Rookie Mistake

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Biggreenhorn

Rookie Mistake

Post by Biggreenhorn » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Been going out once a month for the last 6-8 months (I'm actually from Atl, so once a month is the best I can do) and decided to try a spot that seemed promising. Went down to Vilano Beach area - to a creek across the way from Caps/Mikes bait shop. My first mistake was thinking I should try to cross the river/intercoastal at 4pm on a sunday..second mistake was thinking I could have a leisurely afternoon of fishing on Labor Day weekend..I now have a clear understanding why everyone on this forum despises Jet Skiers! I literally got into a yelling match with 2 jet skiers who were doing laps around me in the creek. After an hour on the water, I called it quits because it wasn't even enjoyable..

Thanks for listening to me venting! :angryfire:

On a side note, I'm starting to think I suck at fishing..haven't caught more than 6 fish total in all my time on the water. I'm thinking its cause I hop around too much and don't learn one creek during high and low tides. ( Actually the only time I caught anything decent was thanks to Clark, after running to him at Simpsons and getting some tips and cut bait from him!)

Ok those are my rambling thoughts. Will try again tomorrow AM, but may stick to SML this time.

go Dawgs - Chris

Ring King

Re: Rookie Mistake

Post by Ring King » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Go hit up Guana Lake from either the dam or SML. If the wind isn't too bad follow the Eastern shoreline and watch the edges for reds pushing along the grass. Throw a weightless soft plastic jerkbait on a 4/0 hook in front of them (a good 10ft or so) and wait for them to get close. Twitch it a few times and hold on!!!

If you have issues with the wind blowing head out towards the observation tower. Just get in the middle of the lake and troll a paddletail or a soft jerkbait on a 1/8 or 1/4oz jighead and a silver sided 17MR just back and forth in the open water until you find the trout. If you launch from SML you'll need to head South. If you launch from the dam you'll obviously need to head North. Always be ready with a Heddon Spook Jr in Bone color. I've caught plenty of trout and reds on that in there.

One final tip: If you see a guy in a yellow and black canoe slaying the fish.......PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT HE'S DOING!!!!! LOL
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2014 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2017 Hobie Outback

Biggreenhorn

Post by Biggreenhorn » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:43 pm

You the man Ring King! Thanks!

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 am

SML is a good bet follow the above advice. On the way to main lake paddle slow and troll soft plastics or shallow runners some of the best reds I've caught have been in the deeper pass towards the main lake. If you get out early enough the top water can be phenomenal along that pass and again around the observation tower. The trout are stacked up on the south end though if that's your preferred flavor you may do better drifting across the main lake within sight of the damn. Just stay out of range of the guys launching 3 oz lead with 9ft surf rods wading.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Some awesome advice!