Brown's Feb 22

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

67197mlk

Brown's Feb 22

Post by 67197mlk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Launched the Solo this morning at around 1030. Fished the east side of Brown's Creek with a wide aray of artificial baits. Baits ranged from Gulp shrimp, 5 different colors of Slayer paddle tails, spinner bait, and Mirrodine (redfish).

This weekend I was in Tallahassee, and stopped by Bass Pro. There was a guide there discussing trout techniques and tips. I utilized several of those tips and was able to produce multiple trout. Nothing worth taking pictures of, but one of his tips was to use a popping cork and a plain circle hook. On the circle hook, put a Gulp shrimp on, through the head. During winter time, the decent is super slow and can allow bigger fish more opportunity.

The popping cork tip paid off and landed a 26.5" redfish, which came home.

I spent most of day exploring in areas I could fit. Mainly threw spinner baits, but constantly switched colors. He mentioned if you are using a color and catching several small trout, switch colors. Lots of good info out there and the constant switching kept me from getting burned out.

https://youtu.be/pLZZZZhMSqc

Overall, it was an exciting day.
I rarely get to video myself catching fish. As soon as I turn on camera, I catch nothing. I turn it off, I catch a bunch.... The story of my life.
ImageImage
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

Kahuna13

Re: Brown's Feb 22

Post by Kahuna13 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:47 am

Nice slobber knocker of a red there! That flattie ain't no slouch either :salute:

Looks like a great day on the water and thanks for sharing the trout tips you learned!

jbond352

Post by jbond352 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:47 am

Great informative report! I like browns, but that is a big area to explore for the SUP. Maybe I'll make it out there one day.
Bic Ace Tec Wing 12'6"

Starboard 14' All Star AST

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 am

Nice report and fish! I need to get over to Browns again it's been a few years.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

weimed

Post by weimed » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Very Nice, enjoy your fish :)

TexasDave

Post by TexasDave » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:13 pm

67197mlk wrote:but one of his tips was to use a popping cork and a plain circle hook. On the circle hook, put a Gulp shrimp on, through the head. During winter time, the decent is super slow and can allow bigger fish more opportunity.
Nice report! I love using this tactic at Guana. Works well at night in the creeks with no moonlight or low visibility conditions too. Just reel in slowly until you come tight. The circle hook does all the work.

Chap

Post by Chap » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:02 pm

TexasDave wrote:
67197mlk wrote:but one of his tips was to use a popping cork and a plain circle hook. On the circle hook, put a Gulp shrimp on, through the head. During winter time, the decent is super slow and can allow bigger fish more opportunity.
Nice report! I love using this tactic at Guana. Works well at night in the creeks with no moonlight or low visibility conditions too. Just reel in slowly until you come tight. The circle hook does all the work.
I believe I am going to try this out on my next yak trip.
Paul

Thanks to Uncle Tony, Uncle Larry, and John for taking me fishing.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

thanks for the kind words guys. every time i get out there, it is an experiment. i see everyones posts and what they are using and i try to repeat it. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. no big deal. here are the results from today... i put in around 9 and fished until 3. threw the same as yesterday and results were about the same. minus the flounder and upper slot red. i did catch a bunch of trout and a rat red. i photograph most everything to remind me on the slow days that there are at least those fish still out there somewhere.... i will hopefully be unloading tomorrow morning same time, 0900 so if anyone has the time, ill be at browns. Chap, i caught this rat red on the popping cork/circle hook with a gulp pearl curly tail. i couldnt believe it worked...

RLend

Post by RLend » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:01 pm

You are living right with a couple of back to back quality fishing days. Nice job on the Red and Flounder video as well. Quality fish.....nice job!
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:05 pm

RLend wrote:You are living right with a couple of back to back quality fishing days. Nice job on the Red and Flounder video as well. Quality fish.....nice job!
Thank you, sir.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Hey MLK,,,,,, I like this comment you made and I "used" to do that fairly often....dunno why I got away from it.... :scratch:

"67197mlk wrote:
but one of his tips was to use a popping cork and a plain circle hook. On the circle hook, put a Gulp shrimp on, through the head. During winter time, the decent is super slow and can allow bigger fish more opportunity."

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:33 pm

agreed John. ya learn something new every day... it is gonna be one i will keep trying. at least another option when i cant catch anything, gives me something else to try. some days, the fish want nothing. i am not promoting this guy, but here is his website. lots of good info. i am going to use some of his ideas and see what works here in northeast florida. could help some of the others that are very new also. he seemed like a nice enough guy too. i emailed him the other day to thank him for the free info at bass pro and he responded with how he did the other day and what all he used. im all about building bridges, never know when youll need that help later down the road.

http://www.onemorecast.net/

keastman

Post by keastman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Glad to see you are putting that new boat to good use.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Checked that link and got a real surprise....Capt. Pat McGriff!!!
Did not know who you were talking about, but he seems like a really great guy and is very cordial and knowledgeable!!

Saw him do seminars at the Spring Florida Sportsman Show here in JAX and also at a kayak tourney over in the Big Bend area.....the man SLAYS the big trout!!
On the Photos section of his site, there are many very nice trout and the 9th picture shows the main tip that stuck with me....a float rig and a whole live pinfish!! He said he never leaves the dock without a live well full of them..and he changes them very frequently before they tire and die.
Very friendly and helpful....Glad I checked out the link you provided...Thanks!!
JohnYaksJax

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:14 pm

keastman wrote:Glad to see you are putting that new boat to good use.
kevin, ill say this, my solo doesn't look remotely close to new anymore with as much as I use it. if weather permits, I fish for a minimum 3 days every other week. if im off for 5 days and no rain, ill fish 5 of those 5 days.... its an obsession. and with the solo being so easy to throw in the truck now, ill load it night before or morning of, and scram. when I get back to the house, I wash entire solo and engine down. then flush motor. takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. so much easier and cheaper than running my big boat.
JohnYaksJax wrote:Checked that link and got a real surprise....Capt. Pat McGriff!!!
Did not know who you were talking about, but he seems like a really great guy and is very cordial and knowledgeable!!

Saw him do seminars at the Spring Florida Sportsman Show here in JAX and also at a kayak tourney over in the Big Bend area.....the man SLAYS the big trout!!
On the Photos section of his site, there are many very nice trout and the 9th picture shows the main tip that stuck with me....a float rig and a whole live pinfish!! He said he never leaves the dock without a live well full of them..and he changes them very frequently before they tire and die.
Very friendly and helpful....Glad I checked out the link you provided...Thanks!!
JohnYaksJax
for sure! I see he does that kind of stuff. when I catch fish from someone elses tips, spots, advice, lures, whatever, I make it a point to pay respect where respect is due. I see he runs a lot of his popping corks with live bait, weightless. never thought to do it that way. I wanted to get out today but weather gave me the middle finger. so I guess I will have to wait a week before I get out there. next week, Tuesday thru Friday... that's the plan at least. will probably try the weightless popping cork with mud minnows. not sure where to get my hands on some pinfish around here. anyone out there who knows how to acquire them, hook a brother up!!