calm water advise needed

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

donaldmoore

calm water advise needed

Post by donaldmoore » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:54 pm

I am retiring soon and plan to get a kayak and fish some with my son who lives in the Palatka area. Can you give me some safe spots to start in salt water fishing which would be calm, without fast currents, which would be a safe place for an older person (possibly with a dog on board) to start out with fishing from a kayak. thanks, donald.

hmmngwy

Re: calm water advise needed

Post by hmmngwy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Guana Lake.

It would be a great place to start.

Fish & Paddle

Post by Fish & Paddle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Note, I would not recommend taking a dog on Guana Lake...too many gators!
Sandy

Native Slayer Propel 13 (Copperhead)
Native Slayer Propel 10 (LIzard Lick)

mcrewsz71

Post by mcrewsz71 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:31 pm

If you check out the "Fishing Spots" tab at the top of the page it will give you an idea of different launches and their paddling difficulty.

Pumpkin Hill was my go to spot when I first started, may be a little bit of a drive for you though!
-Matt

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:02 pm

I did a lot of my early paddling in the St. Johns around Mandarin. And some fishing, too.

After you get your sea legs in the river down there in Palatka, Mill Cove might be a good bet on calm days, not so much on windy days. I've learned to look at the tide AND the wind forecast. Over about 8-10 mph gets uncomfortable for me, but I've paddled in lots worse. I just don't like it. But a southerly breeze at 10 mph is not bad in Mill Cove if you stay near shore. Oak Harbor (when it reopens) I favor when we have east or southeast winds. There's almost no good place to be in a north or northwest blow.

Good luck and be safe!
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello Donald and Welcome to JKF!!! Also, welcome to the "age of retirement" also, since I have been in that age group for 5 years!! :thumbright:

Please take note of the post by "Fish & Paddle's" above....Dogs DO NOT belong in waters where alligators frequent!! Their "doggy paddle" is a sure way to attract large reptiles!! :pale:
Even though the St. Johns River is slightly tidal all the way to Palatka, there are both sharks caught that far south, and any fresh water nearby will have gators nearby.....

If you head East toward the Atlantic, or West to the Gulf, there are good places to fish for saltwater species.
Your closest areas to saltwater fish seem to be the St. Augustine and Matanzas and Palm Coast areas, and if you "Search" (look above just under the JKF logo)) you will find them mentioned...MANY TIMES!!
Also, "mcrewsz71" mentioned looking in the FISHING SPOTS area above....great suggestion!!
Good luck and hopefully someone down your way will take you on your "maiden voyage".....!!
JohnYaksJax

captmallyboog

Post by captmallyboog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Salt run in St. Augustine
Malibu X Factor
Malibu Mini X

keastman

Post by keastman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I second salt run in St. Aug, no problems with the dog there as far as gators, unless it jumps out and tries to run/swim on the oysters which will cut his/her feet up in a hurry. There is current there from the tide but very minimal and does not cause problems paddling against it. There is also a kayak launch there adjacent to the boat ramp. Though it is a pain at low tide. You can still launch from the beach next to the kayak launch.

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Second the Salt Run - great place to get acquainted with salt....
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

captmallyboog

Post by captmallyboog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 pm

For your first time launch during low tide so you can see where the oyster bars are at.
Paddle around to the south end and wait for the tide to come in.
I would castnet some finger mullet on the sand bars in the middle of the lagoon area.
Once the tide is all the way in fish the creek mouth and oyster bars as the tide drops.
Most of the area inside the park is less than 4 feet deep at high tide and less than 1 foot at low tide.
There is a slight chanel in the middle of the park with a couple of deeper holes.
Malibu X Factor
Malibu Mini X

Outdoorlife

Post by Outdoorlife » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 am

I second guana as far as calm water goes. Took my wife out there a few times and she had no issues. You see a lot of new kayakers there on the weekends from rental services...
"It is not what we have that will make us a great nation; it is the way in which we use it." Theodore Roosevelt

donaldmoore

Post by donaldmoore » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:09 pm

thanks for all the info and advise. I had been looking at Guana but was not familiar with Salt Run, it looks like a good place to start. thanks again, donald.

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Fish & Paddle wrote:Note, I would not recommend taking a dog on Guana Lake...too many gators!
That demands what time of the year it is with the temp's . I take my at times , pretty much thru duck hunting season , except for early teal season in Sept .

DrK

Post by DrK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:51 pm

Salt Run would be the perfect place especially if you are coming from Palatka. Go into Anastasia State Park and launch where they rent kayaks, sailboats and paddleboards. It's quite protected and the water is around hip to chest deep most of the time. Oysters are just on the far east side while the western side is sandy/muddy. During summer there are a lot of kids doing summer camps there and taking out sailboats and kayaks on their own.

yooper

Post by yooper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:42 pm

I also say salt run /very easy to launch/and lots of fish