New Classic catagory?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

flteng

New Classic catagory?

Post by flteng » Sat May 14, 2016 10:31 pm

Had a great time met some cool folks and the money went for a great cause. Maybe next year there should be a professional category for those who make their living on the river. Kinda levels the playing field a little and makes it more competitive for those folks who only get out on the weekends. Looking forward to next year. Or maybe there could be a fall/winter event.
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

syl17

Re: New Classic catagory?

Post by syl17 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Amen

SKITTERDONE

Post by SKITTERDONE » Sun May 15, 2016 9:33 am

There maybe only half a dozen people who make their living on the river on this site or who fish the classic.
Diablo Paddlesports
TAllen Rods
Egret Baits
I use them because they work.

Sure Catch

Post by Sure Catch » Sun May 15, 2016 10:09 am

No one makes a living but hard to say separate category for folks who fish the river, a lot of folks fish the river, and I say 90% stuck out.. The River is like Restrooms now a days, everyone is welcomed haha
Hustle in silence, let your success make the noise!!
SureSet Jigs
Werner paddles
Native watercraft
MirrOlure

flteng

Post by flteng » Sun May 15, 2016 10:28 am

I want all to enjoy this event and it is a great event. But one the winners is a professional guide. Weekend fisherman aren't even in the same class as those ringers and thereby stand little chance of competing for the top prizes compared to the professional fisherman. I am not saying don't let them complete but compete in there own class. That gives all an equal chance with in their class. This event has growing and some changes might be for the better. Better yet I'll put my money where my mouth is. I volunteer to help out in next years event drop me a line.
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

jaxcreek

Post by jaxcreek » Sun May 15, 2016 10:38 am

flteng wrote:I want all to enjoy this event and it is a great event. But one the winners is a professional guide. Weekend fisherman aren't even in the same class as those ringers and thereby stand little chance of competing for the top prizes compared to the professional fisherman. I am not saying don't let them complete but compete in there own class. That gives all an equal chance with in their class. This event has growing and some changes might be for the better. Better yet I'll put my money where my mouth is. I volunteer to help out in next years event drop me a line.
This is a great event and I wish we have it twice a year, but I agree with you. At least 80% of people are weekend fisherman, fishing creeks. These guys work hard to improve their skills and deserve a chance to compete. I'm not going to suggest any categories but it's something to think about. I'd hate to see someone opens another website and starts building a new community.
Native Slayer 10
Solo Skiff
A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

JR

Post by JR » Sun May 15, 2016 10:47 am

It is definitely something we are considering for next year. Just have to figure out how to structure something like that. But just know...we hear you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Sun May 15, 2016 11:03 am

JR wrote:It is definitely something we are considering for next year. Just have to figure out how to structure something like that. But just know...we hear you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Excellent feedback Jud.

I still second Jerry's (islandspeed2000) thought process. By keeping the Red category unlimited. However limit the red size to 37" for the slam so the emphasis on the trout and flounder are more pronounced. Jerry correct me if I am wrong on this quote.

My $0.02 now.

This year is a great example where the slam was taken by two great fish in red and trout and backed up by an average flounder.
Red - 34.5
Seatrout - 32.0
Flounder - 15.0

Without that 32" trout second place was at 19" so it shows how much the trout and flounder should have an affect on the SLAM. In my opinion thats what its about. Not just a single fish overshadowing the other two and taking up the slack.

Even 5th place was a respectable finish with a smaller Redfish compared to the top 4 spots. Where the trout and flounder brought JasonSC into a podium spot. (Largest flounder in the top 5!)

