Will color of Kayak affect fishing quality?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

TC&OKEE

Will color of Kayak affect fishing quality?

Post by TC&OKEE » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm interested in buying the old town motorized predator MK kayak for fishing around the Indian River lagoon along the treasure coast and sometimes off the Kissimmee river in Okeechobee and Highlands counties. The colors available are camo, gray, red and green. How will the color affect attracting or distracting fish. What color do you suggest? Also should I be concerned about gators while sitting in kayak seat while floating the Kissimmee river?

JohnYaksJax

Re: Will color of Kayak affect fishing quality?

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Hello TC&OKEE and Welcome to JKF!!!

I'm interested in buying the old town motorized predator MK kayak for fishing around the Indian River lagoon along the treasure coast and sometimes off the Kissimmee river in Okeechobee and Highlands counties. The colors available are camo, gray, red and green. How will the color affect attracting or distracting fish. What color do you suggest?
JYJ.....I just Googled that subject to see if there was any new info on the old argument of whether fish can see colors!! The real answer that I can see is that fish DO NOT see the same colors that we see, so a red & white lure might look like a gray and white lure to some fish, AND this depends on the depth and coloration of the water.
I remember college Biology 101 and 102 that our professor, who wrote the textbook, taught that fish do not have "cones and rods" and cones see the colors. Recent thought is that different fish see different colors, or shades of gray!!! Just go fishing...
Also, fish do NOT spook because of colors of kayaks....BUT....people die in kayak/boat collisions every year since the powerboaters do not see the kayaks, so my advice is to "BUT SOMETHING IN THE COLOR THAT OTHERS WILL SEE YOU"....!!!

Do not have any personal knowledge of that kayak since it is a new model and the Outfitters where I work P/T does not carry that brand....pretty hard to find any factual info on it since it is so new, and mags like "Kayak Angler" and others never tell the truth since they do not want to lose the advertising revenue that companies give to make their kayak sound great!!!

YOU: Also should I be concerned about gators while sitting in kayak seat while floating the Kissimmee river?
ME:
(1) Alligators are something you should always respect, especially in remote areas where they do not see boaters very often.
(2) When you hook and play a fish, try to shorten the time they stuggle and get it to and INTO the kayak quickly...and be VERY CAREFUL when you reach into the water to land a catch. A net may be a good investment to get fish into the kayak quickly!!
(3) NEVER, EVER PUT YOUR CATCHES ON A STRINGER IN THE WATER....YOU ARE TROLLING FOR ALLIGATORS...AND SHARKS TOO!!!
Make good buying decisions and Be Safe!!!
JohnYaksJax

TC&OKEE

Post by TC&OKEE » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Thank you for your info and input. Old Towne has the Kayak in a red camo like color. That's the one I preferred because it is very bright. On the Kissimmee river and its creeks the airboats can be at top speed and also ride the shorelines. Considering this and the fact that gators have attacked kayaks in the past, my red Kayak will most likely be in the Indian River Lagoon.

Fishinguy21

Post by Fishinguy21 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 am

I've heard rumors Bull reds will charge a red kayak, better be safe then sorry. :scratch: :lol:

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 am

Fish are color blind, color will make no difference whatsoever.

Buy the color that has best chance of keeping you from being run over!
"This is my signature not my facebook page."

mike holding

Post by mike holding » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am

It doesn't really matter what color you buy. Get what you like. It has nothing to do with fishing. I got ocean kayak prowler 13 in grey and off white. Last one i owned was Malibu x-factor that was in different color and my fishing wasn't effected at all.

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Color will not affect you catching fish as said . Gators are a fact of life in Florida . Depending where you fish , most will stay away from you . There will be one come a calling looking at you . I'm guessing these are the ones that people threw some food too . But out at Guana , I've never had a gator come into a close distance for example . If you are into duck hunting , them you would have to do something with the color of your yak . Good luck

hydrophilic

Post by hydrophilic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 am

I have actually heard some people swear they caught more fish out of a blue colored hull. I have never had blue boat so can not tell you that it will. However, I did have a red kayak that my fishing partner swore he could not see it a 1/2 mile away. Red is first color the light spectrum to disappear.

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Considering that we do not see light in the ultra violet spectrum, get the brightest color you can to make yourself as large an object as possible especially if you are fishing in busy waters.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

FLSalomon

Post by FLSalomon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Let me re-phrase your question - what color is easier for the FWC or USCG to see if they are conducting a search for you. Or for a power boater to see? Answer is yellow or orange. The fish don't care.

See my avatar - I have flown SAR over the ocean looking for people in rafts, etc. Yellow or orange is visible, almost every other color is tough to see.
F.L. Salomon

"I fear that when I am gone, my wife will sell my kayak fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it..."

Cwalte11

Post by Cwalte11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 pm

My kayak is neon green and have had no problem landing plenty of fish! Also like stated above, you probably want something visible to other boats for safety purposes.