Looking for some LA advice

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

rollin904

Looking for some LA advice

Post by rollin904 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Hope it's appropriate to post here, looking forward to a fishing trip with my dad in spring and we wanted to try our luck in the bayou. Anyone have some spots to recommend, preferably close to a state park or other place we could camp? Thanks in advance all.
Slayer Propel 13
Jackson Cuda 12

JohnYaksJax

Re: Looking for some LA advice

Post by JohnYaksJax » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello again, rollin904.....nice to see you in here again and certainly it is FINE for you to post questions like your in here!!

I know that a good buddy SRAces was just over there for a group outing, so I sent him a PM and I hope he gets back to you pretty quickly.
I have never fished LA....so it will be a benefit to many of us!!
Take care...JohnYaksJax
PS: I like the "Maryland Crab" logo....neat!!

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:08 pm

I just asked my Louisiana group for input. Fresh and saltwater. Will let you know what I get back. When I went there last for the Boonedoggle, I did not fish where the event was. Drove 1 hr and 45 minutes south to fish the bayous south of New Orleans.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 pm

rollin904 wrote:Hope it's appropriate to post here, looking forward to a fishing trip with my dad in spring and we wanted to try our luck in the bayou. Anyone have some spots to recommend, preferably close to a state park or other place we could camp? Thanks in advance all.
Rollin904,

Post some specifics here on what you want to accomplish or PM me. I have several of my LA friends willing to provide some guidance. Where do you want to fish in LA? Saltwater, freshwater or both. Hotel, camping or RV. Timeframe you want to go.

Steve
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

rollin904

Post by rollin904 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 pm

SRAces wrote:
rollin904 wrote:Hope it's appropriate to post here, looking forward to a fishing trip with my dad in spring and we wanted to try our luck in the bayou. Anyone have some spots to recommend, preferably close to a state park or other place we could camp? Thanks in advance all.
Rollin904,

Post some specifics here on what you want to accomplish or PM me. I have several of my LA friends willing to provide some guidance. Where do you want to fish in LA? Saltwater, freshwater or both. Hotel, camping or RV. Timeframe you want to go.

Steve
Awesome, thanks so much Steve. We're primarily aiming to do inshore salt for trout and redfish. We'll probably camp (or rent a house if the price isn't bad), also depends on if my uncle goes. Don't mind driving to launch but would be neat to find a spot where we can fish and camp from the same location.
Slayer Propel 13
Jackson Cuda 12

rollin904

Post by rollin904 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm

JohnYaksJax wrote:Hello again, rollin904.....nice to see you in here again and certainly it is FINE for you to post questions like your in here!!

I know that a good buddy SRAces was just over there for a group outing, so I sent him a PM and I hope he gets back to you pretty quickly.
I have never fished LA....so it will be a benefit to many of us!!
Take care...JohnYaksJax
PS: I like the "Maryland Crab" logo....neat!!
Hey John, it's been a while! I moved up to MD earlier this year but I do miss fishing in Jacksonville. I visited my folks for thanksgiving and made sure to bring my kayak, probably got at least 6 days on the water during our visit :cool:
Slayer Propel 13
Jackson Cuda 12

navy1970

Post by navy1970 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:38 am

I was stationed there in the military for 3 years. There are so many places to fish. I fished a lot down in the Port Sulphur and Venice area. Grand Isle is another good place. She'll Beach area can be good. I had a boat then not a kayak but I am sure there is plenty of fishing there to do from one.

rollin904

Post by rollin904 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 am

navy1970 wrote:I was stationed there in the military for 3 years. There are so many places to fish. I fished a lot down in the Port Sulphur and Venice area. Grand Isle is another good place. She'll Beach area can be good. I had a boat then not a kayak but I am sure there is plenty of fishing there to do from one.
Right on thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking forward to learning the area a bit since my dad grew up there before moving to Florida.
Slayer Propel 13
Jackson Cuda 12

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:01 am

My friends are recommending the following places:

Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville
Grand Isle State Park (Close to Fouchon and Leevile) Can fish the Gulf side or behind the island
Pointe Aux Chenes Kayak Rentals - has a house boat, camping spots, kayak launches and phenomenal fishing

Hope this helps you out.
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

rollin904

Post by rollin904 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 pm

SRAces wrote:My friends are recommending the following places:

Fontainebleau State Park, Mandeville
Grand Isle State Park (Close to Fouchon and Leevile) Can fish the Gulf side or behind the island
Pointe Aux Chenes Kayak Rentals - has a house boat, camping spots, kayak launches and phenomenal fishing

Hope this helps you out.
It does, thank you. I'm going to show this to my dad and let him do the planning, too busy between school and work myself!
Slayer Propel 13
Jackson Cuda 12

Actionjack63

Post by Actionjack63 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:37 am

Grand Isle State Park. Excellent spring opportunities.
Here's a recent nearby catch.Image

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk