Mandarin 4-2

Who caught what, when, where, and how.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Tmdfam

Mandarin 4-2

Post by Tmdfam » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Headed out of county dock road ramp tonight around 6pm. I headed north towards the bridge trying new territory as i usually head south. Started throwing at the docks and picked up a few small trout. I looked on the map before i headed out and noticed two cut creeks right in between the first couple of docks. So the game plan was to head in and see what i can find. The first creek provided no action what so ever (full of bait though). Paddled out and headed for the second creek right around the corner. As i paddled towards the mouth i noticed the water was just boiling with action. I toss out the top water to see what will bite. Lure hits the water and 2 twitches later i land a nice 2-3lbs large mouth bass. SO now i am confused as i am in the middle of the st johns river. Water still boiling so i throw out in the same spot with paddle tail and couple twitches bam nice yellow mouth trout. So confusion is really setting in now. Ok i guess third times the charm. Throw the paddle tail out again in the same spot and i land a nice little gar. Well as they say in south...thats the darndest thing i ever saw....same spot 3 different species. So i paddle into the creek and same as before, no action. I paddle out and begin to think something has to be holding all these different species in one spot so i fish the end of the 2 docks just north of the creek and begin to wear the trout out. In a matter of 1 hour i managed to catch 16 trout all 15-17.5 inches. I kept 4 trout for dinner as momma said don't come home until dinner is caught. So i didn't dissapoint.

All fish were caught on an overboard 6'6" soul pole with slayer paddle tail and jig except for the bass which was caught on topwater emmrod with a superspook jr.

pics below enjoy.
Attachments
trout 4-2.jpg
trout 4-2.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
sunset 4-2.jpg
sunset 4-2.jpg (91.86 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
yellow mouth 4-2.jpg
yellow mouth 4-2.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
large mouth 4-2.jpg
large mouth 4-2.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 2419 times

Sure Catch

Re: Mandarin 4-2

Post by Sure Catch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Nice fish Tim
Hustle in silence, let your success make the noise!!
SureSet Jigs
Werner paddles
Native watercraft
MirrOlure

HARLEY

Post by HARLEY » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am

Great going Tim, its great when you get that part of the river, you just dont know what you are gonna get. :cool:
2015 NATIVE ULTIMATE FX12

Ring King

Post by Ring King » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:35 am

Sweet!! I think I'd have stuck with the spook jr and the green trout though if it were me! I need to get back down to Julington Creek and see what's moving around a little farther back in there towards Clark's Fish Camp. I haven't been in there yet with the Pro Angler!

There are always plenty of trout hanging out along that bank heading North towards the bridge. I use to shrimp out there when I lived off of Old St Augustine Rd. We often found the trout busting on shrimp late in the evenings while waiting for dark. If you know where the Mandarin Point hole is then you know another great spot to fish that isn't up on the docks. It's a couple hundred yards from the bank but it's a good drop off from 7' to about 20' of water and holds fish year round.
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2014 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2017 Hobie Outback

tdsdad

Post by tdsdad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am

Looks like a great day-those trout look like quadruplets
take your kids fishing-someday they will take you!!!!

http//www.inshoreadventures.net-a daily fishing report

Tmdfam

Post by Tmdfam » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:27 am

tdsdad wrote:Looks like a great day-those trout look like quadruplets
Mr. Tom, they were all 16.25-17 as i threw back the bigger and smaller ones. just needed dinner and 16-17 are always best in my family
Ring King wrote:Sweet!! I think I'd have stuck with the spook jr and the green trout though if it were me!.
Thought about it Matt until i saw the giant Gar surface next to the yak. Was willing to lose a jig over a nice topwater..Let me know when you want to go into Julington Creek as i have not been there in years.
HARLEY wrote:Great going Tim, its great when you get that part of the river, you just dont know what you are gonna get. :cool:
Charlie, thanks, Not as big as the horse you got the other day.
Sure Catch wrote:Nice fish Tim
Thanks Eddie, i need to get with you to get some jigs

Redfish Chaser

Post by Redfish Chaser » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 am

Nice catching Tim!

My grandmother used to live on that 2nd creek and when I was a kid we would wear out the warmouth bass fishing off the bank there...

Craig
Native Watercraft Slayer Propel Image
Native Watercraft Pro Staff
SureSet Jigs Fishing Team
Quantum Fishing
Accent Paddles

arunram

Post by arunram » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 am

Nice Job Tim! Hope to Join you next time out!

Arun.
Fishing isn’t a matter of life and death. It’s much more important!

crusher

Post by crusher » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Nice trout Tim, I once caught a 40" gar in that very same spot. That second creek is the mouth to Deep Bottom Creek, it runs through our property. About 120 years ago Albert M. Scott had a small pulpwood mill just inside the creek. That's where Scott Mill Rd. got its name, C.

MRobb

Post by MRobb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Great report! My wife and kids love to eat trout more than any other fish.

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 am

Nice.... I live about 1/4 mile from that ramp and have never put in. Guess its time to try my luck.

Tmdfam

Post by Tmdfam » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 am

CJ_Tiz wrote:Nice.... I live about 1/4 mile from that ramp and have never put in. Guess its time to try my luck.
I have been fishing out there for a couple weeks now after work as i live like 5 minutes away. The trout are out there in huge schools when you find them. Also the reds are between the docks.......hope to see you out there sometime

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

Sounds good... Will probably be next week. I get off work at 2:30. I can be in the water by 3:30. I will keep an eye out.