New Classic catagory?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

islandspeed2001

Re: New Classic catagory?

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Interesting fact. The 10 largest reds averaged 37". The average length of the red for the 10 best slams was 30.1.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Mon May 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Plan B wrote:
TrouserTrout wrote:
15"'s or 2 minutes?

That's what I tell my girlfriend.........
She always gets stuck with 2 minutes though.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

Trapper Jeff

Post by Trapper Jeff » Mon May 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Wow what a thread. This is a tournament to help support Heroes on the water and the Down Syndrome Association of Jacksonville two great local charities. I have been fishing this tournament for 10 years and has seen a lot of changes but the rules need to stay the same. The thrill of this tournament start turn at the beginning of May we start getting our rods and reels ready for the big day when Friday rolls around and we show up at the captains meeting with all the excitement from everyone is a thrilling experience. My son took second place in the slam this year first day on the water in over a year for him so anyone can get lucky and have a banner day maybe next year it will be you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Prostaff - Native Watercraft
Native Mariner 12.5
Native Slayer Propel
Team SureSet

HoosierPaddler

Post by HoosierPaddler » Tue May 17, 2016 8:16 am

KayakMike wrote::demonstration: Actually it is those that didn't that are driving it... :demonstration:
:iroc: Proud to be driving a healthy discussion...Merica
Winner and Champion of the 1st annual "2008 BOOB- A-Q Trout Shoot Out"
Voted Outstanding "Zilch" Player Pellicer Creek 2007/2008
Undisputed and Undefeated Washers Champion Pellicer Creek 2008
JaxKayak Freakin Moron - Pro-Staff

HoosierPaddler

Post by HoosierPaddler » Tue May 17, 2016 8:22 am

Sure Catch wrote:BTW I'm all for changing it if that's what needs to be done.. Myself I must rather chase a big trout and good flounder than a bull red.. I had my trout and flounder the 1 st hour, took my son a little longer to get his trout but we spent a long time looking for a bull.. A much rather get a fast creek red then spend the next 8 hours on a good trout and flounder instead of 15 mins on a trout and quit after the 1st flounder... So if they change it that's fine with me, I much rather focus on a big trout and flounder than a bull red. Just don't like the sport going backwards that's all.. AGAIN either way is fine with me, I see both sides
Totally agree with you Eddie and let me tell you why. It is because this is what we do when we fish around here. I would like to hear from those that go out on a Saturday or their day off and fish for these big bull reds on a regular basis. I doubt that are many. Maybe I am wrong.
My .02
HP

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:27 am

islandspeed2001 wrote:Interesting fact. The 10 largest reds averaged 37". The average length of the red for the 10 best slams was 30.1.
Looks like the Creek/Lake people out fished the River people. Maybe we need a special division so they can be winners :lol:

If you read Matt's tournament fishing report, you should easily know that he was the best fisherman. He had a plan and worked it..... successfully. To me, this is what tournament fishing should be about. Not trying to catch the big one and then fill in the slam with "other" fish. The same can be said about our local Dina boy. He is always up there on the podium!
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Sure Catch

Post by Sure Catch » Tue May 17, 2016 9:38 am

No one is wanting changes or different categories besides folks that don't fish the river.. The lake to me is worst then anything, a "Land Locked" lake.. Not a creek, or river its a lake.. I'm used to boat tourneys where no land locked areas are allowed.. That being said its open to every one and anyone can do it, hell that lake has 40" bulls in it so don't know why that isn't a problem. End of day anyone can fish any where, its about choice's, make one and go for it.. Don't know why one is a problem and one isn't, so one is 40ft deep and one is 4 ft deep, does that matter? No because you still have to catch them, just go fish and don't dog the other guy for doing something you can't and choose not too..
Hustle in silence, let your success make the noise!!
SureSet Jigs
Werner paddles
Native watercraft
MirrOlure

Dreads0518

Post by Dreads0518 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:43 am

Everyone has a fair shot of getting on stage. And I mean everyone.
The Classic should not be handicapped because some feel they have no chance.
If I remember correctly there have been kids on stage with the adults.
A 10 year old girl beat out seasoned veterans.
So my advice is, prepare, prepare, prepare. Ask, ask, ask. Don't be afraid to seek help and advise.
Everyone here is willing to help.
Example: A buddy came from Tally to fish the Classic,, so he don't know theses waters. He asked advice about an area he wanted to fish, myself and others (he doesn't even know) gave advice on the spot. He took 3rd in trout and never fished that place before.

