Skiff vs. kayak?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

deltafishing

Skiff vs. kayak?

Post by deltafishing » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi guys, thanks for all the great info on this board. I'm possibly moving to Amelia Island in 2017 and wondering about the areas y'all usually fish. Is it mostly super shallow around there and better for kayak fishing, or is it spread out more and deeper, lending itself more to having a power boat to run around? I have a 16 foot boat currently, but am considering a pedal kayak and wondering which I would use more.

Thanks!

keastman

Re: Skiff vs. kayak?

Post by keastman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:23 pm

can't comment on the terrain but Soloskiff would get you the best of both, motor to you spots, paddle once you get there.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello deltafishing, and Welcome to Jax Kayak Fishing!!

First of all, where are you possibly moving to Amelia Island from??
Just wondering if you have any saltwater and tidal water experience....??

The vast majority of people in here have kayaks of some type, altho there are several members who have small powerboat skiffs, or Gheenoes or a newer small skiff product named the Solo Skiff and both have advantages...and disadvantages too. There are LOTS of threads on here about both products and their benefits.

I work P/T at a local outdoor reseller named Black Creek Outfitters and we carry BOTH brands of "Pedal" kayaks...the Hobie products and the Native Slayer products and we have a 22 acre lake right behind the store where you can "test drive" BOTH brands and their models!! Please let me know if/when you might want to do that and we can meet there and do some demos!!

IslandSpeed2001 (Jerry) in here is a active Solo Skiff proponent and he lives up in the Amelia Island area, so maybe he can take you out in his skiff up there....I am pretty sure he will spot this and get in touch with you too.

Let us know if you will be in JAX anytime soon, and I am certain we can let you "test drive" some options!! Take care and please keep in touch....JohnYaksJax

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:21 pm

ive got a solo skiff and recently purchased a kayak. wouldn't trade the solo skiff for anything. best purchase ever. the extra kayak is for when I have a guest.
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

SeaDog

Post by SeaDog » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 am

It is nice to have options. Keep the skiff and get a kayak.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
"Wow! What a ride!"

Jwray

Post by Jwray » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:37 am

Keep the boat. Buy a kayak. After a year, you can decide. I have both and can tell you I could live without the boat, but not the yak.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:41 am

Lots of big deep water up here. Sure, you can get into the shallows back in the creeks but primary water is previously described.

As someone mentioned, I have a Solo Skiff which allows me to cover lots of water. However, once I get to where I wish to fish, I can paddle or pole.

Might also add that there are a limited number of places to launch on Amelia Island. Because of that, this can limit where you fish with a kayak.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

weimed

Post by weimed » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:56 am

if you want best of both worlds then get a Gheenoe, they can pole where the kayaks paddle and motor/troll around. the 13 highsider weighs just as much as a hobie pro angler 14 + you can go with a buddy or a family member. Honestly my Gheenoe drafts in less water then a peddle kayak (with the motor up).

WoodyHuband

Post by WoodyHuband » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:03 am

You already own a 16' boat (I assume it's a fishing boat). I'd use it in this new area until you decide that you need something different.

keastman

Post by keastman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:33 pm

One other thought, use your boat, get a small 10' fishing yak you can stick in the boat, then you can do both. Boat to where you want to go in most conditions, then hit the interior areas in the kayak once your are there.

deltafishing

Post by deltafishing » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll be moving from coastal AL, I have a 16' center console. Sounds like it may be a good move to keep it since there's deep water around. Probably looking at moving to somewhere around Fernandina Beach.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Give me a shout when you get here.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

deltafishing

Post by deltafishing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Will do thanks!