Trailers

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

flteng

Trailers

Post by flteng » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Looking to either purchase a trailer or put one together. Anyone tried the trailers from harbor freight? Got some pics? Looking for a min ability to hold two more likely three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

islandspeed2001

Re: Trailers

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Look at the tire ratings on any trailer you purchase. Highly recommend you get some rated for over 70 mph. Most of the cheap HF trailers are only rated for 50 mph.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 pm

Agreed with Island on what he said . Look on craigslist for an seadoo trailer being sold , that's what I got . Perfect for the Yak , or small boat if you got both .

stacktester

Post by stacktester » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:58 am

The HF trailers are over $300 now. Do yourself a favor and go get you a continental trailer that's double the price but will last you many years.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 am

stacktester wrote:The HF trailers are over $300 now. Do yourself a favor and go get you a continental trailer that's double the price but will last you many years.
Also look at the Magic Tilt MT trailer at $600+. Both are quality trailers, galv, buddy bearings, tongue jack, winch, hwy rated tires,
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

You have to time it right for the HF trailers to be the deal. They're frequently on sale for as much as 40% off. I paid well under $300 for my folding trailer with 12" tires that have seen hours on the highway at 75+ mph, and the tires still look new. Just don't get any of their trailers with the wee little 8" tires, and you'll do fine, especially for hauling a few hundred lbs of kayaks. I also wouldn't advise buying their boat trailer if you're planning on wet launching because it probably won't even last a year before rusting apart. I got the folding one so I could easily store it out of the elements in my garage. My trailer is rated for 1,720lbs, but even when using it to haul other things (one of the reason why I got this trailer) I've never even come close to half that capacity. If you're hauling for longer distances, I think you're problem will be the bearings (especially if you don't take care of them) long before you have a problem with the (especially 12") tires. Just FYI, with the HF kits the bearings are NOT packed -- they just have some "shipping lubricant" in them. When you assemble the trailer, you'll need to clean that "shipping lube" out and repack the bearings properly.

I've been using my HF trailer for 4 or 5 years now (can't remember at the moment), and it's still going strong with no issues. I mostly use it for hauling my 85lb Scanoe around, but I've also used it for hauling my 65lb kayak (when I don't feel like car-topping it). It's also been used for countless trips to Home Depot (mulch, sod, lumber, etc.), as well as hauling furniture to Goodwill and even moving some college kids a couple of times now. I haven't had to use my spare tire yet, but I have loaned it to others 3 times so far when their boat trailer tires ended up with a flat. The biggest surprise to me is that my spare has been returned to me every time and all three of those times it was loaned to complete strangers.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

dakotared

Post by dakotared » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:01 pm

After searching for several months on craigslist, I broke down and got a continental trailer for my yaks. Couldn't be happier, paid around $700 for it but I've had no problem going what ever speed I wanted and the trailer still looks great after 6 months.Highly recommend them.

904NATE

Post by 904NATE » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:25 pm

I did the same .found a 2015 4 yak continental trailer on Craigslist for 700. It's seen multiple Key West trips and trips to Palm Beach as I offshore fish there often .
" IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WHEN YOU IGNORE YOUR LIMITATIONS "

Mudfish

Post by Mudfish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:04 am

Another option...

I use my Continental Cargo MPT-581 ATV/motorcycle trailer. The front gate folds down and locks, which is great for kayaks.

Excellent product.

Payload Capacity: 1,600 Lbs
Tire Rating: 5.30 x 12 C Load
Wheels: Galvanized steel
Tongue: 2 Position, tongue extends additional 24"
Black Powder Coat
Overall Width 69"
Overall Length 154"
Welded heavy-duty steel tube frame
60" Ramp(s) 1,000 lb.
Removable tube steel sides
12V Lighting complies with DOT requirements
2 heavy duty light protectors
Axle and Hub: Solid square tube straight axle w/ spindle
E-Z lube hubs w/ Zinc lugs and lug nuts
Plus, trailer tilts/dumps
$600 FB Trailers

Very versatile trailer. I'll be using it tomorrow to haul a bunch of old privacy fence panels to the dump.
Attachments
Continental Trailer.jpg
Continental Trailer.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 6834 times
Last edited by Mudfish on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13 ~ 2012 Native Mariner Propel 12.5

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:10 am

Good stuff above this post......
At BCO, we sell the Yakima, Hobie/Trailex, Continental, and Malone trailer products, and must agree that the Continental brand is the best "bang for your buck" of those four brands.

I love the Yakima but the price point is pretty high, altho they are the VERY BEST ones we sell in quality, speed allowed, weight capacity, tire size and highway rating, and accessories.

The Continental ships to BCO on a truck bed fully built by them, and they unload them at our shop. The "selling point" to me is that THEY build them, instead of us assembling them at the shop...saves us time and manpower and "why not let the people who make them...build them??" Their "price point" is very good for either their galvanized or aluminum trailers.
Anyway, the Continental brand should at least get your attention, and if you check their website, they have models/products for nearly all sizes of kayaks and powerboats too!!
JohnYaksJax

f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:20 am

Another vote for Continental , been dragging mine all over the state for 2yrs without issue. I have the 4yak aluminum one.

putt&paddle

Post by putt&paddle » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 pm

One more vote for the Continental. F86 turned me on to the same one he has. Great trailer!! Got it from Gulf to Lakes in Lecanto. Tight lines. John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
Diablo Amigo
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Gheenoe Highsider

CARiD

Post by CARiD » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:42 am

Yakima trailers are not bad as well. They are quite price when new, but you can try to find a used one. Some of the also utilize skinny tires which is better for the gas mileage. Did you consider roof rack with a Kayak carrier as an alternative, because they are pretty convenient (you can check few type here: Kayak Racks & Canoe Carriers at CARiD ) Plus there are some carriers with convenient load systems, so if your kayak is pretty heavy, you can load it up by yourself.

weimed

Post by weimed » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:00 am

I use the northern tool trailer with 12" tires (pretty much same as harbor freight). I had 4ft welded onto the tongue and it runs very good at 70-80mph (even though the tires are not rated for that speed). Every time i go fishing it's an hour every time from Orange Park to Heckscher drive. No problems so far with at least 15+ trips under the belt (knock on wood). I really like the Magic Tilt trailer and plan to get one when I upgrade from my 13ft Gheenoe.