How do I love thee? I can count three ways........

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:16 am

I have been chasing Carp and writing about the same now for about 15 years. Like every other Carp Angler I have been asked the standard questions:

"You fish for Carp? On purpose?"

"What do you do with 'em? You don't EAT 'em, do you?"

There are as many reasons to fish for Carp as there are Carp baits and Carp anglers and that number alone could almost approach infinity. But (change of direction) I can answer why I love Carp fishing by counting three simple ways.

I was reminded yesterday of the importance of friends and the joy of spending time with others. I had the pleasure of spending the day at Salacoa Creek Park in Ranger, Ga with Jim Hatter, Bobby Cochran, Lance Clements, John Torchick and Barry Shildneck.

Jim "Hatman" Hatter is in a class by himself. He can put on a tux and hobnob with the elite. He can discuss finance, politics and the state of the union with the best of them but he can also advise you as to how to get a proper parking spot at a California Wedding if you will give him a listening ear. He is a special guy and that's why I suppose, he had a feather in his cap today.

Bobby Cochran is one of the kindest guys that I have met in a long time. His character is as solid as Stone Mountain and he is content and pleasant regardless of the situation. He is a joy to spend a day with every time and any day.

Jim, Bobby and I spent the day with Lance, John and Barry for a pre-Fish In-Fish In at Salacoa Creel Park yesterday. Everyone brings something different to the table and yesterday Lance brought his canoe and he and I baited up and chatted a while as we glided along our way. In just a short distance I learned more about Lance and a great deal more about the importance of a quality paddle, PFD and a finely made craft. I'm not sure why but I was remiss in not taking pictures of Lance's 1st rate Bell canoe. I learn stuff every time I'm around Lance (and on occasion I even use what I've learned.)

John Torchick is a piece of work. You can tell by his expression that he seems to always have something up his sleeve. He has a repertoire of applicable fun, clean (and fairly funny) jokes for every occasion and he adds a refreshing flair to what we call "bank talk." He is just an enjoyable fellow to be around.

Finally, Barry Shildneck. Barry has a booming Radio voice and is always upbeat and positive. He loves discussing baits, techniques and equipment and he goes out of his way to make sure that everyone around him has a good time.

So Carpin' ? How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.(I love thee for the PEOPLE I meet.)

The second reason I love Carpin' is I have a sidekick that is second to none. Believe it or not, Maximus Relaximus is known and has been held and photographed with not only friends from across the country but many others who live thousands of miles away! In fact, Max was recently recognized by the Carp Anglers Group in a meeting in Chicago (The CCC) for being an outstanding ambassador to the sport! ( I am not kidding folks) His relaxation techniques and Lick and Release have gained him world wild acclaim.

So Carpin' ? How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.(I love thee for the PUP.)

I also love Carpin for the scenery and pictures that I get to take. Im no photographer and I have a cheap old digital camera but I occasionally capture a shot that someone who isn't able to get out and about like we do really enjoys. It is those times that I can say....

So Carpin' ? How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.(I love the for the PICTURES.)

So in closing I haven't even mentioned the fish. But as I reflected over the last 15 years and looked into my Mirror yesterday.......

I can say "Carpin'? How do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

The People
The Pup
The Pictures
Ol Captain
"Be Ye Fishers of men. You catch 'em and He will clean 'em"

DougyMillCove

Re: How do I love thee? I can count three ways........

Post by DougyMillCove » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Way to go Max!
That dog has a future in politics.
DMC

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 pm

OlCaptain.......Very nice report and pix....AS USUAL......you post GREAT stories and pix.....
JYJ

PS: You summarized with three "P" words....People, Pup, and Pix....and I think you "missed" 4 more P words:

Proper Pulldowns

Puffs of Perfection

:salute:

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Oh how I love the fish lick pics! :)
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

olcaptain

Post by olcaptain » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Kudzu wrote:Oh how I love the fish lick pics! :)
It is an acquired taste :)
Ol Captain
"Be Ye Fishers of men. You catch 'em and He will clean 'em"