Quality inshore rod/reel combo

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

ssramage

Quality inshore rod/reel combo

Post by ssramage » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Getting some extra back from taxes and looking to add another rod/reel combo to my arsenal and could use some help. Looking for something nice that will last a while, and wanting to spend less than $400 on the total setup.

Currently I have a pretty basic assortment:
Shimano Stradic 2500FJ on 7' M St. Croix Premier - use for jigs and artificials
and 2 Penn Battle II 2500 combos - popping corks/live bait

Not sold on spinning vs casting (honestly I've never used a baitcaster but would consider).

What would you guys recommend?

SRAces

Re: Quality inshore rod/reel combo

Post by SRAces » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Asking what rod/reel combo to purchase for $400 is like asking someone what kayak to recommend. Let us know what type of fishing you want to do with the new rod/reel setup. That would probably help with the answers. You stated you have a Stradic and 2 Battle IIs. Both are great reels. Just tons of rods out there to choose from and the determining factor there is how you are going to use it. For $400 I would get 2 complete rod/reel setups for me. :D
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

ssramage

Post by ssramage » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

SRAces wrote:Asking what rod/reel combo to purchase for $400 is like asking someone what kayak to recommend. Let us know what type of fishing you want to do with the new rod/reel setup. That would probably help with the answers. You stated you have a Stradic and 2 Battle IIs. Both are great reels. Just tons of rods out there to choose from and the determining factor there is how you are going to use it. For $400 I would get 2 complete rod/reel setups for me. :D
Good point. I would imagine that this new reel would be used similarly to my current Stradic; pitching jigs, artificials and the occasional topwater; targeting redfish and trout.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 pm

That Stradic/St. Croix set up you have is what I'd get if I had a couple bills to buy a new combo...
That being said, the only reel I own that's over $100 is a Quantum Smoke inshore spinning in their 2500 size. It's super light and a blast to fish with.

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 pm

I fish the Gulf primarily with topwater and twitch/jerkbaits. Usually jigs with soft plastics/Gulp are my last resort when the other 2 methods aren't producing. I have fished all day on just topwater and caught several dozen trout. The key for me has been the weight of the setup. I started out with Penn Spinfisher V (4500) and Penn Battle II (4000) reels. Like them a lot, but my wrist would get sore after pitching or casting for 6 plus hours. So I looked for something lighter. I went with 2 Shimano Sedona 3000 reels. They weigh less than 9 ounces and have at least 18 pounds of drag. Can't beat that for the price. There is a listing today for 2 of those reels from an Ebay seller in Jax. Brand new ($50 each). Great price.

I have rods that run $150 or more but they aren't what I fish every weekend with. I use those inexpensive Gander Mountain Vortex rods because paired up with my Shimano Sedona reels, it gives me the feel I want twitching hard baits and the action of the rod to cast the distance I want. That is something you will have to figure out. It sounds like you do fish similar to me. Good luck!
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

ssramage

Post by ssramage » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:12 pm

SRAces wrote:I fish the Gulf primarily with topwater and twitch/jerkbaits. Usually jigs with soft plastics/Gulp are my last resort when the other 2 methods aren't producing. I have fished all day on just topwater and caught several dozen trout. The key for me has been the weight of the setup. I started out with Penn Spinfisher V (4500) and Penn Battle II (4000) reels. Like them a lot, but my wrist would get sore after pitching or casting for 6 plus hours. So I looked for something lighter. I went with 2 Shimano Sedona 3000 reels. They weigh less than 9 ounces and have at least 18 pounds of drag. Can't beat that for the price. There is a listing today for 2 of those reels from an Ebay seller in Jax. Brand new ($50 each). Great price.

I have rods that run $150 or more but they aren't what I fish every weekend with. I use those inexpensive Gander Mountain Vortex rods because paired up with my Shimano Sedona reels, it gives me the feel I want twitching hard baits and the action of the rod to cast the distance I want. That is something you will have to figure out. It sounds like you do fish similar to me. Good luck!
Thanks. I did order one of those Vortex rods based on your suggestion in the other thread to put on my Penn. I really don't need another setup for what I do, but I've kicked around the idea of getting something a little nicer to fish with. I love fishing with my stradic and it's night/day to the penn's...makes me almost not even use the penns, so I thought about having a solid backup for me and making the other's solely for guests.

troutsniffer

Post by troutsniffer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:09 pm

If you are looking for a baitcaster my number one recommendation would be the new Daiwa TWS Coastal. It cast great and is light weight. I've had mine now for a year and love it. I've put it on a St. Croix Legend Extreme Inshore rod and that combo is excellent. The rod is pricey and more than what you're wanting to spend but I would recommend going with St. Croix. I also have a St. Croix Triumph which is there low end model around $100. I love that rod I caught a tarpon on it and it's very sensitive. Another option yon might consider for a baitcaster is the Quantum smoke inshore baitcaster. This reel also casts great and is very light only draw back is less adjust ability for the mag brake but still a great reel. I have that paired with a 13 fishing Omen Green rod. The 13 fishing rods are quit affordable and good quality. My last suggestion would be the Shimano Curados. They are affordable, cast great, and durable. I have three of them because I like them so much. I would recommend pairing them with a Shimano Crucial rod also very affordable. Good luck and catch'em up!
YAK 904