Red - 25.5
Seatrout - 22.5
Flounder - 17.0
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

Sure Catch

Post by Sure Catch » Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 am

The winner wasn't in the river, he got them studs in the Lake.. caught the biggest trout of his life, super good guy that had his best day ever.. those days don't happen often but did for him.. being a guide or not it's fishing..
SureSet Jigs
Werner paddles
Native watercraft
MirrOlure

Sure Catch

Post by Sure Catch » Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 am

I understand everyone wants the best chance to help THEIR SELFS out but end of the day you must be very lucky to win a tournament like this.. it's huge, slot of bait in the water and with that many anglers some one is going to get lucky.. Instead of starting topics on how we can change the rules to benefit themselves, it should be congrats to the winners for killing it, and congrats to Jud, Jess, and craig for the hard work and congrats to the charity that just gotten a ton of money to help these kids out.. Crazy how the world is changing, everyone needs to be a winner and have a trophy, no feelings can be hurt, boys use girls bathrooms and all this nonsense.. In life you win some you lose some, but in this event everyone is a winner because you have a great time and helped a lot of kids out to fish and have a ton of fun.. 400+ anglers your change aren't very good to win, limit it to whatever you want your chances are going to stay the same I assure you..
SureSet Jigs
Werner paddles
Native watercraft
MirrOlure

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Sun May 15, 2016 11:29 am

Sure Catch wrote:The winner wasn't in the river, he got them studs in the Lake.. caught the biggest trout of his life, super good guy that had his best day ever.. those days don't happen often but did for him.. being a guide or not it's fishing..
Your right, I was impressed when he shared his story on catching them. 11 miles is a lot of paddling.
Sure Catch wrote:Crazy how the world is changing, everyone needs to be a winner and have a trophy, no feelings can be hurt, boys use girls bathrooms and all this nonsense
We had a similar conversation at our table yesterday. Society has gotten soft.
Sure Catch wrote:400+ anglers your change aren't very good to win, limit it to whatever you want your chances are going to stay the same I assure you..
Agreed, however I think it's more along the lines of people continuing to participate when they believe they have a higher chance of winning. Sure newcomers may replace those who don't return next year. I personally enjoy seeing those same people come back. (2nd year for me). People fish the event because they want to win, they don't fish it because of where the money goes (mostly). Where the money goes is great and I'm a supporter 100% (have a cousin with DS) and I'm a vet myself and seeing HOW benefit as well is great to see. I'm glad it goes to non-profits personally.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

tdsdad

Post by tdsdad » Sun May 15, 2016 11:44 am

keep the same rules but limit the length to legal size-most of the big reds are caught in deeper water that most recreational kayakers don't want to take on, or don't have the skill set (or pedals to keep you in the spot). Will everyone then have the same 27" red?-of course not-check out all the other tournaments and see how hard it is to catch the perfect 27-this levels the field against all the people who sign up to fish this event-and if you catch a 45" red, you don't get to claim 27"-just bragging rights at the dinner-maybe a calcutta for biggest bull?-in my opinion (yeah, I know, who asked me?), this would give even the most inexperienced kayak fisherman a chance to win, even if they only fish one creek inshore near their launch-
take your kids fishing-someday they will take you!!!!

http//www.inshoreadventures.net-a daily fishing report

kayakling

Post by kayakling » Sun May 15, 2016 11:46 am

Mostly a weekend warrior and proud of it. Big fish or heavy fish are the name of the game in fishing completions. Will always respect the Classic regardless of what they do though.

Sure Catch

Post by Sure Catch » Sun May 15, 2016 11:51 am

If you cancel big reds would you cancel guana? its a land locked lake, cancel one a whole can of worms open up.. I don't get the whole GIVE everyone a chance in life, everyone has a chance just either if they take it or not.. day after the Classic and the what about us is starting lol, never fails
SureSet Jigs
Werner paddles
Native watercraft
MirrOlure

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Sun May 15, 2016 11:56 am

Sure Catch wrote:If you cancel big reds would you cancel guana? its a land locked lake, cancel one a whole can of worms open up.. I don't get the whole GIVE everyone a chance in life, everyone has a chance just either if they take it or not.. day after the Classic and the what about us is starting lol, never fails
Personally whatever they choose to do is fine with me. I am going to fish the tournament regardless. I tried the river this year and failed. I'm just voicing what I hear because others won't have the chance to voice theirs here. Best way to get feedback is this forum, if people don't say anything. Then nothing will happen for sure.
| Sua Sponte |

| 904-256-4985 |