Another non pfd wearing death

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

stacktester

Another non pfd wearing death

Post by stacktester » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:21 pm

2 people lost their lives in one week in our area. That's just 2 we heard about. If you think you're too cool or it's uncomfortable wearing a pfd you better think again. I fell off my kayak in the Guana River a couple years ago in 4 feet of water without one and found it difficult to get reorganized after my clothes were soaked and being in cold water. I hope everyone wears one. Don't be a statistic please.

SuaSponte

Re: Another non pfd wearing death

Post by SuaSponte » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Totally agreed, when I got flipped by the cargo ship in the St. Johns river, I had my PFD on. Given the section I was in was pretty shallow but when those 3'-4' swells slammed into me on the yak I easily submerged for a moment and was unable to get my feet planted. Those swells increased in height as they flowed in. Luckily I had the PFD and was able to keep my hands on the kayak even though it flipped over completely.

Once I got my feet down it was very hard to flip the yak back over with waves crashing in. I recovered everything except for my knife and car keys. That was also after pulling in the yak and staking it down, then walking up and down the reeds for 1/2 am hour. Two weeks later someone found my keys in the St. Johns and turned them into Baileys gym because of my membership tag.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:07 pm

PFD is the wrong name for this device. They should still be called LIFE JACKET. They are not to keep you afloat... they are to save your life!!!
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Redfish Chaser

Post by Redfish Chaser » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:51 pm

I wear my PFD when I am in the river, creeks, guana, etc, it doesnt matter. If I am in a yak I am wearing it and yes I know how to swim but I am sure alot of drowning victims know how to swim...

Craig
Native Watercraft Slayer Propel Image
Native Watercraft Pro Staff
SureSet Jigs Fishing Team
Quantum Fishing
Accent Paddles

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 am

I will admit that it is uncomfortable to wear them but if you are going to dedicate yourself to be on the water then spend the extra money and get an inflatable one.
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

DaiwaNut

Post by DaiwaNut » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:06 pm

I wear my PFD 100% of the time, no questions asked. I am so anal about it I put it on before I even pull the yak out of the truck.
ImageImageImage

tdsdad

Post by tdsdad » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:22 pm

I was proud to say that after 15+ years of paddling I had never dumped-that all changed when I found myself underwater upside down-I think I may have passed out briefly or had some kind of episode-at 68 maybe it's time to learn new tricks and invest in an inflatable-lucky for me it was at lowtide and I could stand up to retrieve things-lost two combos ($390 worth) and lots of other stuff, ruined my phone and was really shaking the next time I went out-not fun-could have been deadly had I been in deeper water
take your kids fishing-someday they will take you!!!!

http//www.inshoreadventures.net-a daily fishing report

garyfishes

Post by garyfishes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Not wearing a PFD is like not having insurance. Both don't help until you need it and you never know when you are going to need it. Wear one all the time I'm on the water. You should too.
Last edited by garyfishes on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:05 pm

I mostly fish Guana and I still always wear one. My main reason for doing it? When I started this hobby in my Scanoe I was fishing with my two boys. Not only did I want to be a good example for them, but I also didn't like the idea of something happening to me that left them stranded by themselves out on the water.

If you can drown in a hot tub, baby pool, or even a bath tub then you can drown in Guana Lake.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123