Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Jwray

Mirage drive SUP

Post by Jwray » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:58 pm

jbond352

Re: Mirage drive SUP

Post by jbond352 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:12 pm

I totally thought it was an April fools joke....because that is what this thing looks like.
Bic Ace Tec Wing 12'6"

Starboard 14' All Star AST

Fish & Paddle

Post by Fish & Paddle » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:15 pm

It looks like fun (and exercise), but it doesn't look like it would fish very well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sandy

Native Slayer Propel 13 (Copperhead)
Native Slayer Propel 10 (LIzard Lick)

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:30 pm

JWray.....that is Hobie's latest announcement....and it was announced before the big ICAST Show or the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City, which is unusual but very timely.

Hobie has had a full lineup of SUP hard boards, and almost two years ago they introduced an Inflatable SUP which uses the Mirage Drive from a seated position:
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-i9s/
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-i11s/
It comes in 3-4 lengths and fits a nice niche for people with little storage space....especially for use as a dinghy or for people who live in and travel in an RV....it takes up very little space!!

The new Mirage Eclipse is a traditional "hard board" with the Mirage Drive and it will be available in two lengths and the "stair stepper" design should make it a big hit for the fitness and yoga crowd. Joe at BCO was invited to and went out to California for the announcement and we should have a demo model sometime in May...will update this as I know more info!!
Thanks for posting this new video....much better that the shorter on I saw earlier!!
JohnYaksJax

gumby

Post by gumby » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:08 am

JohnYaksJax wrote:JWray.....that is Hobie's latest announcement....and it was announced before the big ICAST Show or the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City, which is unusual but very timely.

Hobie has had a full lineup of SUP hard boards, and almost two years ago they introduced an Inflatable SUP which uses the Mirage Drive from a seated position:
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-i9s/
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-i11s/
It comes in 3-4 lengths and fits a nice niche for people with little storage space....especially for use as a dinghy or for people who live in and travel in an RV....it takes up very little space!!

The new Mirage Eclipse is a traditional "hard board" with the Mirage Drive and it will be available in two lengths and the "stair stepper" design should make it a big hit for the fitness and yoga crowd. Joe at BCO was invited to and went out to California for the announcement and we should have a demo model sometime in May...will update this as I know more info!!
Thanks for posting this new video....much better that the shorter on I saw earlier!!
JohnYaksJax
Do you know how much they will be going for?
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

jbond352

Post by jbond352 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:15 am

Just shy of $3000
Bic Ace Tec Wing 12'6"

Starboard 14' All Star AST

gumby

Post by gumby » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:11 am

jbond352 wrote:Just shy of $3000
Thats a big hole burnt into my wallet
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:20 am

Oh No :scratch: Not a "motorized" SUP :fart4: What is this world coming to :?:

Evolution Baby :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Hey Gumby...and others.....

More information directly from the Hobie website:
“We designed the Mirage Eclipse so anyone from a beginner to a more athletic expert user can all have a great experience,” Jim says.

There are two models, the Mirage Eclipse 10.5 and 12. The larger version is 12 feet long and 35 inches wide, rated for 275 pounds. The hull weighs 48 pounds. The 10.5 is 33.5 inches wide and ten and a half feet long. The capacity for the more compact model is 225 pounds. It weighs about 5 pounds less than the larger model.

Riding the Mirage Eclipse is an exhilarating new experience – it glides across the water with ease and precision. The Mirage Eclipse is another world’s first for Hobie, just like the modern foam core surfboard (1958), the Hobie Cat sailboat (1968), the Mirage kayak (1997), and the hybrid Adventure Island (2006), plus many more.

Optional accessories include a protective board bag and a cart with light duty wheels or sand tires. A cup holder and universal phone mount are available to keep riders refreshed and ready to capture every memory.

The Hobie Mirage Eclipse 10.5 ($2499) and 12 ($2599) will be available at Hobie dealers around the world later this spring. www.hobiecat.com/stand-ups/mirage-eclipse

Will let you know when I hear that BCO has them....JohnYaksJax

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Just saw this email to employees at Black Creek Outfitters:

"We have sold out of the first shipment of Hobie Mirage Eclipse SUPS.
We have sold 1 from the second shipment."

JYJ: Sounds like we are selling them faster than they are shipping!!! :shock:

Personal note...I am not certain that they are better than other Hobie SUP products to fish from...YET!!! You know how good Hobie is for adding accessories to existing products... :salute:
JYJ

NoeEttica

Post by NoeEttica » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:39 am

I think that drive sticking out of the bottom kinda defeats the purpose of an SUP ! :smoke:
If it Floats it's good

Gheenoes are how I float ...

To contact me visit my web site and view my video clips

http://www.noeettica.com/

keastman

Post by keastman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:22 pm

SUP=Stand up Peddle Board in Hobie vernacular

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Had a BCO Staff Mtg. yesterday and Joe told us that we now have payment in full or deposits on 10 of the Hobie Eclipse Mirage SUP.....and none have shipped to dealers yet!!

He and his wife both got to test drive them on their trip to California and they were fast and stable...after you got used to standing and using the Mirage Drive, and some people have tried sitting on a YETI or Oasis cooler with rodholders attached, and pedaling them while sitting down.

Our Area Rep from Hobie is supposed to bring his demo unit to BCO later this week and we can test drive it on the lake behind the store, so I might have to give that a try!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: Keastman....you PEDAL a Hobie Mirage Drive....you Peddle or sell/barter/trade goods and services....figured you would know that by now!! LOL!! :salute:

keastman

Post by keastman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:20 pm

All depends on where you went to school John. :D My Uncle used to tell me about women that peddle their ass around town, I always thought it meant they rode bikes. Now I have to rethink that whole scenario. Thanks for the enlightenment!

NoeEttica

Post by NoeEttica » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Bring one of those bad boys to Silver Lake

I will race them to Istachatta and back :smoke:

I run 28 mph in 8" of water

But seriously though I'd like to rent one for a couple of hours ... :thumbleft:
If it Floats it's good

Gheenoes are how I float ...

To contact me visit my web site and view my video clips

http://www.noeettica.com/