Drone Videos (Simpson's Creek & Nassau Sound)

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Austin9790

Drone Videos (Simpson's Creek & Nassau Sound)

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:35 am

Hello everyone! First off, I would like to introduce myself and say that I have greatly enjoyed reading all the fishing reports and learning from the wealth of knowledge here at the site. I have never posted before because I haven't felt like I have had much to contribute in the past, but I hope to be much more active in the future.

I usually fish out of my Hobie Revolution 11 in the various creeks around Heckshire Drive the majority of the time. However, a coworker of mine invited me out on his boat yesterday to try for some Sheepshead (an allusive fish I have yet to net). I think it is ironic that my first fishing report on the kayak fishing forum I have enjoyed so much comes from a day I wasn't even in my kayak, but I thought several of you might enjoy this footage. We started the day putting in at Nassau Sound at about 9:00am and since the tide wasn't quite right yet for the Sheepshead we headed east towards the northern half of Simpson's Creek. We tried a few spots in the creek with not much luck (2 dink trout) throwing live shrimp on 1/4oz jig heads. There were a lot of kayaks in the creek that day and I definitely know what it's like to be the little man on the water so we tried not to disturb the guys staked out too much in the boat. At about 11:00am we headed back towards the A1A Bridge and the Nassau Sound Fishing Pier to try for the Sheepshead at low tide. This didn't prove to be a much more productive tactic as we were only able to land 2 puppy black drum and weren't getting many bites that seemed promising. There were several folks fishing the pilings under the bridge that day and after talking to them it seemed like not too many people were having much better luck in that area. So all in all, it was a fantastic day on the water even though we didn't get to bend the rod very much or bring anything home for supper. I was able to bring out the new toy and see how it handled over water. I must say that even though I was incredibly nervous flying over water, it was absolutely worth it to get some great shots of one of my favorite places in town. I hope you guys enjoy the footage and don't take it too hard on me as I'm still getting the hang of flying this bad boy, and my video editing skills are minimal to say the least. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDzEKK3EQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBsA-0mtCK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZE9X6sDMY
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport

Kahuna13

Re: Drone Videos (Simpson's Creek & Nassau Sound)

Post by Kahuna13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:53 am

well, that was pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Was that Saturday or Sunday?

SteveO9812

Post by SteveO9812 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:20 am

Those are awesome! I especially like the "follow me" video. My wife is probably not going to be happy now cause I'm gonna be wanting a drone :lol:
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

2015 Ascend FS128T

Austin9790

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:23 am

Kahuna13 wrote:well, that was pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing!

This was Saturday. The weather was beautiful and it was a great day to be on the water.
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport

Austin9790

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:26 am

SteveO9812 wrote:Those are awesome! I especially like the "follow me" video. My wife is probably not going to be happy now cause I'm gonna be wanting a drone :lol:
It definitely took some convincing to get my wife on board as well :) But once she came around I didn't give her a chance to change her mind before I ordered one! I have only had it for about two weeks and I have really been enjoying it so far. I hope to get some nice shots of several places around town that are popular for us kayak fishermen in the summer when I have more free time.
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport

Kahuna13

Post by Kahuna13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 am

That thing looks like it has some amazing range. How far away can you fly it?

jaxcreek

Post by jaxcreek » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 am

Great videos!
Native Slayer 10
Solo Skiff
A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

weimed

Post by weimed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 am

Great videos! I wonder who that is in that yellow Ocean Kayak :X

Kahuna13

Post by Kahuna13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:59 am

Austin9790 wrote:

This was Saturday. The weather was beautiful and it was a great day to be on the water.
I was out there with a buddy of mine on his boat Saturday, that's why i was asking....will have to go back and see if I spot us. We were traveling the same routes, that's for sure.

Austin9790

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:12 am

Kahuna13 wrote:That thing looks like it has some amazing range. How far away can you fly it?
The specs on the DJI website say 5km, or roughly 3 miles. I don't know if I believe all of that, but the video of the A1A bridge has a part where I fly towards the beach where folks are driving and the pilot app on the iPad said that was almost 5,000 feet away from me. I started losing video feed and turned back around, but that is still incredibly good to me.
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 am

Really enjoyed your video and watching my home base for fishing and where I have been living for the past 15 years. Very difficult to explain to people just how wonderful this area is. :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Austin9790

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 am

weimed wrote:Great videos! I wonder who that is in that yellow Ocean Kayak :X
Haha I hope we didn't mess up your flow too much in the boat. My buddy hadn't fished in Simpson's since before Kayak Amelia opened and he was amazed how many kayaks were out there that day. I told him we're taking over!
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport

Austin9790

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:19 am

Kahuna13 wrote:
Austin9790 wrote:

I was out there with a buddy of mine on his boat Saturday, that's why i was asking....will have to go back and see if I spot us. We were traveling the same routes, that's for sure.
What kind of boat were y'all in? I might have seen you.
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport

Kahuna13

Post by Kahuna13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:21 am

A tan colored flat bottom jon boat w/ a Yamaha 25 hp. 2 on board.

Austin9790

Post by Austin9790 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:27 am

Kahuna13 wrote:A tan colored flat bottom jon boat w/ a Yamaha 25 hp. 2 on board.
I think I do remember seeing that rig out there. Unfortunately the batteries don't last too long so I wasn't doing any filming at that time. I was too busy not catching any fish :D
Blue Hobie Revolution 11
Yellow Hobie Sport