeting the reds working on my 321fish tourney entries, caught a lot of reds but most have them have been overslot or spotless.... Yesterday evening got on a bunch of them but they were feeding on the small shrimp and hard to convince to bite, finally stuck a nice on on topwater, 25 inches 3 spots not first but a better fish for me, wait where is my token..... In the hobie.... Should I bring the red home? Already have a flounder in the box so might as well.... Nah not for just a few bucks and the flounder was more than enough for dinner. Going to be really kicking myself if I get bumped out of the money for letting this one go.... Printed up a few more tokens so don't have to worry about moving it between the boat and yak!!!

Speaking of which the PA is still yet to be slimed but I have been making her my own, picked up the anchor trolley, a visicarbon light, and figuring out my crate/livewell options.

Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

jman82

Re: Boat report for the last week or so 3/22-3/28

Post by jman82 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Nice Report! Hitting up all the different inshore species you could on that week, I'm Jealous! I picked up one of those Vudu Mullet's myself and have been wearing out the bass in the ponds around my Condo complex but haven't had a chance to try it out saltwater fishing yet. How were you working it for the flounder and have you had any luck with the reds or trout with it?
2015 Slayer Propel 13

keastman

Post by keastman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:34 pm

No doubt why you folks are smiling. Nice catching.

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks guys, I use that vudu mostly for trout and reds, was actually trying to sight cast a red and dropped it on the flounders head. I had casted it a few yards in front of the red and went to twitch in when the red pushed close but it was snagged, then the drag squealed and the red freaked out.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Nice report. Some great fish in here... You certainly are living well.

jbond352

Post by jbond352 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:20 pm

It looks like you all had a blast! I always like seeing your reports. No nonsense and informative.
Bic Ace Tec Wing 12'6"

Starboard 14' All Star AST

weimed

Post by weimed » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Hey Chris, Great job!!! by the way i fixed the stalling issue. The gas cap was messed up, needed to pop the little white tab on the bottom of the cap so the outboard can suck air aka vent. Sorry, forgot to add Happy Birthday!
Last edited by weimed on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Hey guanagator.......Great summary of your recent trips and LOTS of cools pix of your catches!! You have been slaying them and many species also which is cool....
Happy Birthday to Alexis!!!
JYJ

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:49 am

Thanks for the bday wishes, I will pass them along to the better half. Glad to share my reports hope they help some of you get on fish or decide where to go or what to target. I've been putting in as much time as I can recently as work has been a bit slow. Today is her actual birthday and we are going to try to get on some sheepshead with the midday high tide. Yet to get on a real consistent sheepshead bite but the ones we have found have made up for it in size. Best luck has been mid to incoming tide with lots of water moving over structure in 15-30ft of water with most of the big ones being on the deep side of that range. Blue crab, fiddlers, or shrimp all seem to work well, moving around a lot checking channel markers and pillings till we get some attention, hooked a few at little jetties but ratio of fish to lost gear in rocks makes for expensive fillets.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

gumby

Post by gumby » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 am

happy birthday to the young lady.

Those are some purty fish!!! Well done!
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

Griggs

Post by Griggs » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Great catch man. Sounds like you had fun

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:09 pm

Great looking fish! Thanks for sharing!