Annual sales at Black Creek Outfitters?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Mteele

Annual sales at Black Creek Outfitters?

Post by Mteele » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Does anyone know if or when Black Creek Outfitters will run a big sale? I’m looking to buy the Hobie Pro Angler 17T and 10% would be huge. But from what I have seen and heard they don’t bargain very often. I like to support local, but another dealer may be willing to give me the discount on a demo model. Just trying to weigh my time and money options, and get on the water. Thanks all!

tadpole

Re: Annual sales at Black Creek Outfitters?

Post by tadpole » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 pm

It's been awhile since I bought a new kayak from BCO, but I found them to be reasonable when presented with a confirmed competitive offer. especially considering the service they provide. Having someone on your side if you have an issue has some value. it never hurts to ask them directly.
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello Mteele, and I wanted to add my $0.02 to your post!!
Dealers like BCO sign "Non-Compete Contracts" with all their major vendors, and especially the different kayak brands and "big ticket items"...

They can lose their "vendor license" if they get caught selling at "discounted prices" instead of published prices that all dealers are supposed to quote and match. Premium brands like Hobie and the others that BCO carry have contracts for geographical areas.

I worked there P/T for 5 1/2 years and still have a "relationship" with them and send business to them. The only people on staff who change the kayak pricing are the owners, Joe and Liz Butler, and possibly the Senior Manager Matt Hite. There are "quantity discounts" for large orders and also sales during the year when New Models are announced and you "may" get discounts on models that are being upgrades, so "it does not hurt to ask" is always a good policy.....Good Luck!!
John Stewart aka "JohnYaksJax"
PS: New models of kayaks and other "big ticket items" are usually announced in the Spring, so certain times of year have are important to watch for....

stacktester

Post by stacktester » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:46 am

Do yourself a favor and go on Facebook marketplace or some of the kayak pages. Unless you deal with jyj I would buy used. People get rid of Kayaks for many reasons and you might find it worth your time to look around.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Good reasons to look around various sites and see what is for sale....good point bringing that option up Donnie!!

Many reasons why people sell kayaks online:
-- Health issues
--Family issues
--Financial matters
-- Just wanted to try another hobby

ALWAYS give the used kayak/canoe a good flotation test or at least check for leaks.
In JAX, you can almost always find a place to test drive the craft.
Otherwise, put the kayak/canoe on a dry place like a driveway and use the owner's hose to fill the craft with about 6" of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then lift the bow and then the stern about knee high. Ask the seller to lift the craft off the driveway and put it down nearby and watch for leaks and "wet spots" on the driveway!!
If it leaks, either walk away or be prepared to fix the problem, or have our buddy in here, Clark AKA "the KayakDoctor" look at it and quote you a price to fix it. He is a member in here, and his email is "kayakdoctor@gmail.com"

Good Luck with your decision!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: Stacktester aka Donnie Leeper is an excellent repairman for the Native Propel Drives!!

Mteele

Post by Mteele » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks for the help everyone! I would always prefer buying local but sometimes it just doesn't make financial sense. I located a 2017 Hobie Pro Angler 17T (tandem) demo thats never seen the water and is on its way to me. Looking forward to learning more from the group here.