Newbie-Kayak recommendations

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

nolenuttt

Newbie-Kayak recommendations

Post by nolenuttt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi-New to the forum, and a newbie kayak fisherman-Bought a Diablo Adios, and am looking to sell it.... I think I want to get a pedal kayak instead-Looking at the Hobie and the Native Watercraft models-Recommendations from you seasoned kayak fisherman? Thanks much for the help-Looking forward to driving up, meeting and fishing with you guys! Mark

Jwray

Re: Newbie-Kayak recommendations

Post by Jwray » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:27 pm

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Hello nolenuttt, and Welcome to JKF....
Just wanted to say Hello and give you a little thought...you said "drive up there" so guessing you are South of JAX, and I work P/T at Black Creek Outfitters and we sell BOTH the Hobie product line and the pedal drive yaks from Native...the Slayer Propel kayaks.
BTW....we also carry the Wilderness Systems and Perception products, you could come to JAX and paddle/pedal the Hobie Mirage Drive and Slayer Propel and Perception Pilots and YOU make the decision which one you like best and which fits your needs...AND which you trust the most to supply you with a reliable kayak.....
Please let me know if you are interested in doing this, and I will meet you there and have your choices ready to "test pedal" on the 22 acre F/W spring fed lake just 12 steps out our back door!!
Hope to hear from you...and good luck in your decision!!
JohnYaksJax aka John Stewart

putt&paddle

Post by putt&paddle » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:36 pm

Evening nolenuttt, if you can drive up to Black Creek and see John, it's the best investment you can make. I have bought all but one of my kayaks from Black Creek with John and you could not deal with more friendly, knowledgeable people. The lake in back makes it so easy to test paddle/peddle anything you are considering and research all the nuances of the boat on the water... how easy it is to access gear from the front and back, how tippy or stable it is, can you fish standing up, how it glides and tracks while paddling or when you stop paddling, and most important if your into fishing... how loud the hull slap is. Different design hulls can be extremely quiet or very loud sending fish in the opposite direction. When I bought the slayer, I was very fortunate to have a very windy day to test all this out and John was extremely gracious just letting me peddle around for over an hour. I live about 2 1/2 hours from Jacksonville but I will make the trip up every time I'm interested in something new. Just call and let him know when your coming up. Hope this helps. Tight lines. John
Diablo Amigo
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Gheenoe Highsider

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Hey "putt&paddle"....Thanks for the glowing "unsolicited" recommendation from you re: BCO and me....appreciate it greatly!! :salute:
JohnYaksJax

nolenuttt

Post by nolenuttt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Guys-Thanks for the info-I'll do that-I'll give Black Creek a call tomorrow!

unincom

Post by unincom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 pm

nolenuttt wrote:Hi-New to the forum, and a newbie kayak fisherman-Bought a Diablo Adios, and am looking to sell it.... I think I want to get a pedal kayak instead-Looking at the Hobie and the Native Watercraft models-Recommendations from you seasoned kayak fisherman? Thanks much for the help-Looking forward to driving up, meeting and fishing with you guys! Mark
I have a hobie outback from 2004 and it's still awesome. I can't comment on the native peddle kayaks, but I've heard they are awesome too. I started with a paddle kayak and upgraded about 2 years ago and I will never go back to paddling.

nolenuttt

Post by nolenuttt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 am

Really excited-going to Black Creek Saturday to try out several kayaks-Really nice people!

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:30 am

nolenuttt wrote:Really excited-going to Black Creek Saturday to try out several kayaks-Really nice people!
Always had a great experience at Black Creek. Worth the 2 hour drive to get there. Great staff, products and service. :thumbright:
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

nolenuttt

Post by nolenuttt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Took the journey to Black Creek yesterday-Took a fishing buddy of mine, and we compared the Native and Hobie Pro Mirage 14-both were great, but we both preferred the Hobie 14-Seemed more efficient, the drive system was much quieter in the water, and the Native is 40 pounds heavier....just need to decide the GPS to get for the yak-Great people at Black Creek-Definitely will purchase from them-AUSTIN was really helpful and Patient!

Any recommendations on a GPS unit? I plan on going lots of different places, salt and freshwater, and will be unfamiliar with most of them- :pale:

Kahuna13

Post by Kahuna13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am

Native is 40 lbs heavier?? Huh?? :scratch:

nolenuttt

Post by nolenuttt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:32 pm

That's what the salesman said-

putt&paddle

Post by putt&paddle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:53 pm

I actually feel my PA12 is heavier and wider than my Slayer Propel 13, but much easier to handle because of the exposed rudder on the Slayer. I actually had to get a Boondox Landing Gear so I could load, unload and launch the Native by myself. The forwards and backwards on the Propel unit is really nice to have, especially when I'm bass fishing, but since Hobie came out with the new reverse drive this year, I would have to lean towards the new Hobie just because of it's fishabilty and gear storage. One thing that Native hasn't solved yet is the Propel unit in the grass. The prop just clogs up immediately. The Mirage drive just doesn't have that problem. Both are great kayaks and each has certain advantages over the other.

Tight lines. John
Diablo Amigo
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Gheenoe Highsider

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Putt&Paddle (John) owns both and his information should be very helpful for you!!

There are some "apples and oranges" comparisons going on here!!!
The Hobie Outback and the Native Slayer Propel 13 are more direct comparisons!!
Since I still work P/T at BCO, I just wanted to keep you properly informed......

Here are the specs for the Native Slayer Propel 13: Length: 13' 2", 33" wide, Capacity of 400-450#, weight RIGGED is 101#. List Price: $2,599.
(all specs are from the Native website)

Here are the specs for the Hobie ProAngler14: Length 13' 8", 38" wide, capacity of 600#, RIGGED weight of 150.5#. List Price: $3,459.
(all specs are from the most recent Hobie product brochure)
Comes with Lowrance ready hardware for a FF/DF, and a paddle, and a rear skeg, and other features, none of which are included/offered on the Native Slayer).

Sorry that we did not connect to meet at BCO......JohnYaksJax

nolenuttt

Post by nolenuttt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:39 am

John-Thanks for clearing that up-I've got a guy buying my Diablo this weekend, and I'll be getting the Hobie-BCO is a great store, very helpful-The Pro Angler 14 is da bomb!