You can do whatever you want if you're willing to put in the work. Even win the Classic.
Oh yeah, last years slam winner was from savannah ga.
Stop complaining and use that energy to improve your fishing skills.
After extensive, diligent, and scholarly research, there is NO evidence that life should be so serious.
Ultimate 14.5

jbond352

Post by jbond352 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 am

islandspeed2001 wrote:
islandspeed2001 wrote: If you read Matt's tournament fishing report, you should easily know that he was the best fisherman.
Where can I find this? I was curious myself about his day!
Bic Ace Tec Wing 12'6"

Starboard 14' All Star AST

SKITTERDONE

Post by SKITTERDONE » Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am

Its on his fb page.
Diablo Paddlesports
TAllen Rods
Egret Baits
I use them because they work.

SKITTERDONE

Post by SKITTERDONE » Tue May 17, 2016 11:25 am

I have been enjoying the heck out of this thread btw. I believe this happens every year. Just a real quick sidenote. The first time I fished out of a kayak was ten years ago in this very tournament. Although I have fished my entire life kayak fishing was a whole new concept and such a unique way to approach fishing. I adapted a fishing style and tweeked it to the guidelines of the Classic. Every now and then that style lands me on the stage and I can not wait for the next year to try and improve on what I have learned. I for one love the Classic and we all are very fortunate to have something of this magnitude in our back yard. Doesnt really matter in my opinion what size the fish are, it is still about catching all three on demand in one day. If you catch all three then you give yourself the chance to place. If you dont catch all three or two or one then guess what. Learn from the experience and take pride in knowing that you were a part of something great and there are a ton of people in need that are gaining from you doing it. See all of you next year.
Diablo Paddlesports
TAllen Rods
Egret Baits
I use them because they work.

MrTopWater

Post by MrTopWater » Tue May 17, 2016 12:12 pm

[quote="Dreads0518"]Everyone has a fair shot of getting on stage. And I mean everyone.

So my advice is, prepare, prepare, prepare. Ask, ask, ask. Don't be afraid to seek help and advise.

Example: A buddy came from Tally to fish the Classic,, so he don't know theses waters. He asked advice about an area he wanted to fish, myself and others (he doesn't even know) gave advice on the spot. He took 3rd in trout and never fished that place before.

That's right Keith, I had never met Brad and was happy to help when you and Jerry approached me at the Captains meeting. I met Brad at the launch that morning, we looked at the area on my phone, gave him a little advice on some areas that usually produce trout and he seals the deal with a trip to the podium.

I was so stoked for him...and would do it again.
Kevin

Native Mariner 12.5
Diablo Paddlesports Adios

HoosierPaddler

Post by HoosierPaddler » Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Dreads0518 wrote:Everyone has a fair shot of getting on stage. And I mean everyone.
The Classic should not be handicapped because some feel they have no chance.
If I remember correctly there have been kids on stage with the adults.
A 10 year old girl beat out seasoned veterans.

You can do whatever you want if you're willing to put in the work. Even win the Classic.
Oh yeah, last years slam winner was from savannah ga.
Stop complaining and use that energy to improve your fishing skills.
Hey Hey Hey....When did voicing your opinion become complaining? I believe that with all the time I have put into this tournament that I have earned the right to an opinion and to voice that opinion. You are better than that Keith. That being said I really believe there is a problem and if it does not get fixed, i think this tournament could be headed for a decline. I was really surprised at the number of first time anglers at this years tourney. There are many many regulars that you don't see any more. I wonder where they have gone and why. I love the Classic and have been involved since it started. I have stuffed thousands of captains bags, sold more raffle tickets than I could count, cleaned hundreds of table etc. I fished this thing every year for the first 8 or 9 years without feeling the need to voice an opinion, but I have to do what I think is right. I really think for the most part this has been a great discussion with very little name calling. I applaud all that have contributed to this discussion.
my .02
HP

Dreads0518

Post by Dreads0518 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:11 pm

There's a difference between opinions and complaining.
If you wasn't complaining then that sentence didn't pertain to you personally.
And my opinion is, the system works. It's been proven more than once.
After extensive, diligent, and scholarly research, there is NO evidence that life should be so serious.
Ultimate 14.5

jaxcreek

Post by jaxcreek » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

A simple web survey to all 7,197 members would put this to rest and as a community we could move forward with sharing our fishing reports.
Native Slayer 10
Solo Skiff
A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK